+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What do you use when AF visits?

I'm a recent convert to cloth pads and love them. They're so much more comfortable and my flow has got lighter and I don't feel as dirty.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I wear a tampon with a pad. I have extremely heavy periods.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

I use a menstrual cup, used it for the first time during my last AF. Best thing ever invented!!

On my heavy day I emptied it every 3 or so hours, but on light days I only emptied every 12 hours. So much cleaner than having smelly used pads or tampons wrapped up in the bin. Absolutely LOVE it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

Izy  (24-10-2012)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Yep I use a menstrual cup, have done for 3 years or so. I love it.

Recently, I had a period where all I had to use were pads and it was horrible!

Thanks
    Reviews

I use cloth pads. I use cloth nappies and had the same thought as to why not use cloth pads as well.

I usually only need one a day as my flow isn't that heavy. I store the dirty ones in an ice-cream container filled with water and then wash the lot at the end of my period and then dry them on the line in the sun.

They are great

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsR2012 View Post
    I would certainly be interested in some experiences on the cup.

Does it really last 12hrs ? How do you know when to change? ( I am a very heavy person, I need something more than a super but they dont make it! )

Does it not gross you out ? How do you manage in a public toilet, whilst out shopping? I cant imagine how I wouldnt spill it when removing it haha.

Thanks!
    On my lighter days, yes I can go 12 hours without emptying the cup. I empty it in the morning around 7-8am, then again at night when showering (which means no need to check it at work or while out & about). On the heavier days I'm emptying more like every 5-6 hours. But my flow is light compared to yours, so you'd have to work out the best frequency for yourself. I have read on other threads that some women observe lighter periods with a shorter duration after switching to a cup.

No it doesn't gross me out. The first cycle I used it, I was weirdly fascinated. I was grossed out much more having to lift the flap on the sanitary bins in public toilets. So glad I will never need to use those horrid bins again!

Speaking of public toilets, if its my heavy day and I need to empty the cup while I'm out, I just use toilet paper to wipe the cup clean.

I'm still getting the hang of the removal step. Tugging on the stem does nothing, I was amazed at how strong the 'suction' force is! So far have found it best to squeeze the bottom of the cup to break the seal and slowly pull down. Once the lower half is out, you can easily grip it to remove all the way. I recommend a few practice goes removing & inserting at home, and if you're worried about leaks/spills, keep a panty liner or pad on til you gain confidence.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SimpsonDesert For This Useful Post:

Izy  (24-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I use tampons in the day and disposable pads overnight.

I don't think I could ever use cloth pads, I just don't want to deal with washing them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    Yep- Cup user here. Way more comfortable than both pads and tampons.

Plus you don't have congealing blood against you, It just pools in the cup.

It doesn't matter if you spill it while removing if you do it over the toilet (which I do, and just pour it in).

There a few different ways of inserting it. For me it's easier to fold over one side and pinch the resulting edges to a sort of point then put as high as comfortable. The let go, grasp the bottom and twist and jiggle a little then hey presto. Cup sealed. You can go to the loo, exercise etc and it stays in place and doesn't leak.

No risk of cross contamination of fluids etc by leaving it in to go to the loo because of where it sits.

I tend to forget it's there until I have my shower on light days and it does the 12hrs with no problems what so ever.

At public toilets - opt to go to a disabled loo to start with if you like, so that you can squat etc (remember what it was like the first time you used tampons... getting used to angle/insertion technique etc?), and so you can rinse out the cup in the sink.

Sometimes when out and about I will use a bottle of water and toilet paper, but usually I can just go to the loo and not bother emptying the cup til I'm home.

So much cheaper. No running out. No issues if camping etc for disposal. No issue with sport or sleeping. No bleaches or fluff.

I love my cup.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Izy For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (25-10-2012),NurseAnni  (20-05-2013),RobinSparkles  (25-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    Oh, and cause the cup isn't absorbent, you can actually practice with it before your period, or even have it in place the day your period is due.

If you don't have your period it will not do any damage or even really cause discomfort.

You can use a latex safe lubricant to trial the run if you're going to be nervous or anxious. Just until you understand what insertion method suits you.

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Wow izy, you just single handedly sold me on the cup. Lol.

I didn't think I'd ever use one. I am worried because I have a heavy period, but I s'pose it's the same as tampons, you have that trial and error period

Off to google