+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We used an organic mattress in our bassinet...it was kind of spongy, but still firm enough IMO (sat on a firm board). It was made from a sponge-like material, but if you moved your hand away, the imprint pops out again. I would never have used it if I thought it was a suffocation risk in the slightest

ETA: My description of the mattress was terrible so I googled the exact one:

Latex Breather Hole Mattress: The Seed Organic Cradle has a latex mattress which is a 100% natural organic product derived from the milky sap of the Hevea Brasiliensis (Rubber Tree). It is hypoallergenic and anti-microbial which means it does not grow bacteria or mould and nasty dust mites and bugs won’t burrow inside. It will contour to the shape of your baby’s body, building up no pressure points and is a breathable open cell structure for better air circulation, making it a far superior mattress for your baby. And what’s best is that it’s a naturally derived renewable resource – so it’s a good choice for the future of our environment.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (30-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Dss matress i brought new, $99.
    It is made by babyhood and you can bury your face RIGHT into it and still breath .

I brought it early, removed the plastic wrap and aired it but from memory there wasnt alot of 'new object' smell from it.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not sure if this is allowed but this is dss exact matress

http://www.babyhood.com.au/mattresse...0mm-600mm.html

They say they are synthetic chemical free?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GuestMember For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (30-07-2012)

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    this is the one I had looked at but I dunno - im scared of buying something dangerous... was looking at the futon for the bassinet and the innerspring for the cot

http://organature.com.au/category/th...oom-furniture/

wicky - do they sell those mattresses seperate and for cots - what mattress did u get for the boys cots?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would take the knowns over the unknowns. We know soft mattresses are a suffocation risk.

We don't know those chemicals are harmful. And it's fire retardant? That sounds like a good thing to me !

Gotta be honest I have a chemistry degree and most of that explanation went over my head. But I did understand the part about there being no proven link.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

MoonstoneMare  (31-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmi View Post
    Dss matress i brought new, $99.
    It is made by babyhood and you can bury your face RIGHT into it and still breath .
    DS's cot package was from Babyhood, so I got an $89,- mattress of Babyhood for free.
    It lasted 6 months before I had to buy a new and more sturdy mattress (the Tasman Eco). DS never moved in his sleep and as he was a very heavy bub with a big bum, he wore this big dent in the middle of the mattress and it wasn't helping him with learning to roll lol.
    But DS was unusually heavy for his age though (still is). I'm sure the Babyhood mattress would've lasted a bub of normal weight, a lot longer.

I gave the Babyhood one to my parents for them to use when DS was sleeping at their place.
    It has since been sent to the tip as he now sleeps in a single bed these days and the dent jst got worse over time. Not even worth giving away to charity.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post
    DS's cot package was from Babyhood, so I got an $89,- mattress of Babyhood for free.
    It lasted 6 months before I had to buy a new and more sturdy mattress (the Tasman Eco). DS never moved in his sleep and as he was a very heavy bub with a big bum, he wore this big dent in the middle of the mattress and it wasn't helping him with learning to roll lol.
    But DS was unusually heavy for his age though (still is). I'm sure the Babyhood mattress would've lasted a bub of normal weight, a lot longer.

I gave the Babyhood one to my parents for them to use when DS was sleeping at their place.
    It has since been sent to the tip as he now sleeps in a single bed these days and the dent jst got worse over time. Not even worth giving away to charity.
    Odd, dss is 2 years old now and still fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't understand all of that science info you posted, but one thing stands out clearly for me and it is mentioned twice "There was no evidence to suggest that levels of trimethylantimony or total methylantimony forms in cot mattress foams have a causal relation to SIDS."

Or am I missing something???

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ilovehats For This Useful Post:

MoonstoneMare  (31-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just got a standard mattress that came with the cot, no probs here.
    If you're really concerned about suffocation I'd focus on the bassinet mattress, not the cot as most babies have control of their head and back before they sleep in there overnight...
    My hub HATED her firm bassinet mattress and I had to go and buy a soft one lol!
    Also, tbh I think SIDS goes a little overboard sometimes. (Please I'm not taking away from the danger or sadness of children who have died of cot death but...) sometimes it seems like nothing is safe, and information changes on a regular basis. Buy the mattress that fits your budget and invest in a good carseat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TnA View Post
    I just got a standard mattress that came with the cot, no probs here.
    If you're really concerned about suffocation I'd focus on the bassinet mattress, not the cot as most babies have control of their head and back before they sleep in there overnight...
    My hub HATED her firm bassinet mattress and I had to go and buy a soft one lol!
    Also, tbh I think SIDS goes a little overboard sometimes. (Please I'm not taking away from the danger or sadness of children who have died of cot death but...) sometimes it seems like nothing is safe, and information changes on a regular basis. Buy the mattress that fits your budget and invest in a good carseat.
    This