+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Slapped cheek disease?

Anyone's kids had this? I googled and found this but I've never heard of it before..

My ds1 2.5yrs has bright red cheeks.
    He has been fluey for about 2 weeks but that seems to have subsided and now his cheeks are bright red.

He doesnt have a temperature at all. His top molars aren't out yet so that's the only other thing that is bothering him.

anyone out there have any experience with this??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not kids, but I had it when I was 7/8. I was sent home because I was bright red and a bit fluey.
    Went to the dr and he said slapcheek. Which I believe is actually a very mild form of parvovirus, but there is every chance I'm wrong lol.
    Anyways I was rundown and lethargic for a few days but after that i was fine. I thought it was great because I got a week off school and I was fine lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Slap cheek is parvo virus. FYI, if you are pregnant you need to go to doctor if you are in contact with it and not immune.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moongazer View Post
    Slap cheek is parvo virus. FYI, if you are pregnant you need to go to doctor if you are in contact with it and not immune.
    This. You will also know it's slapped cheek/parvo virus as they will come out in a red lacey rash (starting on torso) once the redness goes from cheeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS has thus now! His cheeks are bright red the last couple of days and gooey eyes! But otherwise fine although a bit hot. Hmm maybe I should take him to doco tomorrow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS had it a few weeks ago and the GP said that she couldn't really do anything. The only thing you can do is give your child paracetamol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had this when i was pregnant.. I had to have monitoring and ultrasounds every fortnight for the majority of my pregnancy to make sure bubs didnt get it. Its not dangerous to kids or adults but VERY dangerous to fetuses! If contracted they can become anaemic and get foetal hydrops and may need in utero blood transfusion. I was so stressed my whole pregnancy but thankfully all turned out fine. Please please please stay away from pregnant women if you or any of your family has this!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My kids had this over the last school holidays. They both had a low fever (around 37.8) and mild cold symptoms for about a week but were still pretty happy. At the end of a week the pink cheeks appeared but they didn't get the lacey rash (everyone can have slightly different symptoms).

While they weren't that unwell with it, the reason we know it was slapped cheek is that they must have caught it of my DH who had it about 3 weeks earlier. He was really sick with it - fever, muscle aches, incredibly painful joints, migraine and then a rash. They were testing him for all sorts of things including meningoccocal and finally the doctor thought to test for parvo virus and it came back positive. An adult who hasn't got immunity from childhood exposure to the illness can apparently be more severely affected than kids seem to be - still not serious (except possibly to a foetus in the early stages of pregnancy) but just not at all pleasant.

The incubation period can vary from a couple of days to several weeks and is most contagious before the red cheeks and/or rash appear making it difficult to prevent.

Not much to do in terms of treatment and if your little one has the red cheeks they are at the tail end of the illness anyway but a trip to the Dr to rule out anything else can't hurt if you are worried.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    YEs, two of ours had this at one stage. It is apparantly very contagious so I guess we are lucky the other three didn't get it. It didn't last too long and went away on its own.