ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I know the parents will say it is girls responsibility - the girl is saying so too. This is not an issue - my question was for tips on drying the iPod.

Im surprised that people would think kids this age shouldnt be responsible for looking after their $200 iPods. Has anyone who answered got a high school aged child?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    Look, you're being very defensive. You asked what we would do, so we are telling you. If you decide that you arent going to offer any money or a replacement then thats your prerogative. Keep the ipod in the rice until the mother comes to collect the girl and explain the story and hope for the best.

It was the girls fault for not checking the sheet before giving it to you...it was your fault for not checking the sheets before washing...it was the mothers fault for allowing valuables to go to a sleepover...it was someones fault for buying a 12yr old an ipod.......the blame can easily get passed around and around.

No I asked if there was any way to dry a wet iPod.

biscotti is offline Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beancounter View Post
    Im surprised that people would think kids this age shouldnt be responsible for looking after their $200 iPods. Has anyone who answered got a high school aged child?
    Yes, me.

I have a 12.5 yr old and a 15 yr old

And I'm not saying that I don't think 12 yr olds shouldn't be responsible but I think there is some level of shared responsibility in this situation. I would offer to replace it and I'm sure any of my daugher's friends parents would too.
    Last edited by biscotti; 05-08-2012 at 14:04.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to biscotti For This Useful Post:

Bubmum  (05-08-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (05-08-2012),Luna Lovegood  (05-08-2012)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No high school aged kids here.....but I have an 8yr old who took his ipod touch to school secretly after I told him not to. His friend dropped it and smashed the screen..I told DS it was too bad, so sad, he shouldnt have taken it.
    If he took it to a sleepover and it got damaged, I would be annoyed that it got damaged and wouldnt expect money or a replacement BUT the offer of one would be appreciated but not taken.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

kriista  (05-08-2012)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beancounter View Post
    No I asked if there was any way to dry a wet iPod.
    My apologies..you asked for 'advice' and said the mother doesnt know yet. I took that as advice on the situation not advice on how to dry a wet ipod. I thought because you already had it in rice and in the sun you were wanting advice on how to handle the situation from there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I guess we disagree. It is not an issue for me as I've now spoken to the mother who apologised to me for the stress it caused and has told her daughter she will need to wait awhile for another one.

Maybe if I had picked up the sheets, but the girl gave them to me.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to beancounter For This Useful Post:

MsImpatient  (05-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Im sorry but my 1 year old put my 7 year old iPod in the bath and I put it in rice for a couple days and it has never worked again :-(.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not an iPod, but an iPhone. It fell out of my back pocket into the loo and only got half submerged for about 3 seconds. I put it in rice, and sun for a week. Im it is now resting with iGod in iHeaven.

RIP iPhone. Never will I own another again. From now on I will only be drowning androids.

As to the parents, I would just call them and quietly explain what happened and tell them you feel absolutely terrible about it. Ask them if they want you to replace it? Maybe being put on the spot, might make them feel awkward to accept the offer.
    But I, personally, would go and buy a new/second hand one on ebay or something. Even if they decline my offer of buying a replacement.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Misschief For This Useful Post:

Demdez  (05-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=Misschief;6736633

As to the parents, I would just call them and quietly explain what happened and tell them you feel absolutely terrible about it. Ask them if they want you to replace it? Maybe being put on the spot, might make them feel awkward to accept the offer.
    But I, personally, would go and buy a new/second hand one on ebay or something. Even if they decline my offer of buying a replacement.[/QUOTE]

I stood in the laundry, asked the girls to strip their beds and bring me sheets and they went straight into the washing machine. The mother has apologised to me for her daughter stressing me!

I would absolutely replace the iPod if I thought it was in any way my fault, but I (and both the other mothers) don't see any fault in my part at all. Just interesting to see the reactions.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to beancounter For This Useful Post:

MsImpatient  (05-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well, that's good then. You don't have to replace it. Problem solved. Now fingers crossed that the rice will help.

I'm just saying that, even though it isn't anyone's fault really, it is just something I'd do. I guess I'm weird in that way.