+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28
  1. #11
    Witwicky's Avatar
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    5,630
    Thanks
    4,446
    Thanked
    3,496
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We used an organic mattress in our bassinet...it was kind of spongy, but still firm enough IMO (sat on a firm board). It was made from a sponge-like material, but if you moved your hand away, the imprint pops out again. I would never have used it if I thought it was a suffocation risk in the slightest

    ETA: My description of the mattress was terrible so I googled the exact one:

    Latex Breather Hole Mattress: The Seed Organic Cradle has a latex mattress which is a 100% natural organic product derived from the milky sap of the Hevea Brasiliensis (Rubber Tree). It is hypoallergenic and anti-microbial which means it does not grow bacteria or mould and nasty dust mites and bugs won’t burrow inside. It will contour to the shape of your baby’s body, building up no pressure points and is a breathable open cell structure for better air circulation, making it a far superior mattress for your baby. And what’s best is that it’s a naturally derived renewable resource – so it’s a good choice for the future of our environment.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

    Buttoneska  (30-07-2012)

  3. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,700
    Thanks
    358
    Thanked
    503
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Dss matress i brought new, $99.
    It is made by babyhood and you can bury your face RIGHT into it and still breath .

    I brought it early, removed the plastic wrap and aired it but from memory there wasnt alot of 'new object' smell from it.

    Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

  4. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,700
    Thanks
    358
    Thanked
    503
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not sure if this is allowed but this is dss exact matress

    http://www.babyhood.com.au/mattresse...0mm-600mm.html

    They say they are synthetic chemical free?

    Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to GuestMember For This Useful Post:

    Buttoneska  (30-07-2012)

  6. #14
    Buttoneska's Avatar
    Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,675
    Thanks
    2,066
    Thanked
    1,982
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    this is the one I had looked at but I dunno - im scared of buying something dangerous... was looking at the futon for the bassinet and the innerspring for the cot

    http://organature.com.au/category/th...oom-furniture/

    wicky - do they sell those mattresses seperate and for cots - what mattress did u get for the boys cots?

  7. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,717
    Thanks
    3,730
    Thanked
    4,020
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would take the knowns over the unknowns. We know soft mattresses are a suffocation risk.

    We don't know those chemicals are harmful. And it's fire retardant? That sounds like a good thing to me !

    Gotta be honest I have a chemistry degree and most of that explanation went over my head. But I did understand the part about there being no proven link.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

    MoonstoneMare  (31-07-2012)

  9. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,956
    Thanks
    666
    Thanked
    636
    Reviews
    7
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmi View Post
    Dss matress i brought new, $99.
    It is made by babyhood and you can bury your face RIGHT into it and still breath .
    DS's cot package was from Babyhood, so I got an $89,- mattress of Babyhood for free.
    It lasted 6 months before I had to buy a new and more sturdy mattress (the Tasman Eco). DS never moved in his sleep and as he was a very heavy bub with a big bum, he wore this big dent in the middle of the mattress and it wasn't helping him with learning to roll lol.
    But DS was unusually heavy for his age though (still is). I'm sure the Babyhood mattress would've lasted a bub of normal weight, a lot longer.

    I gave the Babyhood one to my parents for them to use when DS was sleeping at their place.
    It has since been sent to the tip as he now sleeps in a single bed these days and the dent jst got worse over time. Not even worth giving away to charity.

  10. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,700
    Thanks
    358
    Thanked
    503
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post
    DS's cot package was from Babyhood, so I got an $89,- mattress of Babyhood for free.
    It lasted 6 months before I had to buy a new and more sturdy mattress (the Tasman Eco). DS never moved in his sleep and as he was a very heavy bub with a big bum, he wore this big dent in the middle of the mattress and it wasn't helping him with learning to roll lol.
    But DS was unusually heavy for his age though (still is). I'm sure the Babyhood mattress would've lasted a bub of normal weight, a lot longer.

    I gave the Babyhood one to my parents for them to use when DS was sleeping at their place.
    It has since been sent to the tip as he now sleeps in a single bed these days and the dent jst got worse over time. Not even worth giving away to charity.
    Odd, dss is 2 years old now and still fine.

    Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

  11. #18
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    485
    Thanks
    115
    Thanked
    82
    Reviews
    0
    I don't understand all of that science info you posted, but one thing stands out clearly for me and it is mentioned twice "There was no evidence to suggest that levels of trimethylantimony or total methylantimony forms in cot mattress foams have a causal relation to SIDS."

    Or am I missing something???

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to ilovehats For This Useful Post:

    MoonstoneMare  (31-07-2012)

  13. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Kalgoorlie
    Posts
    232
    Thanks
    128
    Thanked
    33
    Reviews
    0
    I just got a standard mattress that came with the cot, no probs here.
    If you're really concerned about suffocation I'd focus on the bassinet mattress, not the cot as most babies have control of their head and back before they sleep in there overnight...
    My hub HATED her firm bassinet mattress and I had to go and buy a soft one lol!
    Also, tbh I think SIDS goes a little overboard sometimes. (Please I'm not taking away from the danger or sadness of children who have died of cot death but...) sometimes it seems like nothing is safe, and information changes on a regular basis. Buy the mattress that fits your budget and invest in a good carseat.

  14. #20
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    547
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    268
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TnA View Post
    I just got a standard mattress that came with the cot, no probs here.
    If you're really concerned about suffocation I'd focus on the bassinet mattress, not the cot as most babies have control of their head and back before they sleep in there overnight...
    My hub HATED her firm bassinet mattress and I had to go and buy a soft one lol!
    Also, tbh I think SIDS goes a little overboard sometimes. (Please I'm not taking away from the danger or sadness of children who have died of cot death but...) sometimes it seems like nothing is safe, and information changes on a regular basis. Buy the mattress that fits your budget and invest in a good carseat.
    This


 

Similar Threads

  1. Cot Mattresses, Please Help!
    By maple in forum Product Recommendations & Questions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 25-11-2012, 18:47
  2. Mattresses
    By MothersMilk in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-10-2012, 10:08
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 16-01-2012, 16:14

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
Pea Pods Reusable NappiesPea Pods are the smart choice when it comes to choosing what's best for you, your baby and the environment. Affordable ...
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›