+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default A lady just tried to scam me at the supermarket checkout!

So I load my groceries on to the checkout and this lady sort of hovers around the end of the belt, then puts her carton of eggs on the belt right near my stuff and I hadn't finished unloading the trolley yet. She walks off to get something else and I move her eggs right to the end of the belt and put a 'next customer' divider thing between my stuff and the eggs and bread this lady ends up putting on the belt.

Checkout operator scans all my stuff and then I look up to see that this ladies eggs and bread have been scanned with mine - because the lady 'buying' them had moved the divider to include them in mine! I tell the operator 'thats not mine' so she reverses it off my groceries. The lady with the bread and eggs then says 'oh you could have just put it through on your card and I'd have paid you the money'. I just smiled at her and kept pushing buttons on the eftpos. She the. Looks at the operator and says 'it was $5! And she won't do it for me! Awwww'. This was all said in a 'joking' tone. I started to feel really uncomfortable and then just smiled and said 'if you'd spoken to me about it earlier, I would have'. Got my receipt and went to walk away.

As I walked away, I think i heard this woman say to the operator 'I can bring the money back to you…… well, I'll have to put the eggs back.'

Now, keep in mind that I'm not sure if that was what was actually said as I walked away but I'm slightly shaken and a bit miffed that this lady tried to scam me like that.

If she really needed the stuff and couldn't afford it, I'd have gladly bought it for her to help her out. But to try and get me to do it by first being sneaky and then when that didn't work, to try and guilt me into it? I just think that's Incredibly wrong and rude.

What's your take on it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Bizarre! I wonder if she's just so embarrassed about her financial situation she acts a bit strange. When people are stressed they can do some weird stuff!

I'd feel the same as you I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think she's a cheeky bish and totally tried to scam you! Sorry that happened to you OP I'd have been fuming!

Squeegee is offline Wanting to add a new squeegee to the family
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Have to agree. I think that's just rude...esp seeing she tried the same thing twice. I'd be very unimpressed.

to you. I hate the feeling of being scammed (or even nearly being scammed)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Yep I'd feel the same as you OP.
    Regardless of your situation you don't try and get things dishonestly.
    Having said that though if someone genuinely asked me for help like that I'd have no problem doing it as I've been in that situation.
    But don't do it sneakily!

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd have said something along the lines of "You realise that if I'd paid for that, I would have taken it with me right?". I would have demanded the money in my hand if she'd tried to scam them out of me, otherwise I'd take them!

I wonder how many times she's done it and people have just gone "Oh, never mind, just take it. It's only $5." not realising she'd scammed them. If I hadn't noticed those items going into my shopping after I'd already removed them from my shopping, it's probably what I would have done.

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews

Lmao bunny girl that's kinda funny but i would of reacted the same way as you but freaked out more haha. I do understand she could of been embarrassed about not being able to afford it but that's not the way to go about it at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    wtf. That is the dumbest scam I've ever heard of.
    I'd have been miffed too.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would have been incredibly uncomfortable in that situation, for sure....

BUT..

..coming off the back of the thread the other day about helping out people in need by buying them food and things like that, it is interesting to see the comments calling this lady nasty names straight away. Maybe she was totally embarrassed and was hoping she could talk to you after they had been bought (privatly, away from the cashier and other customers) and given you her story as to why she couldnt pay. Then again, maybe she was just one of those people who arent all there, if you know what I mean?
    I do agree though that shoving them onto your things is really really weird and would make anyone uncomfortable.

Thanks
    Reviews

She *could* have been less fortunate but she could have also said that to the checkout girl what she did to try and get the girl to say "oh I will discount them for you"