Closed Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Kids couldn't care less about going to child-care

What I suspected all along and now a study to prove it. Here's a link to an article in today's Sydney Morning Herald....

http://www.smh.com.au/national/kids-...725-22r4a.html

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I completely agree. I went to daycare from an early age and so did my partner and my Kids do now. Sometimes you'll read or hear "kids under 3" or some age, are better off at home full time. I've never personally beleived it. There are so many factors that go into raising happy kids. Going to daycare and playing with kids, doing activities with staff and having some lunch and a sleep is hardly the sort of thing which damages a child. Having to learn to separate from mum for a little while each day is not harmful either imo.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My child cared She was happy to be at my work, but 4 years after finishing childcare she still tells me how she feels and it isn't good, and she was at a top quality centre.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

captainscaptain  (14-08-2012)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    One study doesn't prove anything. I think the jury is still very much still out on this one. My DS thrives at CC but i don't think it's right or harmless for every child or family.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

austmum  (14-08-2012),captainscaptain  (14-08-2012),Chocolate All Gone Now  (14-08-2012),Eko  (14-08-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (13-08-2012),LoveLivesHere  (14-08-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (14-08-2012),peanutmonkey  (14-08-2012),SassyMummy  (14-08-2012),share a book  (13-08-2012),Stiflers Mom  (13-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have to say it depends on the child

I know children like my ds who could not care less, i could not even get a cya mum out of him and he would tell me 'no, go away' when i came to take him home.

I also know children who cry, the whole day. Even after weeks of going they melt down when mum leaves and it does not stop.

I also know children who act out, they spend 5 days a week in care.

When it gets to much they spit, they break things, they run around screaming, they bite and they hit. And they suddenly 'forget' how to urinate in the toilet, they attempt to eat the craft items, when a break from childcare is done they are a normal well adjusted child.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    What do they mean when they say the study showed boys had more conflict with carers? Like fighting with them?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    One study doesn't prove anything. I think the jury is still very much still out on this one. My DS thrives at CC but i don't think it's right or harmless for every child or family.

I don't see why childcare would be harmful for any child unless it was poor quality. One study may not prove anything to you.. but the number of times I have heard people spout rubbish about Children who go to daycare being more stressed, children with stay at home mums being more intelligent etc.. there is no evidence children are better off with a full time stay at home parent. If That is someone's personal beleif that's cool.. but there is no evidence that its better. And I have read a few studies about staying home vs childcare and never seen any real evidence that children are better off in either situation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    it's totally down to the child and the family. That is why there is different models of care, because there is no one size fits all solution.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubmum For This Useful Post:

GuestMember  (13-08-2012)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bumMum View Post
    I don't see why childcare would be harmful for any child unless it was poor quality. One study may not prove anything to you.. but the number of times I have heard people spout rubbish about Children who go to daycare being more stressed, children with stay at home mums being more intelligent etc.. there is no evidence children are better off with a full time stay at home parent. If That is someone's personal beleif that's cool.. but there is no evidence that its better. And I have read a few studies about staying home vs childcare and never seen any real evidence that children are better off in either situation.

There's lots of bad quality care, is part of the issue, but that's beside my point. I have witnessed first hand children being harmed by CC. Even in great centres. The problem with these sorts of studies is that they're looking at kids who are currently in care, which means that the vast majority will 'suit' childcare. It's not like you can randomly assign half a study population to go to CC, and they have to go whether they thrive or not. Most kids who have issues with CC will be taken out reasonably quickly, i saw it time and time again when I was working- kids who would be so distressed their parents would find alternative care or work arrangements.
    There's been studies that suggest that some kids are actually better off IN care than just at home with a primary carer, I think in all cases you're looking at SOME kids, not all.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Bubmum  (13-08-2012),Wallflower  (14-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    There's lots of bad quality care, is part of the issue, but that's beside my point. I have witnessed first hand children being harmed by CC. Even in great centres. The problem with these sorts of studies is that they're looking at kids who are currently in care, which means that the vast majority will 'suit' childcare. It's not like you can randomly assign half a study population to go to CC, and they have to go whether they thrive or not. Most kids who have issues with CC will be taken out reasonably quickly, i saw it time and time again when I was working- kids who would be so distressed their parents would find alternative care or work arrangements.
    There's been studies that suggest that some kids are actually better off IN care than just at home with a primary carer, I think in all cases you're looking at SOME kids, not all.

Yes well most parents do Care about their kids thankfully, so if childcare appears to be harming them they will work something else out. I've worked in childcare too. I don't see what's wrong with the study.. Its as good as any other study done on this issue. Most children who attend childcare from an early age and continue going are completely fine. They aren't scarred by their experience.
    I've seen a few kids really flip out and not adjust to childcare too. But I saw that only a handful of times, but the vast majority were quite content. My son was in a completely awful Montessori childcare and I removed him because he was unhappy.
    Most parents want what's best for their kids and don't make choices about childcare without considering their children's feelings.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast