Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Leahmaree View Post
    I read that giving a baby a dummy in the first 6 to 8 weeks can confuse them as they use difference muscles than sucking on a nipple, which can them cause attachment problems. Of course I'm completely naive and pregnant with my first, so I have absolutely no experience to base this on st all!
    Both of mine had a dummy from birth and I breastfed them with no problems. Giving them a dummy stopped me feeling like a cow feeding them all the time

Thanks
    Reviews
    First few weeks my DD lived in those onesies they sell at target for $6, they're made of towel like material, they're perfect, and at $6 a pop you can afford to get a couple of 000000 and 00000 just in case baby is small. We used bibs but mostly burp cloths which are actually face towels, perfect size I also use those as breast pads when at home (save a few $$) I got baby a pillow with the donut so they don't get a flat head (DH has a seriously flat head and was adamant his DD would not have that problem) mittens and wraps, because our baby was so small and skinny we had to make sure she was kept warm so we would wrap her in winter blankets and beanies!
    We also got sanitizer hand gel and placed them around the house our baby was premie so visitors would wash their hands and use the sanitizer.
    Really good hand cream!!! My hands are a painful mess, cracked and dry from washing so much :-(
    Baby nail clippers and a thermometer also baby ear buds/cotton swabs to clean those little creases from the placenta gunk... Which is everywhere!
    We had dummies but she didnt like it till about 3 months, also we tried a couple different ones before buying a few, she settled on NUK.
    :-) hope this help

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ciaomamma For This Useful Post:

cluckcluck  (12-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Woombie (zip up wrap). And yes, it is a lot easier than muslin/etc wraps. It's so easy, you just put bub in it and zip it up & hey, they're wrapped! SO easy and it's so much easier to carry bubs around too as they are not so bulky. I started using a Woombie when my dd was 4 days old (when she came home from hospital) and used Woombies til she was 8.5 months. She couldn't come unwrapped or escape and it was a great sleep cue.

Facewashers is another one - essential for bath time.

Breastpads ... can't recall if that was on your list.

Maybe a breast pump/bottles for storing ebm if you think you might need it. Or at least research one and choose which one you'd want so if you need to express when you go home you can send your dh out to the shops to buy the one you want.

And I loved our electric baby swing. They are so cheap now (a basic one is fine) and my dd had colic and the swing helped her relax after a feed and saved me from sitting in the rocking chair for hours on end (which I couldn't physically do anyway).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

cluckcluck  (12-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found we needed much less than I thought! My son was 3.5kg but he was slow to gain weight and pretty much lived in three 0000 onesies that I bought at the last minute. He's only just in 000 clothes now.

I think the main essentials were nappies, a few muslin swaddles, the carseat, and some basic cotton jumpsuits- I liked the ones from Cotton On Baby with long sleeves and no legs. We never needed hats, cardigans etc. because he was swaddled pretty much all of the time and that kept him really warm.

For me- pawpaw cream and those hydrogel breast pads... they were SO nice on sore nipples. Something comfy to wear around the house that wasn't pyjamas (I liked being able to get 'dressed' as it helped me feel more awake). A big warm cardigan to put on for middle of the night feedings.

Next baby I will also have a stretchy wrap/sling (like a Hug a Bub or Sleepy Wrap) to use right from the start because it was magical for getting him to fall asleep.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hyzenthley For This Useful Post:

cluckcluck  (12-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I want to say that I don't think singlets are essential items. I much prefer onesies as singlets tend to ride up baby's back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maybenumber3 View Post
    Both of mine had a dummy from birth and I breastfed them with no problems. Giving them a dummy stopped me feeling like a cow feeding them all the time
    I actually think giving DS a dummy helped our BF relationship!! He was prem and jaundiced and too sleepy to suck properly. Giving him a dummy really strengthened his suck and has saved my nipples since as he is a big comfort sucker!!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bubintummy For This Useful Post:

backgroundnoise  (12-08-2012),cluckcluck  (12-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would also suggest some ready made meals in the freezer that you just need to heat up for the days that don't quite go to plan. Not technically for baby but seriously saved my sanity in those first few weeks not having to think about dinner

14. The Following User Says Thank You to shy For This Useful Post:

cluckcluck  (13-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Snacks for mum for all those feeds particularly if breatfeeding. Some bottles even if you are planning on breatfeeding for ebm if needed.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Melbmummyof1 For This Useful Post:

cluckcluck  (13-08-2012)