ADVERTISEMENT

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Are you afraid to smack in public? What are hiding?

Smacking is never okay. Not in public and not in private. It is abusive. Hitting other adults is not tolerated, so why is it okay to hit such defenceless little people?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (15-08-2012),Gandalf  (15-08-2012),Guest1234  (15-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    Smacking is never okay. Not in public and not in private. It is abusive.
    I agree

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    growing up I was smacked, a smack to me ment I had pushed my mother to her utermost limits and she was ****ED OFF, that is what a smack means to my son (we also do time out and natural consequences)

I was also smacked with a belt on a few occassions,the belt was scary,the belt left marks. was it abuse? no. would I do that to my son? no, in my child mind the belt taught me NOTHING, I only remember getting the belt NOT what I got the belt for (fear over rid my memory I guess) but I DO remember what I got a smack for

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Are you afraid to smack in public? What are hiding?

Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Mum View Post
    Im all for smaking when warranted. I got smaked and blame all the little disrespectful school kids on the non smak. Just saying... If I ever was as rude and disrespectful as the rude school kids (only judging the rude ones) I'd have my teeth knocked out and the fact there was that discipline around is the reason I am who I am today...
    LOL whaaaaat? wtf to that whole post

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

austmum  (15-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Im all for smaking when warranted. I got smaked and blame all the little disrespectful school kids on the non smak. Just saying... If I ever was as rude and disrespectful as the rude school kids (only judging the rude ones) I'd have my teeth knocked out and the fact there was that discipline around is the reason I am who I am today...
    I was a pretty ideal child/teen, and I was not smacked except twice as a child and once as a teen when my mother lost her temper.
    The rat bags in my classes were usually smacked a home.

Anecdotal data proves nothing.

Fwiw, I've never smacked, but I've been tempted -but it's out of my own frustrations, rather than the belief that it would help. ANd I know that it wouldn't do anything except satisfy the crank in me, and make them upset and fearful and disrespectful of me in the long run.
    Re:the op, I shout a lot less in public than i do at home though :-(

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As a disclaimer, for me, I don't agree with smacking. I'm assuming other people have read my previous views on it and the reasons, so I'm not going to repeat them.

However, for the people who won't smack because it would inflict pain on their children, and they restrain their children from running on the road, do you realise that that also hurts?
    Seriously, have your partner hold your wrist/hand, or a friend or something, then squirm and wriggle and twist and everything to try and get out of it, as hard as you can. It hurts as well, more than a smack to stop them running on the road would, and can actually be more dangerous long term, with the nerves in your wrist and things, you can actually do permanent nerve damage to the ulnar nerve incredibly easilly, as I have recently discovered.

So, I will change my anti-smacking stance in this instance. If smacking would work to deter children from running onto a road, then the pain, if there is any at all, would be shorter lived than having to go through physio, and the pain and agony it takes to get possession of your arm back again.
    And for those who think that you can't damage the nerves in your hands, wrist and arm that easilly, I did mine by lifting a bag of potting mix, following the correct procedures for lifting, it wasn't a two man lift and had barely any weight to it.

I understand there really isn't any other way, but if you judge smacking based on how much it might hurt your child, and you can justify restraining them in that way rather than smacking them, so they don't get hit by a car, then I'd actually genuinely like a reason and explanation. I don't understand, I'm not being judgemental, I'm simply curious.

I'd rather smack my kids, than damage the nerves in their wrist and arms.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

beebs  (15-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Oh wow teeth knocked out was just an expression lol I would not knock anyone's teeth out I purely meant that sometimes a good smack is in order... I see these kids around Sydney's western suburbs
    Well I'm a teacher in Sydney's western suburbs. They're probably a bit "feral" at the shops etc. where there's no parents or teachers and they're showing off to their friends

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmi View Post
    it means if your opinion is that a discipline needs to be done only ONCE to be affective then please by all means tell me ONE method that works like that?
    No. Only smacking. If my husband smacked me I'd learn pretty quickly. I'm assuming kids learn the same from being hit and humiliated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I view smacking like this...

There are plenty of people I meet in everyday life who are rude and obnoxious, but I don't slap them when they're rude and obnoxious.

Some people knowingly do things that put themselves in danger- j walking, talking on their mobiles while driving- but the police don't smack them for being naughty.

If we don't physically punish adults for doing things they know is bad behaviour, why would physically punish children who don't have a full comprehension of what is bad behaviour?

I can't help but wonder why people who are comfortable smacking at home wouldn't be comfortable smacking in public...perhaps it's because on some level they realise physical violence (no matter how soft it is) is wrong...no matter what you want to call it or what justification you give, smacking is physical violence...

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Luna Lovegood For This Useful Post:

austmum  (15-08-2012),Cat21  (15-08-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (15-08-2012),Gandalf  (15-08-2012),Sonja  (15-08-2012),Witwicky  (15-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post
    As a disclaimer, for me, I don't agree with smacking. I'm assuming other people have read my previous views on it and the reasons, so I'm not going to repeat them.

However, for the people who won't smack because it would inflict pain on their children, and they restrain their children from running on the road, do you realise that that also hurts?
    Seriously, have your partner hold your wrist/hand, or a friend or something, then squirm and wriggle and twist and everything to try and get out of it, as hard as you can. It hurts as well, more than a smack to stop them running on the road would, and can actually be more dangerous long term, with the nerves in your wrist and things, you can actually do permanent nerve damage to the ulnar nerve incredibly easilly, as I have recently discovered.

So, I will change my anti-smacking stance in this instance. If smacking would work to deter children from running onto a road, then the pain, if there is any at all, would be shorter lived than having to go through physio, and the pain and agony it takes to get possession of your arm back again.
    And for those who think that you can't damage the nerves in your hands, wrist and arm that easilly, I did mine by lifting a back of potting mix, following the correct procedures for lifting, it wasn't a two man lift and had barely any weight to it.

I understand there really isn't any other way, but if you judge smacking based on how much it might hurt your child, and you can justify restraining them in that way rather than smacking them, so they don't get hit by a car, then I'd actually genuinely like a reason and explanation. I don't understand, I'm not being judgemental, I'm simply curious.

I'd rather smack my kids, than damage the nerves in their wrist and arms.
    If you were going to smack a child, wouldn't you still have to lift them, or grab them, and hopefully move them off the road before doing so?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (15-08-2012)

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast