+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default At my wits ends!

DS is 2. He sleeps in my bed which is really my fault. He wont go to sleep before 9pm and not without us in bed. He becomes so hyper at around 8pm. Now I realise that as we both work full-time he may just be excited to see mummy and daddy, but we are both home by 5.30 pm.

He is getting way to big to sleep with. A few weeks ago I tried taking him to his bed at 7.30pm and laying with him. He will scream for half an hour and then toss and turn until about 9-9.30 pm. He has to be up at 7am and I worry he doesnt get enough sleep. Even without a day sleep there is no difference.

Last night was the straw on the camels back, it took him 18 months to sleep through and he slept from 7pm until 7am. Then we took the bottle away and our lives where turned upside down. He didn't seem to mind no bottle so much, his routine just went straight out the window.

Last night we had 4 hours of broken sleep! Yes maybe he was teething (i think he has just cut a molar) or even has a little cold. But I cannot go to work and work properly like this. Dont get me wrong, he is my number 1 priority, but I need him to go in to his own bed!! After 18 months of getting up min. 2 times a night, I like a long night sleep!

He is pit of a cot, has been for over a year, Ive tried comfort toys/blankets. He just screams himself to sleep in there or plays while laying in bed.

I am so scared of cc because he is a very emotional crier who can take hours to give in, and he works himself up to a sweat/red/deep breathing stage VERY quick.

What can I do!? I just dont know anymore. I am just at the point where I really feel like I am failing and putting my job on the line too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hon, you aren't failing..kids are hard work. My dd was the same, she would get herself all worked up...just keep things very calm when you comehome, bath, dinner, bed..and try getting him to bed earlier. he sounds overtired.
    My little person is 4 now and will not go to sleep early, that is her way..but I think if I was more structured and more disciplined it could be different. Another tip a friend gave me was only one story at bedtime, or they keep wanting more.
    Another thing you could try is turning out the lights. You will find some magic formula..don't give in, you are doing an amazing job holding it all together

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I found it helped my 2yo in taking away (or lessening the bottles) to give him a dummy. I know it seems like a backwards step but if it works to transition him into sleeping into his own bed then it might be worth it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you ladies, I know I will find a way, It just seems tht Ive tried a lot and nothing is working!
    He hasnt had a dummy since 4 months old, so thats not something I want to reindroduce, plus I dont think he would want it anyway.
    I feel horrible, this wouldnt even be so much of an issue if I was a sahm like I always wanted to be
    I knew this would be hard, it is just all getting on top of me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My almost 3 dd was the same. I bought a national geographic solar system night light projector and she lays there and watches the stars maybe something like that would work ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What you need to do is make a firm bedtime routine and stick to it. Don't keep changing it cause it's not working, just persist. He needs something to trigger for him that it's bedtime - a bottle doing that on it's own is impressive, so hopefully he will respond.

We used the Dr Seuss sleep book and we read it to our ds each night at bedtime for 6 months straight. It worked well and then over time we introduced different books into the mix and shortened the evening routine. It takes 3+ weeks to get a routine established, so persistence is the key.

Having said that my ds often stayed awake til 8 or 9pm til he was around 3, but he had big afternoon naps too. It worked well for us as my dh & I both worked full time too. Maybe just try for bedtime of 8:30pm, rather than 7:30pm and gradually bring it 15 minutes earlier til it's the time you want.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (26-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MyBubbaJack View Post
    I feel horrible, this wouldnt even be so much of an issue if I was a sahm like I always wanted to be
    I knew this would be hard, it is just all getting on top of me.
    I cant offer advice - as the mother of a four year old bad sleeper. But I can say - you might still have a sh*tty sleeper if you were a SAHM - I work and I know from experience that going to work every day on no sleep is hard - but it would be hard to be a SAHM with no sleep too...... at least at work I get to drink my coffee hot.

Working motherhood does get easier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is very similar. She has rarely slept through the night since 6 months and she's almost 3. For the past 10 months she can take hours to go to sleep and will scream/cry forever until we give in. But the last week I've completely dropped her day sleep and started her bedtime routine earlier. This has made a HUGE difference. I can't believe how long it has taken me to work it out . This is her bedtime routine:

5.00pm Dinner
    5.30pm Bath
    6.00pm Playtime or some TV
    6.30pm Take her to her bedroom and read 2 books
    7.00pm Kisses and cuddles and then we leave her room.

When we leave her room we leave a lamp on with lullabies playing and her door open a little.

My DD still wakes through the night and comes into our bed but once I've got the going to sleep part down pat then I will address the other issue.

I had tried EVERYTHING with my DD and this was the only thing that has worked.

It is so exhausting having to go through it night after night so I feel your pain and frustration. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks heaps guys,

I know that he wouldnt be a better sleeper if I was a sahm, but at least he could sleep in after a late night, or a late night wouldnt effect me so much iykwim.

He normally doesnt mind when we move him into his bed after he falls asleep, he will sleep there all night happily. I do like him falling asleep with me. But sometimes it is really not ideal and I will fall asleep with him and me and DP will spend the night getting kicked ect. He is a horrible toss and turner.