+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Acupuncture benefits for IVF fertility

I thought I could share with you this article that I found today ...
    The article can be found on this website :
    http://www.adelaide.edu.au/news/news11641.html

Acupuncture benefits for IVF fertility
    Wednesday, 3 May 2006

Fertility rates during embryo transfer can be doubled with the use of acupuncture, a new study has found. The latest University of Adelaide trial contributes to a small but growing body of research that suggests acupuncture may help with improving pregnancy outcomes for people undergoing IVF treatment.

Dr Caroline Smith, who conducted the first single blind and controlled randomised acupuncture trial in the University of Adelaide fertility clinic Repromed, said: "Our study showed encouraging results with an increase in the pregnancy rate in the acupuncture group (31% versus 23% in the control group) among women having an embryo transfer."

This benefit was smaller than expected and did not differ statistically between the acupuncture and control groups. But when the study of 228 women was combined with the findings from three other acupuncture trials, involving a total of just under 800 women, the results clearly showed a pregnancy was twice as likely to occur in the acupuncture group compared to the control group.

"The good news of the acupuncture use in fertility therapy is the benefit is not affected by age, meaning all age groups showed the increase in IVF success rates from the acupuncture therapy," said Dr Smith.

Acupuncture is safe and no adverse effects were reported. Dr Smith said there were some research questions still to be answered and a larger study was required to confirm these findings and address outstanding questions.

"The important distinction between this acupuncture study and any previous studies is the very good research model used to develop the study design that addressed a major source of bias seen in previous studies known as the 'placebo effect'. We removed this source of bias by using the placebo acupuncture needle or a 'sham' needle."

Many women have turned to complementary medicine in the hope of reversing or at least ceasing their natural decline in fertility. Acupuncture therapy has shown to increase the blood circulation to the ovaries and uterus and hence increase the capacity for conception.

This indicative result is very good news for women who want to use acupuncture during embryo transfer to increase their pregnancy success rates. Dr Caroline Smith believes this warrants a further exploration of the clinical benefits the current studies present.

This research is published in Fertility and Sterility this month.

Good luck everyone and take care .

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thank You

Hey Beatrice,

Thanks so much for posting this. As you know I have given the IVF a miss for a few months and are doing accupucture and also the chinese herbs. My practioner is soooooo confident that we are going to acheive a pregnancy with IVF by working with her which is a great environment to be in! She claims to have a 90% success rate with her patients.
    I often wonder if she made the difference last time after my ET and would be really interesting to see how many eggs I would get if I have to do IVF again.
    She came onto the scene for me a couple of days before my EPU last cycle.
    Wonder what results I would get if she was there from the start of the stimulation part!??????

Was great to read! I still think there is sooooo much more for the doctors to learn about IVF.

I can't believe your nearly there. You must be getting sooo excited.
    Thanks you again

Jbearsmum xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    jbearsmum : glad you liked it ...

Yes , Doctors should be more often opened to " other parallel treatments " ... but that's a LONG LONG process !!!!

I know that lots of women starting IVF , got themselves prepared with acupuncture before starting the treatment ...

Keep going strong ... it will worth it hun

Take care .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Great article Beatrice!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm really lucky to be able to see Caroline Smith. She's a really wonderful woman on many levels.

I'd never tried acupunture before but have found it to be a really positive experience, though the needles that she puts in my feet itch like anything each time. Caroline says that its all good Chi so I'm happy with that.

I'm also into meditation a fair bit and I think it does help. Even if it's only to give the brain a bit of a break from the constant thoughts about IVF. There's heaps of different ways to meditate and I think that you've got to try a few before you find the method that works and fits best for you.

Thanks for sharing the info about acupuncture Beatrice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    hello beatrice and ladies thank you for that and i all ready haveing acupuncture dose it say when you should started the acupuncture just before the embryos transfer or should it take place a couple of weeks before xxx jo-anne

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your welcome ladies ... glad you found acupuncture to help you to go through IVF ....

Take care ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone,

Just a quick note to give my big tick to acupuncture...after two failed cycles we had it on our third and we are now 5 wks pregnant. I really think acupuncture helped us cope with the side effects of the hormones and also to help the embryo to stick by increasing chi and stimulation. My acupuncturist knew we were pregnant even before we did!

Thanks
    Reviews
    supamumma: well done ... congratulations !!!

Thank you for sharing this wonderful news ....

Take care and look after your Little One ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi im doing my first round of IVF at the moment and decided to give acupuncture a go.
    I find it really useful in decreasing my stress levels. The acupuncturist seems very knowledgeable about medical conditions and is very supportive. Its like seeing a counsellor each time i go which is great.

I have been doing the acupuncture (which doesnt hurt) every week for the last 4 weeks leading up to my ivf and will do it before and after the embryo transfer aswell as fortnightly after that.

It gives me a positive feeling and someone to share my concerns with.

Ill let you know how i go, wish me luck!