ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Looking for ideas for upcoming house guests...?

Okay - my SIL and her family are coming to stay with us for 5 days. They have a 14 year old and nearly 1 year old sons. We have a 3 bedroom house & there's already 4 of us. I was thinking about rearranging the rooms so that jaspers double bed & the spare single are in one room and move katelyns drawers into jaspers room, put katelyns mattress on the floor in jaspers room for jasper and bring katelyns bassinet upstairs to our room. Then put the portacot in the spare room for thier baby.

Though - is that rude/inappropriate/unrealistic To expect a 14 year old, 1 year old & parents to share a room? because otherwise I will literally end up with my whole family in one bed for 5 night's = no sleep for me. And having to go into the rooms they are sleeping in to get my kids clothes. Because it's not like I can just grab all the clothes, pjs, nappies etc plus jaspers toys. etc out of "their" rooms.

Also - I need some quick, easy, cheap, tasty and easily bulked up recipes for feeding 4 adults, a teenager, a 1 year old & a preschooler, while I have a nearly-newborn as well (not to feed, but meals that aren't too complicated because I have her to consider) Also lunches?!? me and jasper usually grab whatever is left over or a sandwich but with 4 extra mouths to feed I'm going to need to plan lunches?!?

....also..... if I wind up feeding everyone.... would it be reasonable to ask for a contribution? my SIL sort of invited herself, and thats fine, but it's occurred to me this isnt going to be cheap! plus my DF will want to buy a case of beer, wine, treats because thats how he is. And in his family expected. Any ideas on how to cater inexpensively?!?!

SIL also wants to do the theme parks (we are on gc) and I'm kinda not that keen because I can't afford it. I have a voucher for the wildlife park, adults at children's prices & children free, which Im going to suggest. But is a wildlife park not cool enough for a 14 year old?!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub
    Last edited by Boobycino; 29-06-2012 at 09:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    oh & my oven is broken. haha. otherwise I could be baking and freezing snacks in preparation :-/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Is it possible to have the 1 yr old In your room.keep your son in his room and let them stay in 2 rooms?
    I would do whatever your comfortable with if they wanted space they should have gotten a hotel room

Dinner ideas
    Corned beef with cauliflower
    Chicken mushroom risotto
    Sausages and mash
    A stew
    Spaghetti with jar sauce
    home made sausage rolls
    Lunches
    Stick to sandwiches freeze a few loaves of bread Vegemite. Cheese,

Eta
    They can do the themeparks you shouldn't feel pressured to go aswell

Thanks
    Reviews
    oh yeah, jasper could sleep on the floor in our room. I might move my kids drawers into the landing at the top of the stairs & then they can have their "own" rooms.

They suggested the 14 year old sleep on the couch but I do still get up sometimes with night feeds and I like that time of night with my baby totally alone. can't exactly do that with someone on the couch!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I would give them the one room to share. Quite often when families go on holidays they share a room anyway. Your SIL in saving on accommodation by staying at your place so i wouldn't go overboard an inconvenience yourself. If she wants more room she could stay elsewhere.
    I think asking for a contribution to towards expenses/food is only fair. Your grocery and utilities costs are only going to go up during her stay.
    As for meals... maybe just go for really cheap things like stir frys, spag bol, etc.. Or you could make really bland tasting food the SIL might take over cooking and give you a break?.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (29-06-2012)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    How about- DD in with you, DS and 1 y.o together, parents and 14 y.o together.

Theme parks, I would get DF to take his SIL's family to a theme park for the day. Then you get a rest at home by yourself

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (29-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Have you got a slow cooker hun?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Could all the small kids fit in one room? Or your DS and their 1yo at least?

Seems a bit unfair that they get 2 of your bedrooms when they invites themselves!

My only other suggestion is that the 14yo and your DS share, and the parents and their little one share and you take your baby to your room as you said.

And no, I don't think it unfair to ask for some $$. You could always say something like "do you mind chipping in for dinners, or buying some meat" and keep it casual.

And I agree about the parks. You don't have to go if you don't want to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would put your DD in with you, the two littlies in together and the Parents and 14 yr old together. If their one yr old wakes up a bit, maybe put your DS and the 14 yr old in together if you trust him?

-Cooking wise Lasagne is a cheap big meal and served with a green salad and garlic bread is yum! I also find if the little kids dont' eat lasange I can use mince mixture for them with some spaghetti.

-BBQ one night? Sausages, potato bake and green salad?
    -Tacos'?
    - Homemade fish and Chips/ Homemade Burgers and chips? We love making chicken burgers with the pack of chicken schnitzels you get from Woolies for $6 for 6 and they are burger size.
    - Sheperds pie/Cottage pie?
    - Curry?
    - Chicken and Leek risotto?

Lunch
    - Leftovers from the night before
    - Ham/Turkey salad sandwiches
    - Sausage and onion in a bun a la bunning style; )
    - Fruit.

Keep it simple and if they do not like it they can go buy something else out of their own money since they do not have accomodation costs

I would actually ring her and ask what she was thinking about food. I would hate for you to buy it all and they had plans as a family to go out most nights. I would also ask for for your DH to hit them up for some cash or pay entry for you guys to the theme park. Surely the must know you have just had a baby and have only one income?

Also I would tell your DH to go and you and your DD stay home since just too tiring with a baby. Make it out they can have a father son bonding day. If they pay entry then you can take a packed lunch for your DH and son.
    Last edited by Aquillah; 29-06-2012 at 10:36.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would take your baby in with you and give them the choice of one of their children sharing with Jaspar and one with them - let them decide which suits them best. If it was me personally I'd rather sleep with my baby than my teenage son - but let them choose.

As far as lunches go I would just go with ham and salad sandwiches, you can pull everything out and everyone can make their own preferred sandwich. Maybe a cooked chook and salad one day. But this way you are keeping it simple.

As for evening meals, some quick easy meals;

a big pot of soup and bread
    BBQ - sausages & burgers & salad with boiled potatoes
    Lasagne & shepherds pie are something you could make up the day before they arrive
    Baked potatoes with bacon, onion, cheese & salad
    A big tub of ice cream and a few tins of fruit might be good as a back up - especially with a hungry teenage boy in the house.

14 year old boys generally eat a lot! I would get in extra bread and weetbix for breakfast.

Goodluck!