+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 1st Round of Clomid and did not ovulate.

I'm 26, DH is also 26. We've been ttc for baby #1 for a year now!

After 12months of ttc, last month I was diagnosed with PCOS. June was our first month trying with the assistance of Clomid. After a 42 day cycle I was finaly able to start. I got a positive ovulation test on day 14. 2 lines with the test slightly darker than the other.

I've been experiencing what I thought were pregnancy symptoms such as headaches, back aches, unstable tummy and cramps. Cramping started about Wed last week so I didn't supose they'd be period cramps. This morning I did a pregnancy test and it was very much negative. I survived the day convincing myself that I had just tested too early.

This afternoon I got my results from day 21 blood tests and Doc said it didn't indicate that I had ovulated at all. So the possibility that I am now pregnant is close to zilch. Doc said to up the dosage of clomid this month to 100mg. She said to take progesterone if period doesn't come. How long should I wait. As I have no idea where my cycle is up to due to PCOS, but going by a 28 day cycle it would be due on Friday. Shall I wait till Monday to start the progesterone?

Every month is getting harder. I'm studying early childcare and the centre I did my prac with has repetatively asked me to come back to help. I love working with kids but it's especially dificult when we're having so much trouble having our own. How do people cope??? It's getting harder and harder for me.

So my 3 questions are;

A) Why would an OPK test come up positive when my bloods indicate I didn't ovulate?

B) Hopefuly my period comes Friday or over the weekend, but if it doesn't when should I start taking the progesterone?

C) How do others cope??? The negative preg tests are getting harder and harder to bare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was TTC for 2.5 years before I fell pregnant finally. I had cycles from 40 days to 200+ days. I sought help after 2 years of TTC, it would have been earlier but I thought I'd wait for help until after our wedding (but still TTC naturally during that time).

My first round of clomid failed, and I also had a UTI at the end of that 36 day cycle. I was advised not to take clomid on the 2nd cycle due to the antibiotics I was on. In the 2nd cycle (no hormone tablets), I took a pregnancy test on CD 39 which was negative, so I started the progesterone (porvera) for the 3rd cycle to start, but AF never came. I found out I was pregnant a couple of weeks later. My dating scan put ovulation at CD 39.

When I was at the doctors he told me when to take clomid, to DTD on CD 14, blood test CD 21, then wait for CD 36 before giving up and taking the progesterone for the next cycle. If I had listened to him and only DTD around CD 14, I wouldnt have fallen pregnant, my blood test also would have shown no ovulation. I really wanted to get AF by myself, but couldnt wait very long past CD 36, thats why I gave up on CD 39.

Not sure if it was luck (of DTD on the right days), or the clomid/progesterone in the cycle before, boosting my hormones, or maybe even taking the progesterone on O day that made me fall pregnant. I guess I will never know.

A) Why would an OPK test come up positive when my bloods indicate I didn't ovulate?

I have heard that OPK's dont work properly with people with PCOS. I could never get a positive, but because I had such long cycles, I gave up testing quite early in the cycle. Also a positive on CD 14, means you ovulated on CD 15:
    How do Ovulation Prediction Kits (OPKs) work?

Ovulation Prediction Kits have become quite popular and can be quite useful to help you find your fertile time. OPKs work by measuring the presence of Luteinizing Hormone (LH) in your urine. A surge of LH which is sent to your ovary causes your ovary to produce enzymes which in turn causes the dominant follicle to rupture and release the egg into the Fallopian tube. This is ovulation and it is expected to occur within 24 hours of the surge of LH. An OPK is thus expected to be positive the day before you ovulate.

So not sure how the 21 day blood test works, but perhaps it assumes ovulation on CD 14, and doesnt work if you ovulate on CD 15? Or as the above post says, maybe you didnt ovulate properly? You had the surge but it didnt release the egg?

B) Hopefuly my period comes Friday or over the weekend, but if it doesn't when should I start taking the progesterone?

As above, I was told to wait until CD36 to start the progesterone.

C) How do others cope??? The negative preg tests are getting harder and harder to bare.

It was really hard TTC for so long. By the end I would get a BFN, allow myself to grieve for a couple of days (still getting BFN), and then I would actually let go of that cycle and look forward to the next one starting. In the cycle I fell pregnant, I had actually given up by the end of it, I just wanted it to be over and to get AF so I would start the next cycle and round of clomid already.
    ETA: On CD 1 of each cycle, instead of being sad, I used to look up my EDD if I fell pregnant that cycle. LOL so silly, but it helped me focus on the cycle ahead, rather than focusing on the previous cycle. Find what works for you.

Chin up, keep trying . Good luck and Sticky Baby Dust
    Last edited by LoveHeart; 03-07-2012 at 11:59.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveHeart For This Useful Post:

NessieJ  (03-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If I were you I'd ask to go straight to FSH injections... That way you are guaranteed to ovulate. I wasted 4 months on clomid, didn't work once. Having said that it is cheap and easy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If I were you I'd ask to go straight to FSH injections... That way you are guaranteed to ovulate. I wasted 4 months on clomid, didn't work once. Having said that it is cheap and easy.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleDove For This Useful Post:

NessieJ  (05-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks LittleDove. I may ask about them if this round on 100mg doesnt work. What does it entail? How many injections do you have to have? Did you have success both ovulating and conceiving with the injections?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleDove View Post

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am literally on my first round of injections but yes it does guarantee ovulation, I ovulated yesterday (yay) so now got to wait 2 weeks til I can poas. It does involve self injecting each day and more blood tests, but the needles are not a big deal, and that's coming from someone who used to have a massive needle phobia. Cost wise it's about $1200 per cycle but you get about $600 back from Medicare

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just an update and whinge....

Last cycle lasted 50days!!!! Day 37 - 47 I took privolut. Yesterday my period finaly came so today I started my second round of clomid but on 100mg this time.

Tomorow will bring it to 14months of trying. we don't make it to 15.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi NessieJ. My FS does a scan on day 12 to see if thete are any large follicles, then I opted for a trigger shot on day 13 and ovulated 2 days later. Could you ask about the trigger?

Also, are you temping? It's the only way I know I've ovulated as opks were not working for me. A side effect of PCOS in some people is LH higher than FSH which will definitely throw out the opk results.

Let us know how you go on 100mg. Did you show follicles on 50mg?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ainsleyp For This Useful Post:

NessieJ  (01-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last cycle my Gyno called to let me know the results and she didn't give me much information, she just said that there was no indication I had ovulated and to try next cycle on 100mg. If things don't go to plan this cycle, I will be asking for a more in depth explanation. Also if it doesn't happen this cycle (which we so hope it does) I will ask about the trigger.

I havn't been doing my temps, but may start to now that I've worked out the tests don't work for me. Thanks for all the advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NessieJ View Post
    Last cycle my Gyno called to let me know the results and she didn't give me much information, she just said that there was no indication I had ovulated and to try next cycle on 100mg. If things don't go to plan this cycle, I will be asking for a more in depth explanation. Also if it doesn't happen this cycle (which we so hope it does) I will ask about the trigger.

I havn't been doing my temps, but may start to now that I've worked out the tests don't work for me. Thanks for all the advice.
    NessieJ, I know everyone is different and I've already harped on about this in the PCOS thread, but just because you're not ovulating doesn't mean you're not growing a follicle. You may just need a trigger to ensure you ovulate. Clomid is not without it's downsides, so only increase the dose if you must.