+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Still have hcg 18 days post d&c

I had a d&c 18 days ago when I was just over 8 weeks pregnant. Morning sickness hung around about a week after that and then disappeared, so I was hoping that the hcg had all but gone by now.

I POAS this morning and got a relatively dark line. Dark enough that if I was still UTD I'd be thrilled. I expected to have no second line, and if anything, only the faintest of lines. So Im quite surprised its still dark :-(

Im desperately wanting to move on and try again. Is it likely the hcg will hang around much longer? Does it mean I wont get AF until the hcg is completely all gone (at zero), or can it come with a small amount of hcg?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I strongly urge you to get a blood test to get the reading of the HCG hormone to ease your mind and be sure it's coming down as it needs to. Everyone is different of course but it took me about 16 days to get down to a "not pregnant" reading after my D&C. So sorry for your loss

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It can take 6-8 weeks to return to zero. It also depends how high your count was. Have you had a scan post d& c? We found I had retained products sevenths weeks post miscarriage. Hcg had dropped from 56000 to 100 ish but not going any lower. It does take time to drop though. One week after myd&c I was back to two. You won't ovulate until icy is zero or close to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I too had a D&C after my missed miscarriage (I was 10 weeks). It took 9 weeks for me to get af. So frustrating when you want to try again.I didn't have age on my side.I was having dark BFP which is heartbreaking when you know ur not pregnant. The good news is I fell pregnant first cycle with my DD. I'm so sorry for ur loss & I hope af turns up soon for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies. I might poas again early next week and if it's still positive I'll get a bt done to check. I'm actually supposed to be seeing the ob next Thursday who carried out the d&c, to get results from testing the sac/tissues etc, so he might be able to do a quick scan to make sure everything is gone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When I saw my OB I walked in the room they were all set up to do a scan so I would not be surprised if you have to one a TV scan.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Retained products as well as something more sinister (molar pregnancy) can cause hcg to continue after a d&c. Because of the seriousness of molar pregnancies, I urge you to see a doc ASAP, you need hcg levels done as well as an ultrasound. My doctor called me three weeks after my first d&c while I was on holidays as my levels were still up. She said to get to emergency ASAP for bloods and ultrasound. So I had to leave my holiday early and head home. It was a false alarm thankfully (I think doc misread my notes), but it so easily could have not been.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi Brulee, this is something I struggled with after my m/c. I found doctors couldn't give me an accurate time frame on when hcg should be out of my system.

It's different for everyone but I was still getting bright bfp's 2 weeks later. I believe it was another 1-2wks after that it went all together.

I agree with what others have said. Get a blood test. It took forever to leave my system but I'm glad I got two lots of bloods dive to know what was going on.