+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How to keep the toddler happy when you feel like dying from morning sickness????

I feel like I'm neglecting my very active 2 year old and I'm so grumpy feeling so sick I just want to be left alone to curl up and sleep! Plus I'm snapping at her every other minute through no fault of her own. There is no one to help out most of the day and nothing makes me feel better other than laying down or sleeping Suggestions please?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How to keep the toddler happy when you feel like dying from morning sickness????

I've been on 'bed rest) for almost six weeks and have a very active 16 month old
    No one around to help out either.

I sit outside and kick a ball to him so he can still run around and burn some energy.

Also do lots of painting, drawing, playdough, and water play.

Our new favourite is playing with shaving cream (outside or in the bath)
    It's so easy to just hose off or rinse down the drain

I also just started freezing things in coloured water and let him hammer away at it outside until he finds the toys.

I think that's mostly what we do other than the usual reading/toys/tv.

Hope you are feeling better soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was in hospital for 5 weeks and she was SUPER clingy when I got home, but I was stuck on the couch for another 4 weeks, mum was here though which I'm lucky but hi5 has been a godsend!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Abc for kids! Yes it's TV, but it's only for a few weeks. Hope you feel better soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been going through the same thing. Morning sickness is over but now it's third trimester tiredness. Here are a few things we've done:
    • Google/Pinterest Montessori activities. Even if you're not into the Montessori method there are some fantastic play ideas using things you have around the house.
    • Water/sand table. The sand was too messy combined with water so I have water table on the deck. While he plays with that I sit in a big comfy armchair and relax! If you don't have an actual water table just use buckets and containers.
    • Fill up balloons with water and let them play with them in the bath or shower. I always got in with him when it was so bad and needed something to wake me up a bit.
    • Get a small table or bookshelf (or even a few boxes) and grab a whole heap of items from your pantry (tins, unopened packets of pasta or rice, jars that can't be opened easily) and set up a shop. Give them a basket, write some dollar amounts on some paper (or print images from online) for money and let them play shop. This will keep my son amused for hours.
    • Teddy bear's picnic. Grab a big blanket, some cups and a teapot or even do this around snack/lunch time and have an actual picnic inside or out.
    • Cardboard boxes! It does require a bit of effort but you can make things like a mailbox or even a garbage truck out of boxes and it will provide hours of entertainment.
    • Get paint card samples from Bunnings and cut them up. There are heaps of activities you can do with these. DS just loves matching up all the different shades of colours and then he'll usually look around the house for matching colours.
    • Little kitchen. If you don't have a toy kitchen just improvise using a small table or even coffee table. Bring out some containers, mixing bowls, things to stir, etc.
    • Get them to collect leaves, twigs and flowers from outside and use them in activities or painting.
    Today I'm using a big piece of cardboard and drawing parking spaces big enough for matchbox cars with letters and numbers in each space. I then write each letter and number on cut up pieces of cardboard and for each card he picks he has to park the cars in the matching space. He is loving learning the alphabet at the moment so it's not something I would have done earlier.

There have been so many days where organising any of these seems like too much hassle so I try to organise as much as possible when I'm having good days and even on the bad days 15 minutes setting something up is worth what they get out of it and the lack of mummy guilt from not being able to do as much with them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    tv
    rotate toys so they don't get sick of them
    if it's sunny take them outside to run while i curl up on a chair outside and watch

It is awful but i found i felt much better once i got into the second trimester.

Thanks
    Reviews
    ((hugs)) It is really hard!
    DS is 8 months and I am semi-struggling at the moment.

I have created a busy box. With activities but at the moment he just likes breaking things and making a mess! DH is helping big time when he gets home from work but it's still so hard!
    On my good days (full zofran days) I do as much as I can, Take him outside and let him play in the baby bath outside (It's hot here!).

Hopefully this pregnancy is nothing like his. I had Morning sickness right up until the day we delivered so hoping it goes at 12 weeks this time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by citycowgirl View Post
    I feel like I'm neglecting my very active 2 year old and I'm so grumpy feeling so sick I just want to be left alone to curl up and sleep! Plus I'm snapping at her every other minute through no fault of her own. There is no one to help out most of the day and nothing makes me feel better other than laying down or sleeping Suggestions please?
    It was only a few months ago i was in your position. If you are feeling anything like i was,.... although the suggestions for activities to do with your toddler that have been given are absolutely WONDERFUL.....i personally didnt have the energy or motivation to even set any of it up or sit there the whole time while dd painted, played with sand, playdough ect. I didnt even want to go outside i was so nausious achy and tired!!
    So this is what i did....
    DVD's, books, and i made a bed for myself on the floor so i could lay next to dd and read books to her and also while she entertained herself. Toddlers dont need to have you playing with them all the time, its actually good for them to learn to go off and do their own thing. So dont feel guilty if you think your neglecting your toddler, chances are he/she's enjoying wondering about by himself and completely content!
    Even just have his favourite toys around, maybe a couple puzzles at his reach and some pencils and paper. I guarantee this will help you out.
    DD lived on baked beans and toast for lunches for a about a month lol and dinners were just leftovers re-heated. I made it really easy on myself. When DH came home from work, i'd get in a couple hrs sleep while he had his time with her, prepared our dinner, cleaned up ect and i'd be up to see dd off to bed, feeling a little more refreshed. DH was wonderful. He somehow knew just what i needed - sleep!
    On the really, really bad days i had to call my mum. She lives 2 hrs away and she was here in a heart beat for me. Took over everything, got the house looking great and got dd out of the house for a play/library/lunch ect.
    Goodluck, remember it will pass! just think your growing a baby - its all for a good cause lol
    Take care and go easy on yourself, it can be hard at times.
    Last edited by Hunkamunka; 26-08-2012 at 10:36.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh dear the memories just come flooding back reading these posts....Get Hubby or DP on board. My DP used too make up DD's lunch box with lunch, snacks etc he'd prepare her water bottle and milk bottles (she was on cold cows milk) before/after work, he even showed her how too open the fridge and get out her own yummies. He'd even prepare her breakfast so all I had too do was add the milk to her cereal, he'd even put the bread in the toaster so all I had too do was hit the button too cook it LOL. We bought one of those little playgrounds/climber type things and put it in our lounge as well. Of course TV, DVD's etc.....Some days I used too be sooo exhausted/feeling like crap that I'd just lay on the couch all day, DD would absolutely trash the house, DP would come home and have too pick it all up, poor guy!! I used to feel really bad for being sick but just remember it's only for a couple months!!! And you will have one or two days a week where you might be feeling a bit better - make the most of it!! Take your little one out, get as much housework done as possible, find things that will work for you all when your back too feeling sick again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel better just reading all this and knowing others are having the same problem! DD is almost 3 and is absolutely hopeless at entertaining herself. So far hasn't been too bad as DH has been off work but he's back to work next week so I have to manage.... sigh. Have just started on Zofran for the morning sickness. Don't feel very happy about taking it but I think I'll reserve it for the days when I have to look after DD by myself just so I can get through the day