+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How much 'interaction' do babies need during the day?

Hi,

I was just wondering what people to do entertain their babies around the 4-7 month age - or before they can crawl.

My DD is nearly 6 months old and I usually either lay her on the floor to play with her toys or put her in her bouncer to play with her toys. Sometimes I play with her, sometimes I don't (depending on what I need to get done around the house)

I'm just not sure if I spend enough time with her. I often put her in her bouncer and I'll get housework done or like now sit on bub hub!

I wonder if I need to be spending more time with her or what I'm meant to do.

I always have our TV on during the day for my entertainment, but she usually can see it from where she plays or sits in her bouncer, sometimes she will watch TV (kids shows like Dora etc) while I'm in the shower or the bathroom etc. I wonder if this is okay for her too.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out if I'm being lazy by leaving her to play on her own, if she 'watches' too much TV or if I should be interacting with her more, opinions welcome - I won't be offended, promise!

Are there any other ideas for entertaining her? She's my first bub, so I'm not sure what's appropriate / necessary for her development.

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews

Hey my baby is 9 months now but at around that age I felt the same as you as they don't do a real lot.
    But I think what you are doing sounds fine.
    They need to learn to occupy themselves as well as interact with us. Otherwise we would never get anything done!

I also have the TV on all day and always have and it won't hurt. I usually have abc2 on and he will watch the shows he likes and play with me or on his own in between.
    My eldest watched a lot of tv and he's 7 and he's completely fine and normal

I find that if my baby was happy to sit and play alone then it's ok to leave them be, they will cry or whine when they want you to play anyway. It's just about finding a good balance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I used to take DS out a lot at that age, parks, cafes, visiting or at least a walk around the block in his pram just to get him out of the house!

I think it is good to let them play alone occasionally as well , we used to read to him a lot and didn't really let him watch any tv properly until he was about 18 months and that was just play school

when I would make dinner I'd sit him in his high chair in the kitchen and show him what I was making and how etc
    - also we used to talk to him non stop , it looks funny having a one sided conversation with a 6 month old but everyone tells me this is probably one of the reasons his speech is so good for his age now!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (25-08-2012),Cat21  (25-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is 7 months. He loves his jumperoo or we play on the floor or in his cot. I take him for a walk every day or out in the car sompewhere for a walk. Also he plays in his cot or we play with our dogs and read books.
    I don't have the tv on during the day. He only has 45 min naps so I try to do washing or whatever when he's sleeping. I don't do too much housework as its too stressful trying to fit everything in. DH does heaps!

Thanks
    Reviews

I am not sure there is a prescribed amount of time you should play with them but with my DS he was never happy when i was out of sight so he demanded loads of interaction.

I personally dont like young children watching tv but everyone has different opinions.

I alternated between putting DS in his high chair or on a play mat close to me otherwise he was in a carrier. I talked to him about what i was doing. Even though they cant understand i believe its good for their language development.

We went to gymbaroo and baby swimming classes, which provide good interaction times. Walks in the out doors are also great for them.

Its hard juggling running a house and raising a baby, but i am a firm believer in the more you put in, the more you get out. Enjoy

Thanks
    Reviews
    My baby has just turned 4 months and barely sleeps during the day (3 x 20-40 min naps, if I'm lucky!). One of which we go for a walk, the other two I run around like a crazy person trying to keep on top of housework. So he is awake a lot! I struggle to entertain him too. Though unlike your bubs he demands my attention and only plays by himself for 5 min or so before yelling out for me!

Do here are some of the things we do.
    Lots of playing on the floor, front back and both sides
    practice sitting
    playing under playgym
    Playing in activity ccentre
    i sing lots of songs with actions an constantly chat to him
    playing with toys in bouncer

Youre lucky that your baby is content to play by themselves! Maybe you could move the bouncer around the house with you and talk put what you are doing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I forgot that when he was smaller i carried him in the carrier a lot while I did things and he did gymbaroo on a Saturday from 5 months and under the playmat too. He also has a little walker car. But as long asim with him he doesn't like to be alone too long like everyone else has said.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I too do not like leaving children under 2 with the TV on.

at the age your bub is (my DD2 is 2mths younger) my DD1 used to sit in her bouncer/rocker in whatever room I was in. I'd chat to her, sing, etc. Or I would take her outside in pram whilst I hung out the washing etc.

I had a spotlessly clean house as I would clean/tidy with DD1 near me all the time.

DD2 is in her bouncer/rocker/playmat whilst awake as I potter around the house whilst DD1 now 2yo watches 1hr of TV a day. Sesame st in the mornings and occ Playschool in the afternoons. Or she is in the carrier with me.

Otherwise the TV is not on. But I have the radio on all day.

Thanks
    Reviews

My mum used to run a Montessori childcare centre and she drilled into me from Day 1 how important it was to fill DD's environment with exciting/interesting/stimulating things.. So I personally am not a fan of leaving babies to entertain themselves, I just think the early years are when they need the most nurturing

but a lot of my friends do that, they leave the tv on with bub in the room, or leave bub to entertain him/herself - for them it's just a normal, everyday thing...

I'd do things like: put her in her bouncer or on the floor and play with her using her toys, lay down next to her in her playgym, bought heaps of baby board books (touchy feely types) and showed them to her, supervised short bouts on her jolly jumper with music on, danced with her in my arms to music type kids shows, sang nursery rhymes to her and helped her with actions, put her on a towel and slowly dragged her round the floor, introduced her to different textures through play etc there's heaps of ideas on the Huggies or raising children network websites so I was never short on things to do..

I also tried to take her out once every day, to the park, gymboree, playdates, swim lessons.. Even if it was just a walk around the shopping center to people watch

If i did need a break, I would put her down in front of the tv for half hour, and pop in a "Baby Can Read" DVD

My daughter is now almost two, and has the most inquisitive, happy nature, always eager to try new things.. I'd like to think it is partly due to her "early years" Am hoping to do the same when DD2 comes along in November, but will have to incorporate an energetic 2 yr old into the activities somehow

Edited to add: I probably don't have the most spotless home around but I do most of my chores during naptime, or after bedtime... Or just do them less frequently haha
    Last edited by jo7; 25-08-2012 at 14:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DS is nearly 8 months. In the mornings I usually let him have a play by himself with his toys on the floor or he's in his walker while I'm showering. Then he's having brekky so there's loads of interaction, I interact ie sing/talk every time I change his nappy too.
    After his morning nap I put him in his high chair and he's with me while I'm cooking, cleaning the kitchen, we usually listen to some music too.
    I leave him alone to play on the floor - my philosophy is that children need time to themselves to explore and learn to enjoy their own company - they don't need to be entertained all the time.
    I don't feel the need to entertain all the time either, sometimes I do but we have lots of incidental interaction and togetherness through regular daily activities.
    I don't use the telly too much these days (early on I found I had it on in the background) I'm not opposed to it, I just think we're too busy at the moment, that could change.

We also have activities we go to - rhyme time at the library, he has daycare twice a week, mothers group once a week. We also go for a short walk every day. Sometimes we have days where we don't go out at all, just some down time which is nice occasionally but would do my nut in all the time!