+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Renting & Mice or Rats in Walls - Help!

Hi all,

I'm sorry, but this is going to be a long one!

I am going crazy - I was convinced that we had a rat living under our house and in our walls (between the outer wall and plaster inner wall) because I can hear it moving in the wall and it has been chewing on the underside of the wooden floors in two places! I asked our agent whether the landlord will pay to have someone come to take care of the problem since they're not in the house - yet! After two weeks and the advice of 'wait and see if it goes away', the agent finally took my call earlier this week and said he had spoken to the owner and he would like us to try Ratsak first. I told him there are a lot of outdoor cats that I see all the time and I wouldn't want to poison them, but he told me to find where it's coming in and put the poison there.

We bought some Ratsak which specifically says to keep away from animals and out of the reach of non-vermin, so I decided to go and cut back the plants out front (I can't find a hole or entrance in the back garden) and put the poison in there if I found one. I've just been out trying that and all I can find is a 2.5cm gap between the bricks in the front. A mouse could squeeze in no problem (it may be a rat, but it sounds bigger in the wall), but there's no way I can get poison in there, nor do I even know if that's where it's getting in.

I have sent four emails and called six times in the past two weeks and he has replied to one email and taken one call - never called back, so I don't know what to do. I would think the owner would want to keep the rats/mice out from the inside of his property, but he doesn't seem to care about the cats and wild animals.

What do you suggest? Would a pest controller have poison that would be safe for the cats outside?? I'm willing to pay for it myself if I need to - it's really starting to stress me out ... I hear it even when it's not there!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Can you use a piece of paper as a cone to pour the rat sack in the hole?

With other animals, it's only if they ingest it they would get sick. Cats won't usually chase a sick rat/mouse in my experience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can get a rat bait that is " non toxic" for pets and wild life ....

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would get someone in and send the real estate the bill. As long as you didn't cause the mice/rats its their (landlord/real estate) responsibility.

*we had this happen to us and after numerous phone calls etc, nothing happened and a rat died in the roof making the house unliveable with the smell!!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    A pest controller will also have baits etc that are pet friendly.

The bait that was used on our place dehydrates the rodents and they run away to find water and die.

ETA: pest controllers will also provide a guarantee... Ie. We are guaranteed to not have more for 6 months. If we do, they come back and re bait for free.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all. I can't see a cat eating the poison but I don't want to take any chances. Looks like another trip to look for something pet safe is in order.
    Is it the owners responsibility in all states? I checked our contact and it doesn't say anything. Ideally we would get someone to come out and give a guarantee. We're in a unit and the people down from its leave their bins outside, I'm sure it's partly their fault!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not sure if its all states but pest management is their responsibility in Victoria.

good luck!!! Id push it still with the agent, as soon as someone came out we noticed a different almost instantly

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CupidsVictim For This Useful Post:

angelini  (13-07-2012)

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We have the same issues here. Rats, Mice, Possums and something else or things very large running through our walls and screaming all the time. It's disgusting, all since the landlords slashed. We are mid argument with the landlords to rectify the problem. It's gross.

Tell the tenancy board. Do you use an agent or private?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Contact the tenants union in your state and they will be able to advise you on what the best action is to take.

Good luck...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the advice - I am in Victoria and will give the tenants' union a call on Monday morning and then call the agent, I'm sure they'll be much more obliging once they've heard I have spoken to someone. I'll have a look for some other animal-friendly poison this weekend in the hopes I can get rid of whatever it is asap!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to angelini For This Useful Post:

Mopeg  (13-07-2012)