Closed Thread
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Honestly- I really don't see that you had any other option, she was having a tantrum that could have gotten her and you killed on the road, I'm sure if you could have calmly talked her into the car with a lolly you would have. But it sounded like she was having some kind of meltdown? Is that right?
    Yes it was a melt down. If a single smack would have been enough I would have done that. But in her state, if someone hit her with a metal pole she wouldn't have noticed. There was no point in smacking, no way to reason. But people pull up dictionary definitions, I want their alternatives.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Do you know, saying people are assaulting their child if they smack them is very OTT, sure you might think it, but wow. You know, there is a subsection on bubhub that I feel the same way about, but I would never ever say it. I mean, even though I think they are doing something so dangerous, at the end of the day they have their child's best interests at heart and they clearly love them. It isn't my place to tell them the are assaulting their kids.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

GuestMember  (16-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Are you afraid to smack in public? What are hiding?

Do you know, saying people are assaulting their child if they smack them is very OTT, sure you might think it, but wow. You know, there is a subsection on bubhub that I feel the same way about, but I would never ever say it. I mean, even though I think they are doing something so dangerous, at the end of the day they have their child's best interests at heart and they clearly love them. It isn't my place to tell them the are assaulting their kids.
    There have been members on here who have freely admitted to smacking their kids with branches!! I fail to see it in any other way but black and white due to some of the stories I've heard. I'm sorry you feel I'm being rude about this situation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I haven't read anything about branches in this thread?? Tapping on the hand is different from hit with branches. I don't even smack and I can see the difference

Regardless, to call people abusive for smacking is just out of line. I haven't heard one story on this thread that I would consider abuse. I understand you feel upset about it, I get that (that is how I feel about this other issue) It makes me angry and my blood boil and I really think that these people are 100% completely wrong. But I still wouldn't ever say anything like what you have been saying.

You can get your point across, about how it upsets you, and how bad you feel, without attacking others.

Quote Originally Posted by waterlily View Post
    There have been members on here who have freely admitted to smacking their kids with branches!! I fail to see it in any other way but black and white due to some of the stories I've heard. I'm sorry you feel I'm being rude about this situation.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

GuestMember  (16-08-2012),Pawzette  (16-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Are you afraid to smack in public? What are hiding?

...Fair enough....

I never attacked anyone or quoted posts. But anyway. I'm bowing out before I say something I'd regret in this thread.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't "leave my kids in the car"...i carry the shopping from the car to the kitchen and then get the kids out 2nd, i made this pretty clear. They are not unattended/unsafe/unsupervised...the car is in my garage and it takes maybe 2 minutes to walk with the shopping to the kitchen and back again! Talk about picking through a post to try and find an issue and then making up something.

You know it is illegal to leave children in the car by themselves right?

And what happens at the other end, when you don't have the kids to leave at home, like at school. What happens then? Not for you, because you have two kids, two hands etc, but if you had more. Sometimes it isn't as easy as loading them in in shifts.

I don't smack, but you can bet your bottom dollar I wouldn't begrudge someone a smack if they were scared etc. It isn't something that upsets me really. Someone smacking their child has no effect on me or my family - unlike people who don't vax, who put everyone at risk (that is what I get worked up about).

I was smacked as a child, I never felt scared of my dad and I certainly don't resent him for it.

I also try not to bribe my children with lollies to do what I want, but hey that is just me.

You are really damned if you do and damned if you don't. People on here keep saying they don't understand the running excuse - but I bet you judgey mothers would be the first to jump up and down if someone used a SHOCK HORROR backpack strap thing! So obvious.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by waterlily View Post
    To be fair, it was one member, not members. And has nothing to do with this topic.

And so yet another interesting BH debate goes to the dogs. It seems if you're passionate but don't denigrate, you're hard core here. Ok. I'm out too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    You know it is illegal to leave children in the car by themselves right?

And what happens at the other end, when you don't have the kids to leave at home, like at school. What happens then? Not for you, because you have two kids, two hands etc, but if you had more. Sometimes it isn't as easy as loading them in in shifts.
    Um, you use a pram? That's what I do. One walks, one is on a scooter and one (my runner) in strapped in a pram until we are safely in the school grounds.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Um, you use a pram? That's what I do. One walks, one is on a scooter and one (my runner) in strapped in a pram until we are safely in the school grounds.
    Then I say you are lucky that you don't have a houdini.

On the topic of leaving kids in the car, it's not always safe to do that. Sure in some set ups, with some children, but no way would I have done that here. It would be unsafe and my child would have panicked. Nope, not what I would do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    And still no other solutions offered by the judgemental lot...