+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 59
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,611
    Thanks
    106
    Thanked
    163
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes, I think so. As FL said every person has the right to receive medical care. And yes it should be opt out.

  2. #12
    rainbow road's Avatar
    rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    in a glass case of emotion
    Posts
    12,468
    Thanks
    1,200
    Thanked
    8,239
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Everyone should be entitled to receive medical assistance but I think a priority system might work. Say:

    1) emergent cases where the patient is a donor (or not a donor only for medical reasons)
    2) emergent cases where the patient is not a donor
    3) non-emergent cases where the patient is a donor
    4) non-emergent cases where the patient is a donor

    So if there are two people who both need a heart transplant just as urgently as each other and one is a donor and one isn't, the donor should get first priority.

    I also believe it should be opt-out.

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

    Boobycino  (25-08-2012),~ElectricPink~  (15-08-2012)

  4. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    10,618
    Thanks
    905
    Thanked
    1,482
    Reviews
    19
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Sorry for being ignorant but what do people mean by it should be opt out? Do you mean that everyone should automatically be an organ donor unless they apply to opt out of it?

  5. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The bright side of the road
    Posts
    3,833
    Thanks
    1,193
    Thanked
    974
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yuck..what a horrid suggestion. medical ethics is not comprised of a user pays system..we help people if the ability is there.

    What next? Refuse transfusions or blood products to people who aren't blood donors?

  6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bubmum For This Useful Post:

    aish  (16-08-2012),babyla  (15-08-2012),Busy-Bee  (25-08-2012),chameleon  (15-08-2012),ItWasntMe  (15-08-2012),LoveLivesHere  (25-08-2012),lovesushi  (16-08-2012),missjess86  (25-08-2012),MissMuppet  (15-08-2012),tootiredtosleep  (15-08-2012),~ElectricPink~  (15-08-2012)

  7. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,279
    Thanks
    2,361
    Thanked
    2,023
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default Should someone who says no to being an organ donor be eligible to receive one?

    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Yes I do. I don't think anyone has the right to deny anyone else medical assistance, unless the person who needs the assistance refuses it. It's too slippery a slope.
    I do think it shpuld be opt out, though.

    Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub
    This!

    Although I think people who currently say they would be ok with not receiving an organ when they need it may find it's not that easy to decline when their life is on the line...

  8. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,279
    Thanks
    2,361
    Thanked
    2,023
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default Should someone who says no to being an organ donor be eligible to receive one?

    Quote Originally Posted by MothersMilk View Post
    Sorry for being ignorant but what do people mean by it should be opt out? Do you mean that everyone should automatically be an organ donor unless they apply to opt out of it?
    Yes. So by default everyone is a donor, unless they opt out.

  9. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,054
    Thanks
    269
    Thanked
    1,053
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    Everyone should be entitled to receive medical assistance but I think a priority system might work. Say:

    1) emergent cases where the patient is a donor (or not a donor only for medical reasons)
    2) emergent cases where the patient is not a donor
    3) non-emergent cases where the patient is a donor
    4) non-emergent cases where the patient is a donor

    So if there are two people who both need a heart transplant just as urgently as each other and one is a donor and one isn't, the donor should get first priority.

    I also believe it should be opt-out.
    I think I like your idea, I wouldn't want someone who was going to die to not get a lifesaving transplant but apart from religious beliefs or children I do not understand why you would not be a donor.

  10. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In the sticks!!
    Posts
    20,635
    Thanks
    3,222
    Thanked
    2,540
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubmum View Post
    Yuck..what a horrid suggestion. medical ethics is not comprised of a user pays system..we help people if the ability is there.

    What next? Refuse transfusions or blood products to people who aren't blood donors?
    COmpletely agree.

  11. #19
    Nowhere's Avatar
    Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,112
    Thanks
    365
    Thanked
    1,623
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Its a hard one, as like anything there is a grey area people that cant donate for health reasons, Should they then not be eligable ?? if so then no i dont agree.

    What about children ?? should a child only be able to receive an organ if they agree to donate if they dont make it? how can we put that on a child ? or how can we put that on a mother or father.

    Organ donation in my opinion should be opt out not opt in, But i dont think if someone cant donate that they shouldnt be able to get one, I very much doubt that my DD could ever be an organ donor ( not something we plan on finding out ever) but i would hope that wouldnt make her ineligable to reveive one as we know that there is a high possiblity she will need a new GI system at some point in her life

  12. #20
    rainbow road's Avatar
    rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    in a glass case of emotion
    Posts
    12,468
    Thanks
    1,200
    Thanked
    8,239
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyboys View Post
    I think I like your idea, I wouldn't want someone who was going to die to not get a lifesaving transplant but apart from religious beliefs or children I do not understand why you would not be a donor.
    I think most people who aren't a donor for religious reasons also would not want to be a recipient for the same reason anyway.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Eligible Independent midwife for a VBAC
    By Fijibaby2013 in forum VBAC
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-11-2012, 22:25
  2. Am I eligible for JET?
    By katatonic in forum Hubbers who are studying
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 30-08-2012, 15:34

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
The Fix Program Sydney CBD and BroadwayPregnancy and women's health physio, pregnancy and new mum Pilates classes taught by our physios for you and bub. ...
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›