+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Ivf pgd

Has anyone here had ivf with pgd? I've just started looking into it as DH has a genetic disease. Wondering if anyone could tell me an average cost for this? We have private health insurance. Just need to work out how much we be out of pocket.

Also probably a stupid question, but what is involved in ivf? What happens? How does the whole process work? What do I have to do? Will I need much time off work during the process?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Heartstringz,

Can help you too much with the PGD I'm afraid though I am sure someone will jump on that one soon for you. I think at my clinic it was about an extra $1500 for PGD though.
    IVF cycles I can help you with. If you are having PGD done they will be using ICSI too. There are many different protocols and programs that are used but I can tell you what we had.
    We have had what's called a 'long cycle' or a 'down reg' cycle, these are both types of 'stim cycles' which is where your ovaries are actually stimulated so they can collect eggs. We had to call the clinic on the first day of AF when we wanted to start cycling.
    The first thing they did was put me on the pill for a month. This lowers your hormones and allows the clinic and doctors to have control over your cycle time and makes it more predictable. I stopped taking the pill when AF came and started taking a nasal spray called Synarel twice a day (it has to be taken at exactly the same time each time)
    Around day 14 I think it was (sorry it was a couple of years ago that we did a stim cycle) I started giving myself shots of FSH "follicle stimulating hormone" there are a number of different brands of FSH but they are all similar to a diabetes pen. Just roll with whatever you are most comfortable with with injections, whether you do it or whether DH does it. You will also start having regular (daily or every couple of days) transvaginal ultrasounds after a couple of days to measure the size and number of follicles you have. If they are not increasing in number or size enough they may change your FSH amount.
    Once all is well, (when your follicles measure around 20-25mm and there are a good number they will organise egg collection. Exactly 48 hours before your egg collection you will give yourself a 'trigger' injection which allows the eggs to be released from the ovaries.
    For the egg collection procedures seem to vary a fair bit. My clinic does them under a sedative and with local but I do know some that do it under GA. I don't mind having it done under the sedative, it makes me that stoned anyway that I really don't care what's going on. They will enter internally and inject local straight into the ovaries and will then use a rather large needle to suck the fluid out of the follicles one by one, a scientist will look at the fluid under a microsope and report on how many eggs they have gotten from them.
    I found recovery a bit painful but not too bad. Keep your fluids up and don't be afraid to take panadol or panadeine if you need it (try not to take nurofen or anti-inflammatories). Take it easy and stay in bed for a while.
    You will have some progesterone support in the middle between egg collection and embryo transfer which will either be a couple more hCg shots (the same ones used for the trigger) or some pessaries.
    Embryo transfer is really easy and only takes about 15 mins, they just feed a canula into your uterus and place the embryo back in its warm little home. Then you say a little prayer and head on home.

I usually took the day of and day after egg collection off and the same with embryo transfer. But each person is different and has different needs.

Good Luck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Grebbeci For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (02-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Feel free to ask anything I may have missed. I'm sure there's bits.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank-you so much! It looks like this is probably the option we are going to go with, so your information is really useful. Now we just have to work out if we can afford it.

Not sure on all the needles/injections though - do you always have to give yourself injections, regardless of the circumstances? I'd be on the floor the second I looked at the epipen. There's no way I could inject myself, and probably wouldn't even be able to let DH do it, I reckon I'd pass out then as well.

Really scared about how they remove & then re-inmplant the eggs - with the needle & anesthetic etc, that sounds so scary!!!

By the way, is there a cost for ICSI on top of IVF as well? Trying to work out how much this whole thing is going to cost, estimating probably $10,000 at the moment (before rebates). Does that sound about accurate? Not sure what rebates we will get because we are doing this by choice because of a genetic disease.

tiggerfields is offline Priestess of Kult K'iesha... Mooo!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there,

we've just done a PGD cycle. It cost $11,800. Of that about $6,500 was out of pocket and the rest was Medicare. Our private health only covered in-patient charges ie for the day fees for egg collection and embryo transfer.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tiggerfields For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (02-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks tiggerfields! That's more than I thought, so will have to have another look at the budget - we had budgeted to raise a baby, but not for IVF etc on top of that. Hopefully we can find the money to make it possible.

Good luck with your IVF!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Needles are one of those funny things that you never think you can do until you have to do it. The first one is the hardest then they get easier. Really feels no worse than pinching yourself. Unfortunately there is no way to avoid them in an ivf cycle
    The egg collection isn't that bad either. A bit sore before hand depending on how many follicles you have. I really don't remember too much of the actual surgeries except for the kind of odd stoned feeling. And the transfer back is no more uncomfortable than a pap smear, probably less uncomfortable actually.
    You will be fine.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub