+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TimTamsandTea View Post
    Now THAT sounds like fun.
    Plans for a night out sound much more engaging than listening to birth plans.
    yes it sure is a change.

we spent last friday night in a wine bar till 2am..I have no idea how any of the women gave birth or if they breastfed..

I do know other random stuff ..but does not involve their kids ahahha

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ishtyban For This Useful Post:

TimTamsandTea  (09-07-2012)

TimTamsandTea is offline ...if only all relationships were so perfectly sweet!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm, maybe it is just the circles I'm moving in at the moment.
    Babies are just popping up left right and centre, so I get that it's an important topic. I just wish it wasn't the only topic! Ah. Glad to hear it doesn't last forever ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Maybe find some new friends?

I can't think what else I'd talk about with anyone right now. I don't absorb what I see on tv, I dont work, my most recent late night out was giving birth, I spend all day breast feeding, watching my kids learn new things I want to show off and making parenting decisions. So that's all I can talk about other than "fine weather we're having" and "gee those road works are annoying!"

Maybe join hobby groups or something? I have no idea how to make friends that aren't "mummy friends".

Though it was funny when I was pregnant being a walking magnet for horror birth stories. Though I took them on board as cautionary tales! (Second baby I guess people don't sugar coat for you)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub
    Last edited by Boobycino; 09-07-2012 at 22:16.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Alphabetsoup  (10-07-2012),JJZK  (10-07-2012),TimTamsandTea  (09-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm.
    I don't dislike my current friends or aquaintances. I have no need to find new ones.
    I guess I'd just like to go to a bbq/party/wedding/coffee date and walk away knowing something else about the women in my life that doesn't involve their birth or parenting philosophy.
    Last edited by TimTamsandTea; 09-07-2012 at 23:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    why dont you change it honey?
    invite them all out to dinner..and say..

we need time to chat about ourselves and spend an hour or more being women again.. not just mums

it does work..and wine works wonders lol.

we started out at a dinner and talked about how we met partners...then went on to our younger days..lol..

it changed so much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishtyban View Post
    why dont you change it honey?
    invite them all out to dinner..and say..

we need time to chat about ourselves and spend an hour or more being women again..

it does work..and wine works wonders lol.

we started out at a dinner and talked about how we met partners...then went on to our younger days..lol..

it changed so much.
    I like this idea VERY MUCH!
    Off to word an email invitation right now ...
    Thank you!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TimTamsandTea For This Useful Post:

Ishtyban  (09-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our playgroup is great. Yes we talk about parenting issues (obviously). But we have become quite close and talk about everything! We also have girls nights out - rule strictly no baby talk hehe. Maybe look at some other playgroups in your area. It can be great! Don't know what I would do without mine! Has been a massive support!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Momkey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I go to 2 structured playgroups with DS. One is with Early Childhood Intervention where we don't really talk to one another as we're too focused on our children.

The other is with UnitingCare Burnside. It's a playgroup for disadvantaged parents and children. Some girls get along well enough to hang out outside playgroup, but because we all have our own reasons for being there, we just talk about our kids mainly. Especially now that I am a mentor there.

What I have done now is I set up a Facebook group for mums in our local area. I setup regular playdates with our kids and recently have started to organize a "mums night out".
    We try to do this once every 2 months and we just have dinner at the pub and then move onto something else from there on.
    It's great as I now consider a lot of them to be good friends. Some are married, some are single, some are late teens, some are early 40's, we all get along well.

Oh and DS's daycare (a local former ABC center) sets up a parents night out every 3 months too and it's very popular among mums and some dads too.
    You get to know the parents of the other kids in your child's room and it sometimes can shed some light on to why a certain child acts the way they do when in care.
    Like my son has sensory processing disorder and global developmental delays. He can get super hyper active sometimes and unintentionally knock over/hurt a child while he's running around. Now that some parents know why and that it is purely accidental, they have become more accepting and understanding towards DS.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Misschief For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TimTamsandTea View Post
    Oh for the love of god, please tell me it ends?

Please tell me that the topic of my neighbour's episiotomy is replaced with something a little less ... medical.

Please tell me that I don't forever have to participate in the poll: How long did you breastfeed your child/ren for?

Please tell me that other mummies will one day want to know my name and what music I like more than they want to know whether or not I slept alongside/smacked/vaccinated my young children.

Please tell me that mummies stop asking their offspring to perform for other mummys and I no longer have to stand and watch the responses to the question: Now show mummy how you ....

Please tell me that the topic of birth and parenting will eventually be discussed in addition to and not to the exclusion of other interesting or important topics.

For once, I'd love to go out and chat with other women without the birthing or parenting stuff dominating conversation. How your child is birthed, how you feed your child and how you raise your child is important to you and those in your life that have a vested interest in you and your child. Why is there the assumption that anyone outside of this circle has the right to know or is interested?

Gah!

Rant over.
    Oh god I'm not the only one!!!
    I'm pregnant with my first and already over the talks people don't ask me how I am any more they say "soo how's baby doing?" that is usually followed by the dreaded belly rub....
    Grrrrrrrrrrr!! Lol sorry just adding to the rant

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Koberose For This Useful Post:

Mod-Myztik is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    My April Fools baby
    Winner 2009- Biggest Post-Awards Whinger
    Winner 2010- Biggest Computer Nerd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    My group of friends (all met through play group and school) go out once a month for a girls night and really let loose. I was saying to one of them the how day how we aren't all just friends because of the kids. We talk about anything and everything!

It does get better hope the dinner invites are a success!