+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I demand fed both my babies. It was just natural for me. One slept through at 4 months, the other 18 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Before I had DS, I expected babies slept through by the time they were 6 months old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm actually on the flip side. I expected them to sleep most of the day and wake often at night.

DD was not a good day sleeper but was relatively good of a night.
    So getting up to her of a night was no issue for me but felt I was doing something wrong thru the day as she was not sleeping much then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    With DS1, I really had no idea. I was the first of my friends/siblings to have a baby. He didn't sleep through (9pm till 8am) until he was 21 months old. He occasionally wakes at night still if he gets cold, but otherwise he sleeps through.

With DS2, I knew what to expect. He is 4 weeks old and wakes 3 to 4 times a night and is difficult to settle. I expected he would only cat nap during the day like DS1, but he sleeps good 2 to 3 hour blocks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Are you talking about my family? Sounds similar including the aunt with the twins lol. I expected I guess to be up at night several times for at least the first year. I never expected every hour or less .

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I laugh when I think about what I thought about how babies slept.

I expected that unless there was a reason bub wouldn't sleep (colic, reflux, colds, teething), that a baby would easily go to sleep.
    I thought that after about 6-8 weeks they would sleep through (both my sister and I did).
    I thought that all babies loved to sleep.
    I thought that my baby would easily sleep in her cot - no problems.
    I thought she could be read/sung to sleep.

In reality - DD wakes between 2-8 times a night (she's almost 9 months). She doesn't like sleeping alone in her cot. Until recently, she would not nap past 45 minutes. Some nights it can take forever to get her to sleep and needs to be fed/patted to sleep, although I must admit that she is starting to self settle (yahoo!). Reading or singing to her stimulates her and she can't go to sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I prepared myself for 2 hourly feeds. and heard lots of people say that babies suck for comfort and love to bed share and was the only way to settle them.

What I didn't prepare for was that my DS does not suck for comfort most of the time and doesn't sleep better with me. He only feeds to feed LOL.

He is only 12 weeks old, but the only way he will have a good nap or sleep is if he is double swaddled with white noise in his cot, side sleeping and has his mantra cry to settle himself to sleep taking only 5 minutes. If I try to settle him myself it gets him worked up and takes longer to settle taking over an hour! I was prepared to rock, feed, bounce him or whatever was needed, but it just meant he had a bad sleep.

He will sleep on me in the wrap carrier but again only for a maximum 45 minutes. Whereas he naps 1.5-3 hours in the cot and sleeps well at night with only 2 night feeds.

Go figure!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I kept hearing people tell me how hard the first year is so I didn't expect my DD to sleep through till after 12 months.

In reality my DD slept through from 7:30 till 6:30 from 3 months old. Before then the most she would wake was 3-4 hourly. She was fully BF (although I weaned last week at 11mths). I think she just likes sleep. Apparently both my DH and I were good sleepers as babies so not sure if she gets it from us.

I am about t start TTC #2. I expect the next baby won't sleep so well but we will just deal with that if and when the time comes.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    having worked in child care and seeing zombified parents of 4 year olds walk into the kinder room I knew what i could be in for BUT I did believe (and still do) that MOST babies won't NEED a night feed after 6 months. Most. So once DS was that age I didn't offer him a feed at night any more. If I had really thought he was hungry i would have offered it, but seeing as he'd slept through from 10 weeks to 5.5 months I knew he could go without it. He slept through pretty routinely from about 1. Between 6 months and 1 he would be patted back to sleep, though he was only waking maybe every third night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I expected:
    - Feeding every 2-3 hours including overnight
    - Needing to be rocked/cuddled to sleep
    - Lots of crying and being difficult to settle

I got:
    - Initially feeding every 3ish hours during the day and now at 11 weeks going up to 5 hours
    - Initially waking twice overnight for feeds, then dropping to once on his own after a couple of weeks
    - Refusing to let me cuddle him to sleep, instead preferring to do it on his own
    - Rarely crying without a reason (hungry, poopy, etc)

Though now that I have written it down I'm sure the universe will take away my baby's awesomeness lol.