+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmi View Post
    pertussis is an interesting one, the original dtp vaccine was introduced in 1953 and we now do at 2, 4 and 6 months and then again at 4 years yet there is only 14 more cases for those either not vaxx'd or not fully vaxxed comparable with those in the 5-9 range who in theory should be fully vaxx'd,

10-14 the rates drop dramatically by 200 cases this year and then the 15 - 19 range drop again to only 188 cases,

Why are those contracting it the most freshly immunised or only partly / not immunised? shouldnt there be a big drop between those NOT or only partially immunised and those who are over 5 and have recieved the whole thing?
    Just a guess but the vaccine changed in 2005 (I think) to a safer, but less effective, type.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

GuestMember  (16-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think "they" aim for a 95% coverage for herd immunity to be effective...?

The vaccination rate varies from place to place, but I still think as a country, we're pretty well covered, though yes it could be better as there have been declining rates, and I do believe we could boost those rates by reminding adults to booster up.

At the moment I still think it's only around 2% of people registered as Conscientious Objectors (please correct me if my figures a wrong, I can't double check atm as I'm on my phone), though I've no idea the % of people who don't vaxx and aren't registered CO.

So if it takes around 95% vaccination rate for herd immunity, around 5% of those vaccinations won't be effective, plus the 2% (approx) of registered CO, drops the rate to around 88% covered vaccination rates, but that doesn't allow for non-registered CO.

So a pretty good coverage for herd immunity, but not great. But also, as I selectively vaxx, my children obviously contribute to herd immunity for *some* VPDs, but not others, but I'm also a registered CO (have to be for the vaxxes they don't have so we can prove their vaxx *status* is up to date for school etc), so I'm not sure how our situation would affect the overall percentage rates, are we counted twice, so a percentage towards herd immunity plus a percentage towards registered CO...? Because if so, I and other selective vaxxers would skew the data a little.

But after all that rambling yes. I believe herd immunity works and is still working, but perhaps not to its full potential.

*I can haz typos*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've noticed that I can only seem to find the percentage of children who are vaccinated in Australia - which is sitting at around 90%. But if the whole population isn't at 90% then that isn't going to mean we are covered by Herd immunity. So I wonder how many adults are - is there a place where we can find that info?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would assume, unlike with kids as there is an immunisation register , they don't record adult boosters? I'll check with my GP next time but when DH and I had the pertussis booster 2 years ago we were never asked to sign anything and as it was free at the time we never paid anything

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have searched and searched and I think you may be right. Even if there was now, would it have been going for the last 90+ years - I doubt it!

So really - our levels could be quite low if you include every person in Australia - most people before 1953 have caught measles - apparently it was 90%...but what about from 1953 to 1989 when MMR became routine?

I know I had measles and mumps when I was 9 at school, but I don't think I had anything else except tetanus because of an accident on a farm.

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I would assume, unlike with kids as there is an immunisation register , they don't record adult boosters? I'll check with my GP next time but when DH and I had the pertussis booster 2 years ago we were never asked to sign anything and as it was free at the time we never paid anything

Thanks
    Reviews
    I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that herd immunity rates only included children, in that "they" like to see 95% of children vaxxed to hit herd immunity.

But I would be very wrong on that, but it would make sense, if 95% of children are vaxxed (in theory) then whatever percentage of adults are vaxxed/have natural immunity would boost the herd immunity rate even higher.

Soo, based on my own figured inmy previous post, if roughly 88% of children are listed are covered by vaccination, and another 10% of adults, that could boost herd immunity levels to 98%, but then, that sounds a bit too high...

Would be interesting to find out if adults are included or not!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

beebs  (16-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://www.health.vic.gov.au/immunis...es/history.htm
    This is a cool site, gives you when the vaccines were introduced in Australia, by the look of it most people born before 1965-1970 would not be vaccinated ( or as children anyway) for measles, mumps, rubella and the majority of today's diseases
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 16-07-2012 at 09:45.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

beebs  (16-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillynix View Post
    I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that herd immunity rates only included children, in that "they" like to see 95% of children vaxxed to hit herd immunity.

But I would be very wrong on that, but it would make sense, if 95% of children are vaxxed (in theory) then whatever percentage of adults are vaxxed/have natural immunity would boost the herd immunity rate even higher.

Soo, based on my own figured inmy previous post, if roughly 88% of children are listed are covered by vaccination, and another 10% of adults, that could boost herd immunity levels to 98%, but then, that sounds a bit too high...

Would be interesting to find out if adults are included or not!
    Yes but that was my point, let's say 95% of kids up to the age of 4 are vaxxed to schedule, then the vaccines wear off over the next 10 plus years does that mean everyone over 20 would have waning immunity or no immunity ( unless of course 95% of adults get boosters) which then means our kids have herd immunity but adults don't! I'm so confused!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The only one that wanes is Whooping cough, every thing else is for life unless it doesn't *take* with you, which means you are in that 3 - 15 % category depending on the vax.

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Yes but that was my point, let's say 95% of kids up to the age of 4 are vaxxed to schedule, then the vaccines wear off over the next 10 plus years does that mean everyone over 20 would have waning immunity or no immunity ( unless of course 95% of adults get boosters) which then means our kids have herd immunity but adults don't! I'm so confused!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had to get a rubella booster before I had DS as my levels were below what they considered immune ( I was vaccinated at 13- so mine had worn off in 26 years) a few of my friends also had to get rubella before getting pregnant as well