I loved my CS. I debated loooong and hard before choosing it, hormones were telling me vaginal birth and my brain was saying CS.
I was scared of having a long labour and then needing a CS anyway. In a private hospital CS rates are about 40%. So I played the odds and picked a CS.
My DD was born the day I hit 39 weeks and was already 4.2kg, so I think if I had tried natural she would have been a lot bigger and a lot harder to get out. I know I made the right choice for me.
For some people it's about a birthing experience. For me it's about getting a baby.
Pain wise the second day is the worst, but it gets much easier each day. Make sure you have someone to help you in hospital overnight.
I couldn't BF because of attachment issues but giving birth naturally wouldn't have changed that.
I was driving a week later. If you don't overdo it you get better much quicker.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 11 to 20 of 26
11-08-2012 22:38 #11
11-08-2012 22:54 #12
Hi there Farmgirl!!
I'll be having an elective cesarean in the public health system due to my own personal reasons (which I'm happy to discuss with you through private messages too).
I have had to see a therapist who went through my history, anxiety and fears and who has now written my ob a letter explaining that I will be most positively affected in the future if I have a caesarean.
It's really not hard, it's just a matter of being educated and being completely convinced that that's what you want. In the end you may need a couple of visits to a few different ob's until one will be open to you choosing what you want for your body, but when you do it'll be worth it
11-08-2012 22:58 #13Senior Member
- Join Date
- Feb 2010
Hiya, I've had 3 beautiful CS. For me it's the most natural way to have a baby. No problems, no issues. I was up and walking the next day.
I'm a theatre nurse by trade and literally done hundreds of CS. Feel free to message me any of your questions.
The Following User Says Thank You to wigglemum For This Useful Post:
12-08-2012 07:00 #14Senior Member
- Join Date
- Feb 2012
I recommend you look into everything from the possible risks an side effects of the spinal to how your hospital works with bub & recovery etc. my first was an emergency CS so not the sort of experience you want to hear about, but there can be complications with the spinal (I know one poor mum who had to lay flat on her back for days with a massive headache due to leaky fluid for eg) and if course the op itself as well as why risks there are to bub before making your choice. Good luck!
12-08-2012 07:12 #15
Please go and read my birth story in the positive c-section area of the forum. I will try and bump it for you :-)
12-08-2012 08:11 #16
12-08-2012 10:54 #17
I had an emergency c-section, and whilst that's not exactly what you're questioning it's what is making me 100% go with an elective this time.
Yes it was rushed, yes there was a sense of urgency. But the birth itself was fantastic. The doctors were very efficient, did their job while reassuring me the whole time and basically making the whole thing as stress free as possible.
It won't be that way for this one because it will be elective and I can't WAIT. I had a terrible labor, got to 10cm dilated and ready to push but they decided he had to come out asap (high acid levels in his blood and shock) so in I went.
Honestly, I think everyone's choices and feelings on the matter are different and you should certainly make yourself knowledgeable on the risks. But weigh up the pros and cons for both ways of giving birth and choose what's best for you, not what everyone else says you SHOULD do.
If you think vag is the way to go, then do that. If you think a c-section is better for you, then do that .
12-08-2012 11:40 #18
I've had two elective cs
My first DD- at 36 weeks I was diagnoised with cholastatsis and PE dd needed dd to be delivered at 37 weeks. She was breached and I wasn't comfortable delivering a breached baby and there was no time to wait for her to turn and I know the little stubborn miss wouldn't have turned either
Dd2 - I had planned a vbac for dd. I spent 3 years preparing. Since dd1 I have developed an auto immune disorder and needs constant monitoring for my platelet count. I again developed cholastatsis and PE and dd needed to be delivered at 37-38 weeks. Induction isn't recommended for vbacs and I had a high chance if I did do an induction so early that I'd end up with an emergency cs, my platelets were on the decline and that may have meant a cs under general which I didn't want so I elected another cs
With my cs I had mostly a good experience. I didn't feel the OBs doing it were professional at all, the plan was for dd to accompany dh to my room after birth. I wasbt happy that I needed one and was angry. The recovery was painful and slow. But I recovered well
With my seccod it was really positive I had a new hospital and they were great. The OBs, midwife, and anisethiologist were fantastic. They followed my birth plan. Did delayed cord clamping, spoke to me through out I knew exactly what was happening. Dd was placed straight on my chest and I was breast feeding her while they were closing she remained with me feeding thrugh recovery and while I was wheeled to my room.
The recovery was much more painful and much slower but good as well (dd is 6 weeks)
I wouldn't recommended a cs if you can avoid it. I'm sad I now have to continue to have cs and I'm limited to four csections. I'd research your hospitals csection procedures my second hospital was a much better hospital based on their policies
13-08-2012 16:37 #19-
- Join Date
- Sep 2009
Spinals in c/s and epi's in vaginals = are equally risky.
Let's just hope that the OP has done her research and this is why she wants to know more about c/s because vaginal births might still not be the way to go for her after all her research.
13-08-2012 19:56 #20Senior Member
- Join Date
- Feb 2012
It's stupid I talk about elective cs's like they are risk free. There can be complications with the spinal. There is also a big risk of infection, and not everyone gets the dreamy relative pain/complication free recovery.
In my due group several of the ladies ended up with infections & one had to have a d&c after products were retained.
I really hope if the OP (who hasn't 100% decided) chooses to have a CS that's she has an awesome experience.
TPS Health Physiotherapy and PilatesTPS Health Physiotherapy and Pilates has three clinics located at Morningside, Redlands and Lutwyche. We offer pre and ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
Things your pets have eaten and shouldn't haveGeneral Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
what method do you use to track your financesFamily Finances
April/May TTC group chatConception & Fertility General Chat
IVF/FET April & May chatConception & Fertility General Chat
changes to child care benefitChildcare Options
IVF Babies due August/Sept/Oct' 16 #4pregnancy and babies through IVF
Egg Donation in South Africa #14Egg Donation
Local Infant Adoption in VictoriaAdoption / Surrogacy
Having a tough time with the dad... Does it get any easier?Pregnancy & Birth General Chat