The school holidays have descended - are you excited to be spending time with the kids or already wishing for school to go back? If you’re already over the holidays then read on for some suggestions to keep the kids occupied over the next 2 weeks…More...
Circus, theatre and shows
- Bigger and better than last year the Dinosaur Petting Zoo is back at the WA Museum! Dinosaur puppets are brought to life to fire the imagination and roar at you. Bookings are essential and there are only tickets left from Tuesday 10th- Sunday 22nd July - http://museum.wa.gov.au/whats-on/dinosaur-petting-zoo
- Circus Joseph Ashton is on at Cannington Greyhounds (next to Westfield Carousel) from 6th-29th July. A family run circus, this show features acrobatics, animals and entertainment! Children are $15-20 and adults are $20-30 entry – www.circusjosephashton.com.au
- Circus Royale is on at Langley Park, Perth from 5th-29th July. This 2-hour show has performing cows (!), daredevil stunts, traditional circus entertainment and international performers. Children are $15-25 and adults are $25-35 entry – www.circusroyale.com.au
- Miss Lily’s Fabulous Feather Boa is on at the Spare Parts Puppet Theatre from 9th-21st July. Suitable for 4-12 year olds this show features a dancing crocodile, koalas, wombats and a timid marsupial! Tickets are $19.50.
- This Girl Laughs, This Girl Cries, This Girl Does Nothing is on at the Subiaco Arts Centre 10th-21st July. Suitable from 6+ years this production is about three girls who choose different paths and meet again 20 years later.
- Treasure Island is on at the Leederville Town Hall from 10th-14th July. Come along dressed as a pirate! Tickets are $18.75 with under 3’s free – www.ticketmaster.com.au
There’s a few big movies out for the kids these holidays, they all seem to be animated but with the likes of Pixar and Dreamworks behind them they look to be great fun! Have you seen any of them yet?
- Ice Age 4
- Madagascar 3
- The Pirates: Band of Misfits
Some ideas for free activities during the holidays include:
Local shopping centres:
- Museums – the Shipwreck Galleries in Fremantle are full of bounty brought up from the ocean floor and the enormous anchors outside are great for a photo! The WA Museum has the dinosaurs from the Petting Zoo wandering around in between shows so keep an eye out for them while you’re looking at the frogs, learning about animals and studying meteorites!
- The Art Gallery of WA is hosting the exhibition from Picasso to Warhol with a range of child friendly activities running in conjunction across the holidays
- Fancy a walk in the hills? Have a look at these fantastic walk and cycling trails near Mundaring - http://www.mundaringtourism.com.au/walk-and-cycle.html
- Wintery weather usually means treasure of all kinds gets washed up on the beaches! Grab a bucket and a woolly hat and see what you can find at your local shore.
- Perth Airport Viewing Area - only 300 metres from the runway is a viewing area and seats so you can watch the planes land and take off (as long as they using the right runway) http://www.perthairport.com.au/About...ewingArea.aspx
- The Big Top Olympics are on 9th -21st July in Forrest Place, with the Big Top Olympians demonstrating sporting spectacles and circus tricks (with the emphasis on comedy!). Although it's free you will need a ticket and they can be collected on the day you go from 9am at the ticket marquee in Murray Street Mall. http://www.showmeperth.com.au/event/big-top-olympics
Below is a sample of school holiday activities at shopping centres across Perth - check your local to see what’s on!
- Karrinyup – Peppa Pig will be performing her show twice daily 16th-21st July and doing meet and greets near the ABC shop - http://www.karrinyupcentre.com.au/News---Events/Events/Meet-Peppa-Pig-at-Karrinyup!.aspx
- Carousel – 9th-13th July it’s the Looney Tunes Live show with Daffy, Tweety Bird and Bugs Bunny twice daily, as well as a meet and greet in Centre Court - http://www.westfield.com.au/carousel...ney-tunes-show
- Joondalup – Learn to tap with Mumble from Happy Feet Two in the first week of holidays and join in with penguin craft in the second week - http://www.lakesidejoondalup.com/en/Whats%20On/Events
- Innaloo –Get crafty with Cat in the Hat activities making your own library bag 9th-13th July - http://www.westfield.com.au/innaloo/.../June/july-she
- Midland Gate – create a winter harvest with craft as well as plant your own herbs July 9th-13th - http://www.midlandgateshopping.com.a...hool-Holidays/
Special events and Activities
- Ever wanted to ice skate outdoors? The Winter Festival is on at the Fremantle Esplanade with an enormous outdoor ice rink ready and waiting for you to glide gracefully on (wobble and land on your butt on??) http://winterfestival.com.au/category/events/fremantle/
- Perth Playground Pass - Have you got your Perth Playground Pass for the school holidays? You can make a Gundam robot for free, receive discounts off entry and food across the city including 10% off dinosaur merchandise at the WA museum, free parking for the first hour at the Cultural Centre and Roe St carparks, 25% off at Pancakes Carillon and a whole lot more! Download your pass from here - www.showmeperth.com.au/event/july-school-holidays-playground-pass
- At Scitech’s Explore-a-saurus you can meet animatronic dinosaurs, dig for fossils, learn all about dinosaur behaviour and more dino-related fun - http://www.scitech.org.au/
Out and about
Join Faerie Cara on Tuesday 17th July from 10am-12 noon at the Perth Hills Discovery Centre (near Mundaring) for a walk through beautiful hills. The cost is $16 per child / $14 members and bookings are essential on 9295 2244.
Too cold to head out?
If you're on Facebook then why not like http://www.facebook.com/365ThingsForKidsInPerth to keep up to date on family and kid-friendly activities in town and around? Wishing you all a safe (and sane) school holidays!
- Try some science experiments at home http://www.bubhub.com.au/hubbub-blog...lers-and-kids/
- Or arts and craft - http://www.bubhub.com.au/hubbub-blog...or-your-child/
- Or get cooking with some tried and tested kid-friendly recipes - http://www.bubhub.com.au/hubbub-blog...with-the-kids/
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 1 of 1
10-07-2012 00:20 #1
Blog: School Holiday Fun in Perth
Last edited by BH-tech; 17-08-2015 at 10:37. Reason: Link Update
The Following User Says Thank You to PerthMama For This Useful Post:
By BH-bubhub in forum Out & About in PerthReplies: 0Last Post: 15-06-2012, 11:30
By BH-bubhub in forum Out & About in PerthReplies: 0Last Post: 02-04-2012, 10:50
Little Kickers NSWLittle Kickers was launched in 2002 in the UK and arrived Down Under in 2009. Our motto is “Play not Push” and we ...
LATESTWhat is a blessing way? How is it different to a baby shower?7 ways to break the ‘mumnotony’ at homeGuide to government family benefit payments
POPULARWhen can I start giving chores to my children?New baby nursery checklist – a guide to newborn essentialsWhat to pack for labour and hospital – a checklist
FORUMS - chatting now ...
Help with baby names please!Choosing Baby Names
I am... #20General Chat
Would you breastfeed in public?General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
April/May TTC group chatConception & Fertility General Chat
How long would you leave your 8 (almost 9) year old at home alone?General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat