ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Has anyone else had a bad experience with Brisbane Northwest Private?

I had my DD recently at the northwest private and had such a bad experience i'm unable to move on from it which is effecting me so much.

I had alot of intervention with the birth of DD which was bad enough to cope with but when transferred to the maternity ward i felt i didn't receive adequate care from the midwives. Breastfeeding my DD hasn't worked out and i'm now formula feeding her which i hate. I hate that i didn't get proper breastfeeding advice and left feeling very confused about breastfeeding and my DD was having some problems with "wide open mouth" which i wasn't given any advice about. I hate that i'm now feeding her with formula but couldn't help it as i didn't get much help with my breastfeeding and this is my first baby so i didn't know enought about breastfeeding to know that what i'm doing was right or wrong. My dd wasn't even 3 days old and we left the hospital. Did this happen to anyone else? My friend who had her baby at the Royal Brisbane earlier this year had midwives visit her home for two weeks after the birth of her baby but with the northwest we don't get midwife visists which i didn't know about. I thought i would have access to home visiting midwifes like my friend did.

Has anyone else had a bad experience at the northwest and how did you move on from it. Any advice on what i can do to move forward from here would be appreciated even if you haven't used this hospital before although i'm still interested to hear from anyone who has used them and had a not so favourable experience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My friend just had a baby boy there and it was awful! A midwife told her to push and she was only 9cm, the doctor was mortified. She ended up having a 17 hour labour (this is her second child so it's usually quicker which it wasn't), another epi, vacuum, his shoulders were stuck, ended up having damage to his arm, cord around the neck......
    The second midwife that came in the later stages said it should have been a c-section but bub was too far down at that stage.
    If the first midwife had any brains the labour would have been quicker and much less stressful for my friend.
    I think it's important for you to talk to someone about the birth, sometimes traumatic births and bad experiences can lead to post natal depression.
    I hope you can feel better soon and remember you are completely justified in your feelings and thoughts about what happened.
    Sending you positive thoughts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't birth at northwest. But just wanted to say "hugs" and I'm so sorry you had a horrible experience. Can you perhaps arrange a postnatal appointment to discuss your concerns? Or speak to your ob?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is only 2 weeks old today. I was expressing in the hospital as my DD wasn't feeding so well. I think my DD got a taste for the bottle and was hard for her to breastfeed after the ease of the bottle so i'm now bottle feeding her full time which I only just started on Wednesday. I tried ringing the ABA a couple of times to sort out my breastfeeding questions but got an answering machine message so gave up after that.

I haven't made my 6 week check up appointment yet and to be honest I don't want to go back. Does anyone know if it is essential to book a 6 week check up appointment? I'd rather forget the whole experience and concentrate on my baby.

Poppy30 - what a horrible experience for your friend to go through. My labour wasn't anything like that just long and far too much unnecessary intervention by the midwives.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have had 2 wonderful experiences at NW, but I wanted to say that you should not just ignore how you are feeling. Do not skip your checkup, talk to the obstetrician about what happened. Have you joined the community health centre in your area? I had a very traumatic first birth but sweeping it under the carpet did not help when I fell pregnant with #2, I should have dealt with it immediatly. My story is different as without the care of my ob at nw I am sure the outcome woud have been bad. Just dont ignore your feelings.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm so sorry to hear of your birth and experience afterwards. (hugs)

You may be able to pump some milk again and supplement feed - maybe contacting a private lactation consultant sooner than later to get some in home assistance. In the meantime please try the ABA again - they are manned by mothers but there is someone who will call back if it goes to messagebank again.

Birth trauma can stay with a woman a long time afterwards and I believe it's important to discuss these and never ever let anyone diminish or dismiss this. You must never let anyone downplay your emotions right now. Please speak to your partner and make it clear the exact support you need from them.

I also met with Birthtalks. They are based in Brisbane and meet with other parents who need to debrief in a non judgmental setting their birth experience.

It's early days and the feelings are all raw but if you address them quickly, hopefully the depth of rawness can pass and you can enjoy this really precious stage. Xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm sorry you had such a bad experience.

I had a wonderful experience at the NW, and will be going there again. I saw a FS there for a year prior to having DD, and have been going there for nearly 18mths now in order to conceive #2. I unfortunately just had a D&C there, which - whilst a terrible thing - was handled as well as I could have hoped by the hospital and staff. They were all very kind.

I found the midwives and staff at the NW to all be absolutely great when I had DD. No complaints at all. I have a number of friends who've given birth there too, and have only heard good things. I'm sorry you had such a terrible time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've never been there but just wanted to say that 3 day stay is pretty standard for most public hospital. I had an emergency c-section and was still discharged at 3 days. Having said this I also had a week of home visits so that made it much easier. As a pp said maybe look into your closest MCHN centre (through your local council) as they will be able to help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Really sorry that you had that experience. I live near that hospy and many of the mums from my mothers group birthed there. Unfortunately most of them had either births with interventions and or breastfeeding issues. I think their cs rate is >70%.

On girl was induced on her due date then given only 6hrs to get things moving to their "satisfactory" standard. So when she ended up with a cs as she was a failure to progress - she was then told that she probably couldn't breastfeed because of that cs. they also (from another mum) suggest that the babies sleep in the nursery so you get sleep overnight.... How does that help you breastfeed?!?!?!

I'm surprised that they only gave you 3 days in a private hospy! I birthed both my girls at the mater private in south bris and I stayed 6 days with my first and 5 with my second to establish bf. Both my doc and Paed would not discharge otherwise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was in for 4 nights there, which they told me was standard. Everyone I know who birthed there had a good experience and would go back (or intends to) - me included. I thought they were great.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

MummaOJ  (28-07-2012)