+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help with new formula

So we've gone through about 6 now,
    Heinz nurture, nan AR, bellamys organic, nan ha, novalac colic and now on novalac reflux, bub was reflux and colic and since changing to reflux novalac she's spewed more than ever. Doctor believes she has colic an reflux and has been an extremely unsettled bub on all. Thinking of trying a goats milk option but wanting too see if anyone else has the same. She's 8 wks and on losec already. Already do elevation of bassinet, etc etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi, how come you have tried so many different types in such a short time? I thought they recommend trialling each formula for 2 weeks or so to see how your bub reacts as it takes time for their system to adjust. Your bubs stomach could be unsettled just from the constant change in formula. My 7 wk old bub is on losec. She was on nan ha but we changed to Karicare when the drama happened with nan. My baby still vomitted alot so we now use a thickener in each bottle & she has been much better since. How long has she been on losec? I've heard that can take a few weeks to work also. Try sticking to one formula for a few weeks to see how she goes but if you are worried I'd ask the dr for a referral to a paed. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Help with new formula

Quote Originally Posted by Jenga View Post
    Hi, how come you have tried so many different types in such a short time? I thought they recommend trialling each formula for 2 weeks or so to see how your bub reacts as it takes time for their system to adjust. Your bubs stomach could be unsettled just from the constant change in formula. My 7 wk old bub is on losec. She was on nan ha but we changed to Karicare when the drama happened with nan. My baby still vomitted alot so we now use a thickener in each bottle & she has been much better since. How long has she been on losec? I've heard that can take a few weeks to work also. Try sticking to one formula for a few weeks to see how she goes but if you are worried I'd ask the dr for a referral to a paed. Good luck!
    This.
    Also we use SMA. It's cheap and she tolerates it ok. So we stuck with it. It's not heavy like some of the others.

Sent from my GT-S6500T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    OK, so I agree with the PPs about the rate you've changed formula, you need to give it at least a week to see the effects. I went through five myself and used novalac reflux, which was great for us. One thing to be aware of is that the losec limits acid production and so the milk will not thicken well. DD spewed heaps on the losec, it was thinner and less clotted... don't give up, but please try and give things time to settle in and calm down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I agree that you need to give a formula at least two weeks to see if it works... I understand how tempting it is to change sooner again though! DS is 11 weeks and has been on 4 types... We were told to change him yet again to a goat formula but decided to wait until he had been on Bellamy Organic at least 2 weeks before doing so. I'm glad we did as he is heaps better now...

I hope you find one that works for you soon as I know how horrible and stressful it is!

Thanks
    Reviews

We tried Heinz for 2 weeks, didn't work, we bought nan ha which was advised by doc then I saw health nurse that day and said it should of been nan ar which wouldn't even go through the bottle despite me putting holes in it, colic formula was tried for approx 3 weeks and then we tried the organic and it was a big no no aftee the second bottle, she would reduse to take it at all and then the reflux for about 2 which she was more sick on that then any other so she hasn't had w dif one every week. She's now been on karicare de lact for about a week and I seem to have a fairly different baby so I think I may have found one that's working. But yes I will stick it out and see

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

If using a thicker fluid use variable flow teats. Also they still will spew. Doesn't stop that. My ds is on losec and chucks all the time..