Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I just swear. My kids know not to copy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Do as I say not as I do? So you tell them not to swear but its ok for you to do it? Just asking is all.

Personally for me I prefer not to swear as they do learn from example. I was a terrible swearer....and will let the s and f words drop if frustrated. I hate it when little kids swear....just looks wrong coming out of their mouths.

So I use:

Fluffy Ducks
    Shivers
    Holey Schamoley

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    No..I just tend to use real swear words, whats the difference between saying sugar and ****? I don't get why if your unable to contain your emotions you'd bother making up pretend words
    I guess the simple answer is because swear words are offensive for others to hear, and you don't want to teach your kids that it's OK to speak this way.

My philosophy is that it's OK - and dare I say, even healthy - to express your emotions WITHIN REASONABLE LIMITS. However, I believe in behaving much more politely and conservatively when you're out in public. In the privacy of your own home you can carry on as much as you like - but be prepared to face the consequences if you're rude or offensive or badly behaved. I think there's a time and a place of outbursts of emotion and I'm just asking what other parents like to say when they have such an outburst.
    Last edited by SeaShanty; 13-08-2012 at 16:13.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SeaShanty For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (13-08-2012),Alphabetsoup  (13-08-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (13-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have adult words. F.uck is a mummy word

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daysta112 For This Useful Post:

meljemillie  (13-08-2012),pinkplease3  (13-08-2012),SassyMummy  (13-08-2012)

rainbow road is online now look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I say Rats! a lot. So does DP. We don't have kids

I swear a lot, but work with kids so don't swear around them. Also, I'm trying to cut down a bit.

Except when I'm driving. I cannot contain myself when some ****** ***** gets in my ******* way! *****!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Hmm...maybe that's where I'm going wrong? I have a MAJOR problem with DS swearing at the moment. He's good when we're out, but at home he lets rip and swears like a sailor (basically just $hit and f.ck). He doesn't care if he gets in trouble, and admitted that he just loves swearing and loves how the words sound :/

The thing is, I'm not a swearing kind of person, barely even 'kid friendly' words. My parents are the same, none of us are big on swearing so I grew up not swearing. I wonder if I did start swearing, maybe he would stop? Like maybe because I don't, it's a bit 'cool' to swear? I'm really at a loss, and so worried that my 10 month old DD's first word will be $hit or f.ck (or his other favourite variation on that: f.cken idiot).

Edit: he learned swearing at kinder, thought I should add that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle_N View Post
    Do as I say not as I do? So you tell them not to swear but its ok for you to do it? Just asking is all.
    They're adult words. My kids know that they're allowed to choose to swear when they're an adult only.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

SassyMummy  (13-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Hmm...maybe that's where I'm going wrong? I have a MAJOR problem with DS swearing at the moment. He's good when we're out, but at home he lets rip and swears like a sailor (basically just $hit and f.ck). He doesn't care if he gets in trouble, and admitted that he just loves swearing and loves how the words sound :/

The thing is, I'm not a swearing kind of person, barely even 'kid friendly' words. My parents are the same, none of us are big on swearing so I grew up not swearing. I wonder if I did start swearing, maybe he would stop? Like maybe because I don't, it's a bit 'cool' to swear? I'm really at a loss, and so worried that my 10 month old DD's first word will be $hit or f.ck (or his other favourite variation on that: f.cken idiot).
    My kids don't get in trouble for swearing (they've probably said every swear word once only), instead they get explained to them that they're adult words, not for kids, and that when they're an adult, they can swear if they want to, though it does sound nicer not to swear at all even when they're an adult, but if they really want to they can.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids don't get in trouble for swearing (they've probably said every swear word once only), instead they get explained to them that they're adult words, not for kids, and that when they're an adult, they can swear if they want to, though it does sound nicer not to swear at all even when they're an adult, but if they really want to they can.
    Oh, if only saying that worked! I say that EVERY DAY, he just looks at me and says "$hit $hit f.ucken $hit" etc etc. The only thing that moderately works is turning off ABC4 kids if he's got that on or taking toys away...but 5 minutes later he doesn't care and is swearing again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ive been having to be real careful with what I say now that DS is a real repetitive thing and DD is just starting to talk so don't want her learning bad words. I usually say Sugar honey ice and tea(obvious), crud and frick.