My 9 day old bub keeps choking whilst I give him his bottles : ( I have tried the slowest teat with avent and it's still too fast. Was wondering if anyone can recommend a super slow flowing teet? : )
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
01-07-2012 07:46 #1
Choking bubs : (
01-07-2012 11:36 #2
Can't help, but hopefully with a little bump someone else can
The Following User Says Thank You to tatia&shura For This Useful Post:
01-07-2012 11:37 #3
Tommie tippee closer to nature are really slow flowing.
01-07-2012 12:01 #4
Try lying bub on the side to feed, as if breast feeding- this is often used for premmie babies that can't cope with the fast flow, as they can better control the speed of the milk coming out. Google images search "side lying feeding" and there should be some pics- most are of breast feeding, but there are a couple with bottles that will give you an idea of what I'm talking about. Good luck!
01-07-2012 12:12 #5Senior Member
- Join Date
- Nov 2010
Try pacing the feeds more:
there is info on the aba site on how to pace bottlefeeds (it takes about ebm but same if you are using abm)
How to pace feeds
- Watch for signs that the baby is hungry rather than feeding to a time schedule. The baby will get restless and may start sucking his fingers or moving his head on your chest when you pick him up. If he is past this stage, he may be crying and not stop when you comfort him.
- Hold the baby in an upright position. This stops him taking too much milk at the start of the feed. Support the baby's head and neck with your hand rather than with your arm.
- Use a slow-flow teat.
- Gently brush the teat down the middle of the baby's lips, particularly the bottom lip. This helps the baby to open his mouth wide, allowing you to place the whole teat into his mouth, like he would if he was breastfeeding. Do not push the teat into the baby's mouth. Let him take it himself.
- Tip the bottom of the bottle up just far enough for the EBM to fill the teat. As the feed goes on, you will need to let the baby gradually lean backwards more and more so that the teat stays filled with EBM. Keep the baby's head and neck lined up. At the end of the feed the bottle will be almost vertical.
- Let the baby have rests every few minutes to make it more like a breastfeed. This will help stop the baby drinking too much too fast.
- Allow the baby to decide when to finish the feed. He may not need to drink all the EBM in the bottle. It is better to do this than to worry about wasting a small amount of EBM.
01-07-2012 12:25 #6Senior Member
- Join Date
- Oct 2011
The hospital recommended the Pigeon slow teat (available from Chemists). It was VERY slow. Too slow for my LO.
My DD uses the Tommee Tippee closer to nature teats now we are home.
28-07-2012 23:12 #7Member
- Join Date
- Jun 2012
My hospital told me to buy any bottle but the avent one for that reason with a newborn. Hope that helps x
By Susan Mac in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & ChatReplies: 3Last Post: 27-11-2012, 14:12
By Cue in forum Weaning & Starting solidsReplies: 4Last Post: 21-02-2012, 08:16
By Etienne in forum Breastfeeding SupportReplies: 4Last Post: 21-12-2011, 13:02
The MAMA CentrePregnancy, birth & beyond care with your very own midwife. Home & hospital birth support, VBACs, antenatal & postnatal ...
LATESTWhy it is OK for your child to be differentWhat is a blessing way? How is it different to a baby shower?7 ways to break the ‘mumnotony’ at home
POPULARWhen can I start giving chores to my children?New baby nursery checklist – a guide to newborn essentialsWhat to pack for labour and hospital – a checklist
FORUMS - chatting now ...
IVF babies due Sep/Oct/Nov 2017pregnancy and babies through IVF
Pregnancy test recall!!!Conception & Fertility General Chat
IUI - first time fertility treatmentNon-IVF fertility assistance
IVF babies due June/July/August 2017pregnancy and babies through IVF
Lite & Easy ???Second Trimester Chat
A - Z of baby girl namesGames & fun stuff
Happiness thread.General Chat
A - Z of Baby Boy NamesGames & fun stuff