+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Spd & vbac

I have been told by my OB that me having SPD will make it even more likely for an c-section (i was going to try for vbac this time).

Anyone out there with spd and vbac experiences?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Bumping for the morning crowd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would say that is a load of absolute codswallop!

Having SPD does NOT impair your ability to give birth naturally and therefore has NO bearing on a VBAC. There may be some *extreme* cases where a c-section is preferable, but that would certainly NOT be the norm and again would be the option regardless of whether it was a VBAC or not.

My second baby was my first VBAC, I had no SPD.
    My third baby was my second VBAC, I had mild SPD.
    My fourth baby was my third VBAC, I had shocking SPD.

All SPD is is loose ligaments and 'relaxed' cartilage, more specifically in your pubic region (the join in your pubic bone), meaning your pelvis is looser and more unstable than normal and obviously rather painful, but it still doesn't impair your ability to birth naturally, previous c-section or not.

Researching your birthing position options though as some positions are better to birth in than others, especially if you have SPD. Trying to keep your pelvis in-line can be very helpful, so positions like squatting, kneeling and all fours are good positions, try to avoid giving birth on you back (which should be avoided anyway for a few reasons)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (19-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi baby4us

I don't know the answer to that, but I'd be interested too.

I had a c-section for DD, as my SPD was too bad to try for a natural. At the time a lot of people told me that a natural delivery is 'always' possible with SPD, and that there are things you can do to get through it. However, the advice from two different OBs and my midwife was that it is not always possible or advisable, and that in some circumstances severe SPD can lead to the likelihood of an emergency c-section, or more long-lasting damage after the birth.

I think it depends very much on your individual circumstances, and how bad your SPD is. Did you have SPD the first time around too? (I'm wondering if that was why you had a c-section previously).

Thanks
    Reviews
    my midwife actually said it increased my chances of having successful Vbac as it might just be that extra few mm's the baby's head needs to get out

Don't know if it was the case with me, but bub #2 had bigger head at 36cm and had a VBAC... I would rate the pain i was in as significant with the SPD, I don't believe it affected me negatively during delivery.

I guess each person is different though. My labour was short and sweet so i wasn't pacing etc which I guess would have been very painful seeing as though walking was hard for me.

All the best

ETA: I also saw physio weekly from 30 weeks, he couldn't do a lot but gave me a massage and treated my back.
    I'm also lucky enough to be related to an osteopath and the treatment she gave me i had instant relief from barely being able to get up and walk to walking with minimal pain. It was only temporary relief as I wasn't able to see her regularly but it definitely helped and I think if i had have been able to see her regularly it would have been really beneficial
    Last edited by Square777; 19-07-2012 at 11:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I haven't had a c section my I had bad SPD with my second and she came out easy peasy, no drama's at all. I don't think I even noticed any pain from having SPD during my labour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP, how severe is your SPD?

I wasn't able to walk, turn over in bed/ sit up, or make any movements without a lot of pain and assistance, so for me the c-section was needed.

I'd like to aim for a VBAC next time, but am aware the dreaded SPD may strike again, so will play it by ear when that time comes!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    OP, how severe is your SPD?

I wasn't able to walk, turn over in bed/ sit up, or make any movements without a lot of pain and assistance, so for me the c-section was needed.

I'd like to aim for a VBAC next time, but am aware the dreaded SPD may strike again, so will play it by ear when that time comes!
    Girl X that's how bad my pain was (didnt have it first pregnancy but did have back pain, not anything to do with c-section though).

Rolling over in bed was agony, getting up off the lounge too. NOt to mention walking.
    Any days where i had to push a pram/trolley I'd suffer that night and days afterwards, got to the point I jsut couldnt do it and hubby had to do it.
    So definitely is possible if you try for vbac even with spd.