+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Have you attended a family reunion?

If yes, what were some of the things that made it great?

Aside from spending time with and catching up with family of course.

I'm thinking along the lines of activities, special touches etc...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

My family get together are always memorable for the food, we have long tables and everyone sits together it's so nice. Also we always take an 'official' picture so over the years we can see how the family has evolved and changed. Can't beat the old pictionary, get a big board from office works and let the laugh start!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

We used to go on a family camp..... Lol it was AWESOME!!
    We slept in log cabbins, had a fire pit, all the woman would be in the kitchen cooking HUGE meals for dinner hahahha, we had games of football and t-ball. Oh and wink murder... Lol that took sooooo long hahaha and about 4 decks of cards!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This is the reunion for DHs great-grandfathers descendants, just from DHs grandfather there are over 200 people, most of who will come, same with the other 12 siblings descendants.

We'll definitely have a group photo as a whole, then the individual branches.

We've got accommodation/kitchens mess hall etc... at our family meeting grounds.

I know there will be a lot of informal sports games, races, slideshow, tour of historical family sites.

Just trying to think of what we're missing.

I'm compiling a family book to go with it too.

What do you think of family tees, colour coded for each family line?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a massive family. Some things which has been lovely over the years are photo boards and members sending it their favourite family photo. Its great for the younger generation to see old family pics. We also each sent in a story about our Nan for her 80th and it was compiled into a book for everyone to look at on the day. Video montages are good too. Depending how big your family is you might need name tags. Massive family photo is a nightmare at the time, getting everyone organised and ready to say cheese at the same time but well worth the trouble. We also had our photographer stay all day so individual families could opt in for just family and kids photo shoots. A videographer could be good - going around asking everyone about what they've enjoyed the most about the day - then you can send it our after the event and watch it at future events.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Kinda of.

A lot of my family lives over in the eastern states and a good chunk of them came over for my nans 80th birthday so it was pretty much like a reunion!

I found it so strange (in a good way) seeing all these people who I was related to for the first time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Descendants from my Dad's father (my grandfather) and his brothers & sisters get together every 5 years. It started because a select few cousins (my dad's generation) complained that they only got together for funerals. It's usually HUGE!!

The family lines all have THEIR colours (never changes). It's held either in in SEQ or in FNQ (big branches in both areas). It's got to the point where there is a committee each time, a bank account for meals etc. There are mixed family teams for clean up/food prep etc and it's organised as a rotating roster.

You can tell that there are a couple of school teachers and big personalities that controlled the initial set up, but it keeps it pretty smooth. We also do the regular board games (good for all ages), a talent night for each branch of the family to 'show off'. Somehow the males in my branch always end up in drag but that's another story.

It's fun to catch up, however I'm dreading when it's my generations turn to organize it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I think we're going to hire a photographer and do different groupings. Most important photos first, then down to least important groupings so we get the necessary ones in. I think a photographers daily fee spread between a few hundred people will be very affordable. I really don't want to be roped into taking the photos.

I love the photo board idea so much.

I'm thinking a concert night too where each family does an item.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just thought of a game you could play - the one where you guess who the baby in the photo is. Kids especially love it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tropical Bub View Post
    Descendants from my Dad's father (my grandfather) and his brothers & sisters get together every 5 years. It started because a select few cousins (my dad's generation) complained that they only got together for funerals. It's usually HUGE!!

The family lines all have THEIR colours (never changes). It's held either in in SEQ or in FNQ (big branches in both areas). It's got to the point where there is a committee each time, a bank account for meals etc. There are mixed family teams for clean up/food prep etc and it's organised as a rotating roster.

You can tell that there are a couple of school teachers and big personalities that controlled the initial set up, but it keeps it pretty smooth. We also do the regular board games (good for all ages), a talent night for each branch of the family to 'show off'. Somehow the males in my branch always end up in drag but that's another story.

It's fun to catch up, however I'm dreading when it's my generations turn to organize it.
    Sounds very much like us, we have a committee too and a treasurer for every country (USA, UK, HK, AU and NZ), then we're planning to do mixed family teams for chores/cooking to get to know each other better on a rotating roster, each has an 'aunty' assigned to it to ensure it's done right.

So do you do coloured tees?