+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Requesting paid maternity leave from employer when it is outside company policy

Hi All
    Help please! I will be commencing maternity leave in a few months and would like to discuss/request paid maternity leave (NOT the govt PPL) from my employer even though our company policy is that maternity leave is unpaid. I've been in my job for almost 6 years now and know that I am considered an integral part of the business (don't mean for that to sound like i have a huge ego!!! ). My firm is a small privately owned company, what would be a resonable request for paid maternity leave? I have heard some employers pay 3 months full pay / 6 months half pay although this seems to be mainly large public companies or govt organisations. I am ideally seeking something in the middle (4mths) but am unsure what is a resonable request - 1/3 of full pay?? I would love to hear from others that have been in this position and how you tackled the discussion. Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry I havent been in your position. I have been at my job for 2 years and am on mat leave. I had a choice of either 16 weeks full pay or 32 weeks at half pay. If I had been there for more than 5 years, I would get 26 weeks at full pay or 52 at half pay. HOWEVER that is for a large private company and its in our enterprise agreement. When I worked for a smaller company, my entitlement was 4 weeks full pay, didnt matter how long I had been there, again that was in our enterprise agreement.

I think you are entitled to 52 weeks unpaid leave, (plus govt PPL), and then its up to your employer to pay mat leave if they wish. I cant find anything that states you are entitled to paid maternity leave by an employer. I guess you can always ask, but I wouldnt expect anything from your employer, especially if the agreement states your mat leave is unpaid.

Good luck though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How small is the company? 3 months is a lot! I work for a global finance company and got 10 weeks... To be honest I don't think I would ask a small company for that much... Will they also be paying for a replacement for you? I guess it could be a good starting point for a negotiation though!

Hope you get something! I wish more people would ask for this sort of thing from their employers. Every little helps!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    From the sounds of it they dont have to pay you anything. So you'll have to make the deal sweet for them before they agree. How long total are you taking off? If you're taking 6-12 months that's going to be a big hit on a small employer (they might have to find a replacement etc). If you're only taking say 3 months, then that might soften them. If you are able to do some work from home, that might be agreeable for them. Note: I wouldn't try to do too much in the early months as your bubba may be high intensity. But from 3 months perhaps 14 hours per week would be doable?

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks everyone, great responses. I do feel very cheeky asking, but my role has generated a lot of revenue for the company over the last few years so kinda feel less guilty when I think about it like that . I have been tossing up what to offer them to sweeten the deal, because it is outside policy i think it is definately it is going to have to be a take / give scenario so thanks VicPark for your suggestions re working from home as this confirms what I was thinking. I am planning on taking 8 months off and then returning part time with a view to full time by 12mths. They will be paying a replacement but at a slightly lessor salary, and there is recurring revenue from my business that will still come in while I am away so hopefully they are willing to pass some of that along.

I think I will start the negotiation process at 16wks 30% of salary and go from there. Can only give it a go, I guess!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Requesting paid maternity leave from employer when it is outside company policy

I work for govt and they give you 14weeks full pay and u can use 2 weeks of personal leave (if u wish) PLUS ur eligible for govt paid PPL.

Smaller priv companies I've been at before offer 6weeks full pay.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by knacks8 View Post
    thanks everyone, great responses. I do feel very cheeky asking, but my role has generated a lot of revenue for the company over the last few years so kinda feel less guilty when I think about it like that . I have been tossing up what to offer them to sweeten the deal, because it is outside policy i think it is definately it is going to have to be a take / give scenario so thanks VicPark for your suggestions re working from home as this confirms what I was thinking. I am planning on taking 8 months off and then returning part time with a view to full time by 12mths. They will be paying a replacement but at a slightly lessor salary, and there is recurring revenue from my business that will still come in while I am away so hopefully they are willing to pass some of that along.

I think I will start the negotiation process at 16wks 30% of salary and go from there. Can only give it a go, I guess!
    No way - start it higher. You sound valuable. 16 weeks at 30% = around 5 weeks pay, that's nothing and it's not going to sweeten anything for you. You want 8 months off work - ask for 6 months paid leave at 75% and the proviso that you are available during that time to 'assist' your replacement should he/she need phone/email/review of work support. Maintain open communication and 'a finger in the pie' whilst you are on leave and then when you come back pt you'll the ground running. You'll have to negotiate staying with the company for at least x amount of time after the leave or paying them back your salary if you leave. Then the sweetener for them is that they are paying to retain a star employer. It's called a retainer and companies use t all the time when people they want I keep employed want leave for whatever reason.

Thanks
    Reviews

I agree with pp... Start off higher just so you have some room for negotiation.
    I work for a medium size nation-wide company and got nothing so good luck lol.... But.... It's worth asking! The worst that can happen is they can say no.
    Just go in prepared with facts of why you deserve it.

Can you let us know how you go? Would love to hear their response...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It never hurts to ask! The worst that can happen is they give you a flat out no.

I work for a large non-profit org and after 2 years of continuous service we're entitled to 9 weeks pay (or 18 at half pay). Between that and the govt PPL I consider myself very lucky!

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    good luck - I guess it depends on the financial position of the company - can they actually reasonably afford to pay you while you are not there?

I honestly don't see why they would agree to it though, what is the benefit for them? Where is the incentive? So they can retain you after 12mths/end of your ML?

Is it likely you will be poached to another company if they don't?

We have negioated that I can return whenever I want and work as many hours from home as suit - if its during the PPL period he will hold off my pay until that finishes adn then back pay me. He will also pay all my childcare costs.

All of those negiations though are based on me actually working and generating revenue for the business IYKWIM.

I guess the only thing ot consider is what do you have to lose by doing it? If it doesn't go as planned, how will it impact of your future r.s with them?