+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Question Maternity hotels....

My cousin and his girlfriend are having their first bub in September. They live in The Netherlands.
    We had a very interesting chat on the phone right now.

The Netherlands used to be the world leader in home births. They were incredibly popular over there and considered the normal thing to do.
    Though it seems to have changed over the last few years. My cousin told me that laws have changed and become more strict about who can give birth at home (they're looking at risk factors and if a child is at danger, the parent can no longer go against advice and birth at home).

There is a now a popular new phenomenon called a "kraamhotel" or translated in English it's a "birthing/maternity hotel".
    It's like a motel room with a bathroom and spa bath, kitchen, a bed for mum and a bed for dad, a loungeroom area, etc. So it looks and feels like a home BUT it is attached to the maternity ward at the hospital.
    If something goes wrong during the birth, mum gets put on a stretcher and raced through the corridor to have an emergency cesarean in theater.

Seeing as the Australian government is making it harder and harder for us mums (to be) to experience a home birth, would this be a compromise you would be willing to make in order to still have a relaxing/calm birth in a homely environment, instead of bright lights in a birthing room?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It sounds a lot like a birth centre to me.
    I think it sounds great and I would absolutely use it. I bet you will find that a lot of passionate home birthers on here won't share my view.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

Misschief  (07-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    It sounds a lot like a birth centre to me.
    I think it sounds great and I would absolutely use it. I bet you will find that a lot of passionate home birthers on here won't share my view.
    I agree

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Misschief  (07-07-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yeah it sounds like a birth center (only fancier) there is more to homebirth than the decor

7. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Misschief  (07-07-2012)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Isn't one of the big ideas behind homebirth that you are in a familiar and comfortable place? you could birth in the Taj Mahal and it wouldn't be close to homebirthing.
    Even the birth suites at the public hospital I went to were more like a hotel room than a hospital room, so i don't see much difference.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Misschief  (07-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh I am sure plenty of people still wont be happy with it, however the government will do whatever it wants regardless of what the people want. If they insist that home birthing is going to be made illegal because they believe they are acting in the best interest of all Aussie mums, than you're not going to stop them and this would be a good alternative.
    Unless people want to do it illegally, but that might mean that if anything goes wrong, they might not be able to go to hospital for help.

I do not know anything about birthing centers as up here you either birth at home or at the maternity ward. There are no other alternatives like birthing centers.
    The way his girlfriend and him were describing it, it sounded really nice and cozy and if we had such a facility available here, I would definitely choose it over hospital or home birth (regardless if home birth was made illegal or not).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Isn't one of the big ideas behind homebirth that you are in a familiar and comfortable place? you could birth in the Taj Mahal and it wouldn't be close to homebirthing.
    Even the birth suites at the public hospital I went to were more like a hotel room than a hospital room, so i don't see much difference.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub
    The birthing suites in our hospital are rubbish. White sterile rooms with a bathroom and spa bath. That's it

I know it wouldn't be the same as birthing in your own house. I was more thinking about the people who want to birth at home because they don't want bubs to come out of a cozy, dark place and dumped into this brightly lit room and freaking out.

Either way, if the government is going to ban home birthing (I hope not), would you insist on doing it illegally, choose to go to a hospital or go to a birth center/ or above mentioned "maternity hotel"?

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post
    The birthing suites in our hospital are rubbish. White sterile rooms with a bathroom and spa bath. That's it

I know it wouldn't be the same as birthing in your own house. I was more thinking about the people who want to birth at home because they don't want bubs to come out of a cozy, dark place and dumped into this brightly lit room and freaking out.

Either way, if the government is going to ban home birthing (I hope not), would you insist on doing it illegally, choose to go to a hospital or go to a birth center/ or above mentioned "maternity hotel"?
    Gathering we are talking about low risk birth here given you dont have the option to use these facilities if your high risk..I'd birth illegally or I'd travel to where it wasnt illegal before setting foot in a maternity hotel, birth center or hospital.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Misschief  (07-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I like the idea, there is no birth centre in my area, closest is about an hour away (Sydney - which dependent on time of day could be stuck in traffic jams!). This sounds like a birth centre I guess as a PP said so I would use it definitely.