+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Red face Casually employed for 6 months, but want to have another baby..

Okay, so I started an amazing job at the start of this year, as my son was about 17 months old and I needed to get back into work. It's so close to home, good pay and good hours. I'm so lucky to have landed myself this job!
    I'm employed as a casual worker, but I consistently work 30+ hours per week.
    My son is now almost 2 and my partner and I would love to have another child. We are really excited, but the main thing is, I 100% want to keep my job. It's so convenient for me and it just fits perfectly in with my life.

I've been reading about unfair dismissal, and I don't really think my employers would let me go, but I just want to cover myself so I know I have a secure job to go back to.
    So anyway, it says because I'm casual, I have to work consistently with my job for 12 months.

My question is, because I've only been employed with them for 6 months, if i were to get pregnant now, by the time the baby is here, I would have been employed with them for a year and a half.
    Does that count as being employed for 12 months? Therefore me being entitled to unpaid parental leave..?
    Or do I need to be employed for 12 months before I fall pregnant?

Thanks guys

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's just 12 months in general I'm pretty sure.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes that counts.. You could get pregnant now and take mat leave in 6 months

To cover your butt just also make sure you give them plenty of written notice of when you take leave and when you plan to return

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    You will need to check your employment contract and the award/agreement u are under (you can then ring wageline and get advice) to check your entitlements. As a casual employee - regardless of your hours worked per week and duration of employment, you are held under slightly different conditions than part time or full timers.

It sounds like u have a great employer, but make sure u cover yourself and check this out well ahead of time - not that it sounds like they will do it, but unfair dismissal for casual employees is extremely difficult to prove because of the nature of your employment -casual employees are there in normal circumstances, to 'fill gaps' in the workforce and your employer may only need to give u a days notice to sack you - stating that you are no longer needed due to workforce and organizational requirements.

They may also not be 'made' to hold your job for you. Check it out first

Good luck

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Squishy115 For This Useful Post:

jaymeeleyana  (06-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    as a casual worker your boss has no obligation to hold your position for you yes they may if they choose to however they are within their rights not to

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    As the others have said I don't think your employers are obliged to give you your job back after maternity leave as you are casual. Being employed casually means they can change your hours with little notice and give you very little notice that you are no longer required. You are paid more than someone who is part time or full time as you are not entitled to sick leave, annual leave or long service leave (usually). It sucks if you are really working part time hours but without the benefits.

The good news is that you might have a job to go back to, it depends on your employer. I got a casual job when I was 22 weeks pregnant and I stopped at 30 weeks pregnant. They needed someone to fill some unexpected gaps in the workplace and were more than happy to have me. Then, again, gaps needed filling and I returned to work 5 months after my dd arrived and even got a permanent part time role with them from that time! So, although I didn't get any paid maternity leave, etc, it all worked out ok in the end. AND, as I was self-employed as well during my whole pregnancy, I got the paid parental leave pay from the government which was fantastic!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

jaymeeleyana  (06-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks a lot guys! I spoke with my works accountant and she got on the phone to work safe/fair work Australia.
    Bit confusing, but they said that as long as I have worked 330 hours in 10 months, then I am eligible for up to 12 months unpaid maternity leave - Also making me eligible for the 18 weeks of paid parental leave.

So I'll be able to take the 18 weeks paid parental leave, and then however many weeks after that of unpaid leave!

Yay! Such good news, and I'm very excited to extend my little family