+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely not sexist at all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Not sexist at all. My Dad made me change a tyre before I was allowed to take the car out do I would know what to do if one blew. Has been very handy over the years! He also bought me a tool box when I moved out and he and Mum taught me how to do things. She's very handy too, so I've grown up thinking I can fix things

tiggerfields is offline Priestess of Kult K'iesha... Mooo!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Silly lady. He's right!

As an aside, I say postman/policeman/alderman etc and have no issue with it. DS is perfectly capable of seeing that women can do anything blokes can do without me joining the PC-gone-mad crowd I believe we lead by example, not labeling.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tiggerfields For This Useful Post:

Bubmum  (05-08-2012),Misschief  (05-08-2012),River Song  (05-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Did your friends explain HOW they thought it was sexist?

Maybe because your dad assumed that they didn't have any power tools in teh first place? - that's the only way I can take it as sexist, or like PPs have mentioned that he said a handyMAN would come to their rescue rather than a handyWOMAN??

Personally - I have bought, own and have the knowledge of how to use MORE of the tools in our garage compared to DP, HE is a 'ring someone else who knows how to do it' kinda person (or as a sexist person would say, 'he is a bit of a girl ' )

I've even though about starting up a small 'handywoman' business, doing small yard and around teh home jobs for some people who prefer a woman coming in to their home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes, I agree with the man statement, but as PP's have said, my father is in his late 60's and in the older days (power)tools were more a male thing. He did not mean anything bad with saying the word "man". It's just his age talking

I too want DS to learn about equality and that is why I am glad that dad has donated some unused tools to me. DS saw me drill holes and saw wood last week. He also always comes to me with a broken toy knowing I will fix it. "Mummy broken! Mummy fix it please".

I had a chat with my friend after that and asked her why she thought it was sexist. She said it was her right as a woman to call upon a man to fix things for her
    It had nothing to do with my father saying "instead of asking a man". She didn't care about that part.

By the way, how many women here say "repairman" and not "repairwoman"? Even spell check only recognizes repairman as a legit word. Bad BubHub!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not at all sexist as he clearly believes woman are capable of looking after themselves!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post
    Yes, I agree with the man statement, but as PP's have said, my father is in his late 60's and in the older days (power)tools were more a male thing. He did not mean anything bad with saying the word "man". It's just his age talking

I too want DS to learn about equality and that is why I am glad that dad has donated some unused tools to me. DS saw me drill holes and saw wood last week. He also always comes to me with a broken toy knowing I will fix it. "Mummy broken! Mummy fix it please".

I had a chat with my friend after that and asked her why she thought it was sexist. She said it was her right as a woman to call upon a man to fix things for her
    It had nothing to do with my father saying "instead of asking a man". She didn't care about that part.

By the way, how many women here say "repairman" and not "repairwoman"? Even spell check only recognizes repairman as a legit word. Bad BubHub!

bahahaha....she was cross because he was infringing on her right to play helpless female....and called him sexist???

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

Californication  (05-08-2012),delirium  (05-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post

Your friend needs to use her 'right' to an education to learn and understand the meaning of 'sexist'!!!

Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 05-08-2012 at 17:26.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Benji  (05-08-2012),Bubmum  (05-08-2012),WorkingClassMum  (05-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by smileygirl View Post
    sexist would be to say that "Women can't use power tools and need a man to do it".

I reckon your dad was not being sexist at all...more...equal opportunity!
    totally agree!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah looking back now, she's always been a bit of a no-brainer :-\
    Oh well, even no-brainers need friends, I guess?