Thanks
    Reviews

Default finger foods

hi,
    my daughter is now just on 6 months old and loves her food. I have been pureeing it, but i think she would prefer finger foods, she handles lumps very well, like zuchini skin in the puree, and i want to give her some cooked strips of food, but find that i panic and think she is going to choke, even though there is no sign of this . s it too early to give her these foods, and toast?? also if i do give her these thing s and she gags do i need to pat her back straight away,or do babies tend to just cough it up usually on their own? Im so scared she will begin to choke. as she stuffs food into her face so willingly.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Reply: the pero clinic

Dear Abbynmonique,

At only 6 months, it sounds as though your little one is doing very well with her eating. I would however, still stick to lumpy purees and soft mashed foods for a bit longer gradually increasing the texture. If your daughter has not yet developed the ability to move food sideways to her gums for chewing, she may find finger foods quite difficult and will be more likely to choke on them. This skill usually develops from 7-8 months.

Choose very soft finger foods as her first finger foods. For example, very well cooked vegetable pieces, soft cheese pieces, dissolvable biscuits. Rusks and toast pieces will be good for mouthing, biting and tongue movement practice, but toast may be a difficult first finger food.

Babies normally have good gag and cough reflexes to prevent themselves from choking, but it is obviously still important to monitor your bub closely when trying new food types.

the pero clinic