ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 9 year old says he's being bullied and doesn't want to be alive anymore.

Is there any way you can mediate with his parents so that the boys confront their issues and put it behind them?

Thanks
    Reviews
    All good advice. Your poor little man, I would be so upset and angry if this happened to one of mine!

Just another thought - you said he has friends that come over to your house but won't play with him at school? If your know the parents well, maybe you could have a chat to them, see if they can gently encourage their kids to support your little boy when he's being bullied - you never know, they might have some insight into the situation too?

My 10yo had a friend being bullied at school recently and I am so proud of him for standing up to the bullies on behalf of his friend - I can only hope that should the reverse happen, he'll have someone there for him.

Definitely take it up with the teacher AND the principal.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default 9 year old says he's being bullied and doesn't want to be alive anymore.

If it were my son I would be devastated but I would get him tough quick. Forget scouts...go to karate, tai kwon do...they teach self worth, discipline and physical strength.

At my school we don't encourage hitting back but we do encourage resilience. Teach your child to 'fight back'.

The latest research in bullying shows that the kids that get bullied are generally the really nice kid who may lack social confidence.

Sometimes you can't change the other person but you can change yourself.

Hope this helps. I really feel for him. Help him become a cool confident kid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can guarantee, too, that this bully won't only be targeting your child. You may be surprised that other parents will open up about their experiences with the child as well. The principal is probably well aware of the problem, they usually are.

With my kids, while they've never had anything on the scale of what you're describing, they have had problems with certain kids. What we've found is that usually everyone ends up working out that this cool kid, this bully, is actually not worth the effort, and that kid ends up (by grade 7) being known as a troublemaker, so the well balanced kids with good self esteem are able to deal with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would call the school right away, most have a zero tolerance policy on bullying and would want to know urgently if this was happening.

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh I am an upper primary teacher and yes u must also report it to principal and teacher. Document all correspondence. Put stuff in writing. Make sure the principal and teacher give u written confirmation of how they will tackle it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by Bell & Bug View Post
    I would definitely see his teacher and even the principal.
    Gosh I can only imagine how much it must be tearing you up inside. How awful.
    In the meantime, I'd have a good talk with him, and tell him that what these kids are saying are not true, that he is a lovely boy, focus on the positive things about him so that he can see that they are wrong.
    ^ This.

The best way to combat bullying is to build a child's self esteem, so is there an activity you could enrol your son in that he would do well at? Tae Kwon do? Soccer?

It's easier said than done I know.. My heart breaks for your poor boy..

Best of luck...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Do NOT put up with that crap. The bully is only doing so because he can get away with it. See the teacher ASAP, get his class changed if possible. Go to the principle if you get no joy from the teacher...if nothing changes change schools , and DEf change scout groups ...why have someone nasty if every aspect of your kids life?

Good luck !

Squeegee is offline Wanting to add a new squeegee to the family
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hopefully2 View Post
    Oh I am an upper primary teacher and yes u must also report it to principal and teacher. Document all correspondence. Put stuff in writing. Make sure the principal and teacher give u written confirmation of how they will tackle it.
    Totally agree. As a teacher too. But I also like the other suggestions of building him up when he's at home. Little notes in obvious places for him.

For both of you. Praying for strength to stand up and go into at for your kid.

Thanks
    Reviews

I don't have a school age child but I was bullied at school myself and it was horrible, I carried scars from it for years. I don't want to freak you out just my experience was that talking to teachers or to the bully really never helped me if anything it gave more ammunition to the bully. It only stopped when we moved and changed school, the only thing that kept me going was that I had friends outside of school so apart from the fact that i was picked on at school I had a life outside of it.
    If you can't put him in a different school encourage him to make friends outside of school and try to build his confidence up, being bullied shattered mine and really only worked through it in my mid 20's.