+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How common is this?

My BD is 6. Her BF and i split up when she was just 2.5yrs old. We live 800km apart and BF has BD 1/2 of each school holidays, and has unrestricted access to call, skype, email, snail mail DD. BF calls maybe once a fortnight and very rarely skypes.

BD doesn't like going to BF's, she refuses to speak to BF on the phone, and flat refuses to skype. She says she doesnt like BF.

I have NEVER spoken ill about BF infront of BD. EVER. Im really particular about that, because I believe BD deserves to think her father is a saint, as all kids do.

So why does she dislike him so much? Is it common for kids to react like this?
    I told BF last night about the ways BD has been reacting to his contact. I thought he's go off and blame me as usual, but BF said that his step son often acts the same way towards his BF.

Is there anything I can do to change BD's way of thinking towards her BF?
    She's autistic with poor expressive speech, so she hasnt been able to tell me why she doesnt like BF. I doubt that BF has ever abused her or anything, he's not that sort of person.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm going through something similar with dd who is 9. She doesn't want to go to her dads and doesn't like talking to him on the phone. I've organised counselling for her and ds because quite frankly I think their dad needs ALOT of help in regards to caring for them while they are with him and he won't listen to me so I thought the counsellor could help him. Also they need an impartial adult to talk to and that is able to help them through this tough time.

I'd guess that your dd is most comfortable at your home so she doesn't want to visit her dad, I'd also guess that you care for her better than he does.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cluckcluck For This Useful Post:

LivinOnAPrayer  (10-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It seems to be common for kids who see the other less than once a fn unfortunately. With the distance it really isn't possible for him to stop by for a visit every few days so I don't know what the answer is. Hopefully as she gets older she might be able to have a closer long-distance relationship with him. Good luck to all of you, I hope you can all get through this without too much stress.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the insite ladies. BD see's a child psychologist, so i'll ask her to look into it at our next appointment.