+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Long term depression and anxiety limiting my life

I just wanted some advice/debrief about how I have been feeling lately.

I have been feeling increasingly frustrated that I am limited in what I can do in my life because of my mental health issues. I feel fragile and scared to push myself for fear of having another breakdown. I am not currently having issues with anxiety but maybe a little depression hanging around. I have recently moved house, sold our previous house while at the same time working part time and looking after my increasingly active 18mth old DD. I feel like I have been running on adrenaline but now am coming down to normal life.

I have obviously been under a lot of pressure recently and as a result have been physically sick 3 times I have been very moody and feeling very flat. I am getting frustrated as I realise that I can't do the things I want to do - like staying busy or consider working more - as I am sure that I would get sick again. I always feel that I need a lot of downtime to keep my brain healthy - something which is hard to do with my DD. I am also considering having another child but am really scared that I would suffer from severe AND again or not manage with 2 children.

I don't like the thought of these conditions controlling me

I am not sure if this makes sense but if has definitely helped just writing this down ... I am hoping this will help me understand my feelings so I can explain them to my dh.

Thanks to anyone who reads this

I posted this in the private section but it seems pretty quiet in there...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,
    I don't know what you have learnt in the past to manage these feelings but I wonder if some dbt strategies would help you. Google 'find a psychologist' and find one that uses dbt. I really think these would help to get a hold on your feelings.

I can imagine it would be difficult to live a full life when you feel limited by your mental wellbeing.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thank you for your reply. Yes maybe it is time to go and see my psychologist again, it has been a while. Thanks again 

missybubble is offline I'm a strange one, but I'm good at it :)
    Thanks
    Reviews

Do you take any sort of medication to help with your depression and anxiety? It can be a huge help. I suffer from severe depression and will be on medication the rest of my life. It's taken a long time but I've finally accepted I need it to live a normal life. Not everyone does of course but it may help you to get yourself back on track.

Is it your anxiety that makes you physically sick? That used to happen to me too over a period of about 18 months - talking about it actually seemed to help and after a while it never happened to me again.

Thanks
    Reviews

Big hugs!!

I had a huge break down after ttc for years. I somehow decided I wasn't meant to be a mother again, as couldn't even cope with the children I had. That was it. Off to the doctor I went. Being back in meds for 1.5 yrs now. Just a low dose and feel much more "myself" again!

Now you have been under heaps of pressure. There is nothing wrong with having a little down time to gather and order your thoughts and feelings! At the moment when things are getting on top of me I do breathing exercises, them ask myself is it rational for me to feel this way, what triggered it, how can I distract myself from my current train of though/action etc.

Hope you feel better soon. Depression and anxiety suck **** for me they feed eachother!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by missybubble View Post
    Do you take any sort of medication to help with your depression and anxiety? It can be a huge help. I suffer from severe depression and will be on medication the rest of my life. It's taken a long time but I've finally accepted I need it to live a normal life. Not everyone does of course but it may help you to get yourself back on track.

Is it your anxiety that makes you physically sick? That used to happen to me too over a period of about 18 months - talking about it actually seemed to help and after a while it never happened to me again.
    Yes I am on an antidepressant - I was on another but have recently weaned off of it. I can't imagine life without it. It does have side effects but I have realized they are a necessary evil.
    I think it is a combination of my physical and mental stressors that have contributed to me being sick. I have a day with nothing major planned so am going to have some rest today - as much as you can with an 18mth old 
    I think I just need to accept like you that this is it for me - luckily I have a very supportive dh but even he is getting a little frustrated lately as I have been acting out of character.
    Thanks for your help.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Bizzybee View Post
    Big hugs!!

I had a huge break down after ttc for years. I somehow decided I wasn't meant to be a mother again, as couldn't even cope with the children I had. That was it. Off to the doctor I went. Being back in meds for 1.5 yrs now. Just a low dose and feel much more "myself" again!

Now you have been under heaps of pressure. There is nothing wrong with having a little down time to gather and order your thoughts and feelings! At the moment when things are getting on top of me I do breathing exercises, them ask myself is it rational for me to feel this way, what triggered it, how can I distract myself from my current train of though/action etc.

Hope you feel better soon. Depression and anxiety suck **** for me they feed eachother!
    Thank you for your support. Yes I will make an effort to have a rest and hopefully that will make me feel better.
    That breathing exercise you do reminds me very much of cognitive behavioral therapy that I have done. What a good reminder for me to start doing that again.
    Thanks again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi
    I suffered from severe anxiety for several years in my early 20's. It is a very debilitating thing to go through.
    The things that got me through were making sure I was eating really well (I dropped to 42kg and became very ill), seeing a psychologist, making sure I exercise and get outside even if I didn't want to and even if it's only for 10 minutes.
    I think with children it can be harder to make time for yourself but I think in your case it needs to be a priority - I would make sure I book in half a day a week (get someone to mind your child, use occasional care whatever works for you) and do something each week for you. That way when things get tough during the week you have that to look forward to.
    First thing though is book into see a psych or counsellor, they can make a world of difference.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by happy2bmum View Post
    Yes I am on an antidepressant - I was on another but have recently weaned off of it. I can't imagine life without it. It does have side effects but I have realized they are a necessary evil.
    I think it is a combination of my physical and mental stressors that have contributed to me being sick. I have a day with nothing major planned so am going to have some rest today - as much as you can with an 18mth old 
    I think I just need to accept like you that this is it for me - luckily I have a very supportive dh but even he is getting a little frustrated lately as I have been acting out of character.
    Thanks for your help.
    I have a very supportive DH too, it doesn't stop me feeling guilty if e is taking more "burden" than he should though, then the cycle begins again.

Maybe just doing some things you enjoy with your LO will help? Take her out for a walk, to the park, maybe there's a lake or pond you could go duck feeding?

I find when all else fails getting out of the house/situation helps immensely!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Bizzybee View Post
    I have a very supportive DH too, it doesn't stop me feeling guilty if e is taking more "burden" than he should though, then the cycle begins again.

Maybe just doing some things you enjoy with your LO will help? Take her out for a walk, to the park, maybe there's a lake or pond you could go duck feeding?

I find when all else fails getting out of the house/situation helps immensely!
    I did just that today actually and it really helped. I was wishing my dad would come over and help me with dd and by some coincidence he just turned up. Quite out of character too. We went for a short walk and had some lunch and a coffee and it really cheered me up. He said it cheered him up to
    I have realized that I am still sick (as in physically) so I think that has a lot to do with how I am feeling. I think in time it will start to feel easier. I also bought my DD some chalk today so she can go outside and go crazy ob the paving so it gives me a bit of time to myself even just 5 minutes helps

Btw I get that whole 'burden' thing too - I feel for my dh as he ends up doing more to compensate for me but I try to remember that when I was really sick he did everything so anything is better for him than that.