+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Is Qld govt housing really in crisis?

2 single mums applied to move in together after being told there are no smaller places to move into.

Mum 1 has a 6yo dd and does fdc from the property. She lives in a 3brm house.

Across the road is a single mum with an 8yo dd working as a teacher aide. Also in a 3brm house.

There is a 4brm house next door to the teacher aide mum that has been vacant almost a year.

FDC mum and Teacher Aide mum asked to move into vacant 4brm house. They would free up 2 x 3brm houses and occupy a 4brm house. If that works out, they will apply to rent or buy together in the same area.

They were told that is not how it works. So neither can downsize. Neither are likely to have anyone move into spare room (singles will not be placed with families, 2 families will only be placed together if they are all one gender and have their own room. Meanwhile a house is left vacant that will not be expensive for those 2 to move to.

So is there really a crisis? (I believe so, but it doesn't seem the govt really believes it)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It is very frustrating when the government trips up on it own red tape - these 2 groups are handing the dept the opportunity to house 2 more families and they can't/wait take it.

There is a Dept of housing house down the road from me. I guess it has either 3 or 4 bedrooms, disability access (which must be sought after) and there is a family with grown children (meaning they are adults, like with grey hair) that moved out of it last year, didn't notify the dept and allowed their dodgy younger relative to live there for a while, and then it sat vacant for over 6 months. It now has a family living there, but as far as I know, they don't have need of the disability access.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both families have houses with disabled access, and while the 4brm house has a ramp, it has no bars for disabled use in the house itself. I will never understand. It will be all girls, kids of similar ages, both have a blue card and criminal history check, everything you would want if you live with a person, very slim chance of anything happening that the govt can be blamed for. They are annoyed about it because they feel they are unable to afford private rentals but taking up too much space.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe they need to say they are in a relationship. So stupid, the whole thing beggars belief

Thanks
    Reviews
    They are both now worried a drug addict who has violent outbursts will move in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm, people get all upset about under-occupancy but are rather quiet about this type of thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    yeah i think thats pretty stupid, considering they want to move in together...it annoys me when the gov says there is a housing shortage and does nothing to fill empty houses.

my mum lives in a complex of four townhouses, all gov housing, one has sat empty since xmas...

and we have people sleeping in cars....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Same issues in South Australia.
    Scores of brand new homes sitting empty for 18 months.
    Of those near us that are occupied, the front gardens and general state of those houses are beyond filthy.

Brand new apartment complex went up in an adjacent suburb sporting 30 rooms....but only for young offenders.

Neughbour and his mate living in a 4 br house...says his kids are living there. But they never have. Rent he pays? $50 a week.

People living in their 3 br homes alone refusing to move because it's "their family home"....

Homelessness? I can see why....

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't understand why the gov doesn't do more to ensure the houses are filled as quickly as possible..surely it can't be that hard...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post
    I don't understand why the gov doesn't do more to ensure the houses are filled as quickly as possible..surely it can't be that hard...
    Yep, and allow the people who want to move in together, to do so.