+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think some people do fall into addiction more easily than others and go from one to another. But I think that once they are aware of this, they can guard against it and arm themselves with tools to beat addiction (finding the right psychologist is gold). The path to freedom from addiction may be harder, but it is still possible.

And there are some people who have a particular vulnerability and struggle with one addictive behaviour only.

I have seen people who fall into both categories. From my experience, finding a good psychologist who can help someone deal with their underlying issues and then give them tools for change makes a big difference to long term success.

I believe no one is beyond hope, and positive change is always possible as long as the person concerned truly wants it.

Gosh, sorry that was a bit longer than I meant to comment. I am no expert at all, that's just my observations from my experience with certain loved ones.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (09-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was once an addict and I can agree that there is that feeling of want. I have slipped, but I picked myself up again.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kimnus For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (09-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Ew yeah, smoking is something I have noooo desire for whatsoever AnaGram even though I was a heavy smoker for years.

And I agree Miss Muppet. I do wonder if it ever truly goes away though, do people ever stop having to fight it?

Good on you Kimnus and Theophania

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

Theophania  (09-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    awww, please no rolly eyes in this thread

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    I believe that when god does give someone strength to deal with an addiction, it's still up to the individual to interpret what lessons they are given. So really, even then it's not just about god healing them, it's about the individual healing themselves.

I also believe that many people fight addictions without god. It is not always a question of faith to deal with addiction.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Izy For This Useful Post:

beebs  (10-07-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (09-07-2012),ShanandBoc  (09-07-2012),share a book  (09-07-2012)

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    It's depends what you mean by 'cured'

I like what Izy said about it being like cancer.

I think people who battle addiction are trying to escape from their reality.

I think if you work out what you are trying to escape from & why, then you have a pretty good chance of beating it for good.

I battled addiction for many years. Swopped behaviours. Went into 'remission', relapsed, swopped etc etc.

Even now, 6 years later, I still get 'urges' but the urges lasts for seconds now (insted of days) and I don't argue with myself anymore. It's hard to explain. I don't argue pros and cons and decided i will, i wont, i will.. i wont & resist. I get the urge, know it's not an option, & go on with my day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Izy View Post
    I believe that when god does give someone strength to deal with an addiction, it's still up to the individual to interpret what lessons they are given. So really, even then it's not just about god healing them, it's about the individual healing themselves.

I also believe that many people fight addictions without god. It is not always a question of faith to deal with addiction.
    Agree. Completely

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSudgestionator View Post
    It's depends what you mean by 'cured'

I like what Izy said about it being like cancer.

I think people who battle addiction are trying to escape from their reality.

I think if you work out what you are trying to escape from & why, then you have a pretty good chance of beating it for good.

I battled addiction for many years. Swopped behaviours. Went into 'remission', relapsed, swopped etc etc.

Even now, 6 years later, I still get 'urges' but the urges lasts for seconds now (insted of days) and I don't argue with myself anymore. It's hard to explain. I don't argue pros and cons and decided i will, i wont, i will.. i wont & resist. I get the urge, know it's not an option, & go on with my day.
    *nods. It just sucks that it's always there.

Guest Guest
    I don't know if cured is the word, I think you can go the rest of your life never picking up the same addiction, but you always have to be mindful of it and you always have to fight not to fall into the same patterns of behaviour. It'll never go away because I believe once your brain has learnt something, it never forgets no matter what you do. It's like smoking, I quit for years and then I smoked a few, by day 3 it's like I never quit. Then I quit again and haven't smoked in years, but I know now how easy is it to fall back into it. I don't crave it, ever, but I don't say to myself 1 or 2 won't hurt, I'll never get addicted again. Because I learnt I will. Easily.
    I have an addictive personality also so I think I easily fall into habits and addictions. I'm always mindful, before you ever get addicted to something you think you will never be an addict and your not doing any harm. But an addict knows that's not true and has to fight those thoughts.

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree with lily of the nile. This is my understanding of addictions. I have never been addicted to anything, but from my expierences through family members and stories I have read, this sums it up totally. To go further to the addictive personality, I think there can be some "genetic" predisposition to addictive behaviours. Alcoholism can 'run' in families. and also gambleing, the arguement of "Nature vs Nuture" can be also involved in the discusion. Marie.