+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cars & 4 kids what would u do?

Hi

I am pregnant with my 4th child we only have a 5 seater dual cab ute.

We've saved money and prefer not to take out finance at this time.

So we have not got a lot saved.

My options are; a 99 model people mover with 148,000kms on it...

Or I could get a mazda tribute 2003 model a lot newer 130,000kms on it.

Means we would have to use two cars when dads home (he works away) my DD can ride in the front...

What would u do???

Are there any parents out there with 4 kids that manage with 2 five seater cars???

Id love some help and advice

I'm not going to get much for my money if I get a people mover

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have a cheap people mover, it's a Holden Zafira, 7 seater. I definitely vote for the people mover, having 5 seater means you won't be able to take an extra if your kids want a friend over etc... and taking 2 cars when Dad's home can be a huge hassle.

I only have 2 kids, but my neighbours had 4 kids and 2 5 seaters and hated it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We only have 3 kids but we were a one car family for 6 years. I can't imagine having to travel separately every time you wanted to go somewhere as a family...it would get really expensive with petrol and maintenance costs etc. plus what do you do when you want to go on holidays?
    I'd go the old people mover.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Keep looking around!
    Really the people mover sounds better for the age there are less KMs on it - it's only 18000 more than the newer one you mentioned and I think the "rule" or "average" is 15000-20000 per year?!
    I would definatly go a people mover! Look around more as I'm sure you will find something to suit you!
    We have 2 cars that suit our family one is a 2009 7 seater territory and the other is a 1998 8 seater landcruiser. I wouldn't have it any other way as we can all still be together go for drives as family when we decide to extend our family than bit more

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you don't mind me asking, how much do you have saved and how old are your kids?

We are expecting our 4th in sept and, as luck would have it, i crashed my car when I was 9 weeks pregnant and had to get a new car anyway! We got a Kia carnival ($12,000) with 120000kms and I was suprised at the cheap cars around at the time.. I wasnt looking to spend much but my parents fortunately loaned us the money :-)

I could never have got another sedan and had to use 2 cars for all of us to go anywhere.. It would drive me crazy..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd vote on the people mover. I've got 4 kids and a 7 seater car but recently had to drive my hubby 5 seater ute for a few days it was such a hassle..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    OH gosh, I couldn't imagine having to split betweeen two cars, it's nice when we can all go places together on the weekends, etc. I vote the people mover, definitely. We have a Hyundai Imax (5 kids) and it is amazing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I found a Mazda for 6k when looking for a 7 seater.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 7 seater was $5,400, it's a 2004 and we love it.

I thought there was nothing under 12k that had 3 rows, but found a few Zafira's.

We've had it 6 months and have only had issues with the ignition locking up and that was caused by us parking it out in the sun on a hot Queensland day and the barrel expanding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi thanks for your responses!

We only have about $7000 to spend was hoping for a bit back on tax, hubby paid about $45,000 tax and got a bill! so that really stuffs up for plans on getting a decent car now...

Looking at the mazda mpvs.

Hubby wont let me look at the zafiras he said he's heard too many bad things about them - same as the carnivals ... *sighs*

I really don't like the idea of having 2 five seater cars but doesn't look like were going to get much for our $7000 either.