ADVERTISEMENT

Closed Thread
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Are you afraid to smack in public? What are hiding?

Just want to add that i will try my best to never have to smack ds. Not because i i have problem with smacking as a discipline method but because i have anger control issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't smack when out. I don't smack at home.

I don't care what other people think of what I do, or don't do.

I don't care what other people do, unless it contravenes a law or affects me/my family.

When I'm perfect, I'll start lecturing others on what they should and shouldn't do.

When I become the overlord of the universe, I will make it compulsory that everybody thinks exactly as I do.

When smacking becomes illegal (and I'm certain it will eventually), I'll start intervening when I see it.

Until then, I'll mind my own business.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to something For This Useful Post:

beebs  (16-08-2012),Mulva  (16-08-2012),onionskin  (16-08-2012),share a book  (16-08-2012),Stiflers Mom  (16-08-2012),WorkingClassMum  (16-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I can't believe how rude people are when responding to threads. If you don't want to participate than don't comment. I can't stand the "I'll get the popcorn comments". This whole first page of this thread was filled up with crap like that. Go start your own thread and start saying stuff like that. It's okay when one person does it but when the rest start doing it as well.. it's just lame. And yes, if you are one of those people that do it, I think you're lame.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Renesme For This Useful Post:

beebs  (16-08-2012),BlissedOut  (16-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Are you afraid to smack in public? What are hiding?

I do not assault my child in public or at home.
    Last edited by waterlily; 16-08-2012 at 07:49.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

Mod-Zeddie  (16-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You know it is illegal to leave children in the car by themselves right?

And what happens at the other end, when you don't have the kids to leave at home, like at school. What happens then? Not for you, because you have two kids, two hands etc, but if you had more. Sometimes it isn't as easy as loading them in in shifts.

I don't smack, but you can bet your bottom dollar I wouldn't begrudge someone a smack if they were scared etc. It isn't something that upsets me really. Someone smacking their child has no effect on me or my family - unlike people who don't vax, who put everyone at risk (that is what I get worked up about).

I was smacked as a child, I never felt scared of my dad and I certainly don't resent him for it.

I also try not to bribe my children with lollies to do what I want, but hey that is just me.

You are really damned if you do and damned if you don't. People on here keep saying they don't understand the running excuse - but I bet you judgey mothers would be the first to jump up and down if someone used a SHOCK HORROR backpack strap thing! So obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by smileygirl View Post
    see, i don't get the "smacking if they are in danger".. so, if they got hit by the car...would you then smack them???

I don't smack...both my kids are runners. DS made it to the road once when he was 2 (ish) and we were in bakers delight...he dashed through heaps of people and just RAN...i shoved people left and right and took off in full pursuit...I was lucky, he ran out to the road between 2 cars (worst possible scenario) and I managed to get him just before he got hit. I was sobbing...i had no desire to smack him...just hold him close.

We had to work on him holding hands...it took a huge effort (chose my day...promised him a milkshake after a walk to the cafe if he held my hand...if he let go we had to go home...it took leaving the house over 20 times...but we finally got there lol). But, it was not his misbehaviour, it was that i needed to teach him. He still wandered off when ever he could...but, i was more vigilent until he learnt.

DS is now 8...has lovely manners, is pretty well behaved, shows respect and is wonderful and verbal communication. He even still holds my hand lol

DD...well, she has just started her career as a runner. At nearly 2, she will throw herself on the floor rather than hold hands...you will often see me doing the walk of shame while carrying her lol. So, i do things to help us both..grocery shopping, she gets a "healthy" lollipop if she sits in the trolley, she will hold 2 peoples hands but hates holding 1 (fickle little thing) so we try and make sure she can...but, if she manages to escape (like today at medicare...oh the shame! She bolted just as our number was called so i literally threw my card and the claim receipt at the lady and bolted after her lol) it is on me...and not on her. She doesn't know any better, she is not even 2 yet.

I load the car in shifts...kids in first...then stuff. Often, if i have lots to unload at home...i leave the kids in the car and get all the bags in first...then the kids...because DD is a climber and a runner ...and I don't have any room she can be in without some form of danger unless i shut her in her bedroom (which i don't do).

It is a balance...i think smacking is ineffective. Reading this has confirmed that people do it for their own emotion (fear or anger) and not really thinking about the benefit of the child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by waterlily View Post
    I do not assault my child in public or at home.
    By definition, I assaulted my child yesterday. The alternative was what?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Smacking is not illegal - you didn't assault her.

Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Smacking is not illegal - you didn't assault her.
    I didn't smack her, it was forceful restraint that has in fact left bruises on both of us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Honestly- I really don't see that you had any other option, she was having a tantrum that could have gotten her and you killed on the road, I'm sure if you could have calmly talked her into the car with a lolly you would have. But it sounded like she was having some kind of meltdown? Is that right?

I didn't smack her, it was forceful restraint that has in fact left bruises on both of us.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Are you afraid to smack in public? What are hiding?

To me if I smacked an adult it's assault so the same goes for a child.

If I forcefully grabbed an adult who was about to be hit by a car it's clearly not assault it's just instinct to quickly pull from danger.

I have been guilty of grabbing DD quickly and not realising that I actually did it hard and it hurt her. Its never my entention to hurt her but in the heat of the moment I didn't have time to even think that it may have been too hard, she had run into the middle of a busy car park. But for me I'd never pull her back and then INTENTIONALLY smack her

I don't judge you for what happened in your situation! Sorry you felt that way hun.
    Last edited by waterlily; 16-08-2012 at 08:11.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (16-08-2012),Witwicky  (16-08-2012)