ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What's important to you?

When choosing where to live and raise your family what are the most important factors to you? My husband and I have both been born and raised in this small little country town. We love the area, the beaches and parks and forests etc. however we are so far away from everything and the local school isnt great....not bad just not great. It's got us wondering whether we want to move to a larger suburb with more opportunities for our kids. The down side is our family also lives in this town so we would be leaving them too. However it would be nice to live somewhere where you can go about your business without the whole town knowing. It's a hard decision for us. What's your decision based on?

Thanks
    Reviews

We live in a small costal town at the moment and before this only 2 years ago we wanted to try figure out what was best for our family, we had no family close by, as my inlaws and parents live in this small costal town too. We decided to move away from the city, because of a few reasons, it's cleaner in little towns, less traffic, it feels safer, the schools are usually better than the city ones(in our case it was true) and we were close to family which has turned out to be very helpful.

I think it really depends on what you think your family needs at the end of the day. You might move and hate it.

Are you happy where you are?

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think we have the best of both worlds - we live about 200km from Melbourne just outside a regional centre. The regional centre has the things we need like a target, big shopping centre, post office, movies, some cafes, chemist, pub, drs etc etc.

There are a number of local primary schools and also about 3 or 4 major highschool.

My hubby grew up until 10 and im from the city - we know ppl but not well enough that everyone knows our business.

Easy 90min - 2hr drive to Mel to see my family, big shops etc etc.

We are close to the beach, forrest, country here and wouldn't move back unless maybe for child's medical needs or something serious like that.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: What's important to you?

I moved 1200 km away almost 2 yrs ago leaving the small town I grew up in, leaving behind everyone I've ever known. That town offered little to no employment opportunities, no one left their job despite unfair treatment or pay because finding another can take years which meant there were not vacant positions. There was a good school...but private. The public schools were okay, in a general education sort of way, there was little to no family or kid orientated activities to do and quite honestly, the town is filled with a$$hats, there's a pub on almost every corner, drugs are rife and youth offending is on the rise.

I chose here because there are great public schools, there is greater employment and tertiary study options, there are things both cultural and entertainment wise that appeals to not just me but my children. There is a sense of class and decency without the snob factor. I can see a future outcome for myself and my kids here that's a whole lot better than sitting in a tiny town with no opportunities. I do miss my family and I do miss my best friend but at the end of the day it's been worth it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Important things to us -
    Not too close to the city, but not too far (we moved rural and DF couldn't get a job, so now we are semi rural and it's perfect)
    Close to great schools.
    Close to shopping centers.
    Close to the beach.
    Nice suburb that is family oriented.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are half happy here. We only have 2 small overpriced supermarkets here, no big w or kmart etc. If the kids need new shoes or clothes we have to traval over half an hour. Uni is 45 minutes away which I drive to twice a week. I don't want to be near the city, but closer to be able to choose a school, not have to send the kids there as there is nothing else. I guess I just want options. My son suffers from high anxiety so if we move it would definately be for quite some time as moving around would mess with his head to much.

Ahhh, I hate being so indecisive.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The most important thing for us is to live in place that has other same-sex couples/is very gay friendly. Followed by family oriented, near good schools, close to DPs work/public transport for DP, close to our parents.

Where we are ticks all the boxes but it is quite $$ and is about 30-40minutes away from our parents.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    its hard to know what to do - our little town has about 50houses, then 3km away we have a small town with maybe 200houses, a chemist, mini supermarket, pub, post office, then the big town aboiut 20km away. We have another bigger town about 40k which has the big w, bunnings etc.

I don't mind driving to these places, but do like that the town 3km away has a good school adn the essentials.

Hubby and I ahve agreed to never live ina town that has traffic lights.. if it does its too big for us!

How big is the place you are in now and how big are the bigger towns? Could you move closer to the bigger town? Ie. Equiv size of Ballarat or Bendigo or Geelong or something?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I was raised in the inner city, and my DH was raised in a town so small they didn't even have a pub. So we made a compromise and moved regional. The town is fairly large and has a few schools to choose from, some have a great reputation.

Important to me
    Food!
    Good Coffee
    being close to the country
    schools
    cost of housing
    low crime rate
    good arts/festivals etc
    Climate (hate humidity)

I love that I am in the bush 5 minutes out of town,but that the centre is big enough to have almost every shop and lots of good food and coffee etc.

Thanks
    Reviews

We are 4hrs from Perth. Not great in terms of shopping. All our family is in the same town and that is most important at the moment. DD is settled into a great school and DH and I both have stable, well paying jobs.
    As the kids get older we will probably move down to Perth. I think it will offer more opportunity for education and jobs. But for now we are where we need to be.