+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Reproduction is a natural process (generally speaking). Birth control is a choice.

Thus choosing to be childless (I know some people don't have this choice, I don't mean them) is a lifestyle choice and there's nothing wrong with that, but the natural order of things can't be considered a lifestyle choice IMO.
    This is my stance as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Are children a "lifestyle choice"?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby star View Post
    I dont believe it is if you are a casual employee?

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub
    It's a grey area but in some instances casuals are also entitled. There is info on FWA site.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Reproduction is a natural process (generally speaking). Birth control is a choice.

Thus choosing to be childless (I know some people don't have this choice, I don't mean them) is a lifestyle choice and there's nothing wrong with that, but the natural order of things can't be considered a lifestyle choice IMO.
    This

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Renesme View Post
    Yes it is silly. So someone likes to refer to having children as a lifestyle choice. You know what? There are more important things to be worried about like children dying of starvation. I can't believe some of things people get upset about on here.
    If you think the thread is ridiculous why comment? She was merely asking if others held the same opinion.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mishh For This Useful Post:

beebs  (19-08-2012),BlissedOut  (19-08-2012),Guest654  (19-08-2012),lambjam  (19-08-2012),Stiflers Mom  (19-08-2012)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes it is silly. So someone likes to refer to having children as a lifestyle choice. You know what? There are more important things to be worried about like children dying of starvation. I can't believe some of things people get upset about on here.
    Just wanted to discuss and hear other people's perspectives. I like thinking about the issues around me, and I like to explore my responses. Sometimes it can help me to understand people in a different way... not a bad thing.

The content of the thread was clearly stated in the title. If you don't like it there are plenty of self-proclaimed fluff threads.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (19-08-2012),escapethefate  (19-08-2012),mishh  (19-08-2012),Stiflers Mom  (19-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    So if it doesn't come up to your standard of life altering circumstances, and that's all people can post about on BH, why reply? The comment has annoyed the OP, if it doesn't annoy you, fine.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

escapethefate  (19-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I still don't understand the stance that having children isn't a choice.

Yes, it's a choice which is more common, one which you might consider to be more "natural" etc. However... if you're in a position to change your behaviours to affect the outcome, it's still a choice.

Let's say I'm exposed to a deadly disease. There's a treatment which I have access to and if I don't use it I'll die. Now... if I say no I won't be treated (and die) is that not a choice? Simply because it's the "natural" option?

Obviously different choices have different motivations behind them. A desire to have sex, or to reproduce, is a pretty strong motivation. It may be the norm, but that doesn't stop it - in our society - from being a conscious choice.

Edit:
    again, I'm not trying to equate the situations (deadly disease with pregnancy for example), just using the same logical reasoning.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    Here's another example, although from a different person.

I used to work in an environment that prided itself on being "family friendly". To that end, a colleague was allowed one unpaid afternoon off each week to assist with her children's sporting commitments. Another (childless) colleague once commented that she thought it was unfair that she couldn't also receive an afternoon off to pursue her hobbies (read "lifestyle choices").

The implication here was that the first woman's children and their sporting commitments were her hobby. I would strongly argue that they are not. I'm sure she had her own hobbies too, hobbies that she also was not allowed to take an afternoon off to pursue. Our workplace saw the value in allowing her time to raise her family, and didn't see the same value in needlecraft.
    In the example above, I wonder if the colleague could have negotiated a half day to assist in caring for an elderly relative, sick sibling or other family commitments? There's a big difference between family and hobbies.

I think having a child is a lifestyle choice. I also think that it is a choice that should be respected and supported by workplaces and within society as a whole, just as i think family on the whole should be respected and supported. People need to stop all this "poor me, it's not fair" rubbish, it drives me crazy! Parents don't negotiate flexible hours so they can go to the beach, they're doing it to care for their family.

Oh and I can just picture them now, standing outside the building on their 4th 10 minute smoke break complaining about the mums who get time off. Lol!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (19-08-2012),intruderalert1234  (19-08-2012),lambjam  (19-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Traditionally, having children has been the norm, to keep the population going and to provide family support, more means of income etc.

I would say, in the west, the lifestyle choice is to NOT have children, rather than the other way around.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (19-08-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    I still don't understand the stance that having children isn't a choice.

Yes, it's a choice which is more common, one which you might consider to be more "natural" etc. However... if you're in a position to change your behaviours to affect the outcome, it's still a choice.

Let's say I'm exposed to a deadly disease. There's a treatment which I have access to and if I don't use it I'll die. Now... if I say no I won't be treated (and die) is that not a choice? Simply because it's the "natural" option?

Obviously different choices have different motivations behind them. A desire to have sex, or to reproduce, is a pretty strong motivation. It may be the norm, but that doesn't stop it - in our society - from being a conscious choice.

Edit:
    again, I'm not trying to equate the situations (deadly disease with pregnancy for example), just using the same logical reasoning.
    I get what your saying..what everyone is saying is like me saying that not vaccinating my children isn't a choice because it isn't natural to do it

*Ducks for cover*