+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    What rot!!

As I've previously stated, don't ever donate to door knockers, donate directly to the charity.
    Obviously you're not in business... do you think people just wake up each day saying "I think I'll go knock randomly on doors today" or could it be that the charity has sent them out to fundraise for a reason. And who cares really how much is spent on admin/ fundraising... if a charity can't grow then how do you expect to solve big social problems or should they just keep costs down and get nowhere.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lilme View Post
    Obviously you're not in business... do you think people just wake up each day saying "I think I'll go knock randomly on doors today" or could it be that the charity has sent them out to fundraise for a reason. And who cares really how much is spent on admin/ fundraising... if a charity can't grow then how do you expect to solve big social problems or should they just keep costs down and get nowhere.
    I own a business and work for multiple businesses.

I'm not really into seeing people profit from charity.

It's better for the donation to go directly to the charity.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

DynamiteandaLazerBeam  (05-04-2017),GrabbyCrabby  (06-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    And who cares really how much is spent on admin/ fundraising...
    I understand that you might not, but some people do care about this.

I imagine the board members would also care to know what the figures are, particularly if they were doing a review of their methods of fundraising and the cost-effectiveness of each in comparison.

could it be that the charity has sent them out to fundraise for a reason.
    These days many people become aware of fundraisers such as the Red Shield Appeal via email, mail, main****** media, social media etc and choose to donate directly.

Even if a charity has sent door-knockers out to fundraise for a reason, surely someone who prefers to donate directly is still helping make a difference in 'this messed up world'?

Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    It's better for the donation to go directly to the charity.
    I'm not sure what was wrong with BlissedOut's comment?
    Last edited by 1234Guest; 06-09-2013 at 13:56.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1234Guest For This Useful Post:

DynamiteandaLazerBeam  (05-04-2017),GrabbyCrabby  (06-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default yes you can NOW!!!

i got this stickers one from the AGL and the big one from the internet. These stickers becomes illegal for door knockers to knock on your door if they did not comply to the agreement and did not pay you $50 per minute. This include sales pitches, religious messages and fund-raising!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmlocks View Post
    i got this stickers one from the AGL and the big one from the internet. These stickers becomes illegal for door knockers to knock on your door if they did not comply to the agreement and did not pay you $50 per minute. This include sales pitches, religious messages and fund-raising!
    I've got one up on my door, for the most part it has stopped door knockers but unfortunately not all!

Thanks
    Reviews
    the charity gets 100%, then its split something like 80% to programs, 10% to admin, 10% to the fundraisers... which is peanuts considering how much they put up with... if you help out for a month or so then cancel, you're costing the charity more so don't waste their time... if you're too selfish to help out for long term or can't afford it then don't waste the guys effort... he'd rather you say no straight up, than waste his energy on gutless people who can't say no thank you... they work hard enough to make a big difference in this messed up world which, by the looks of it is more than you're ever going to be doing.
    It sounds like you are suggesting that if people don't donate long term to every single charity that approaches them that they don't care or don't do anything to help others. That's a pretty long bow to draw. How do you know people don't donate in other ways, donate to other charities, fundraise themselves, or volunteer?
    Also, people can and do have their own ideas about different charities. One may support certain charities financially, but not others, according to their beliefs and values. This does not make somebody 'gutless'.

ETA: I know a few people who work for not for profits, they are dedicated and hardworking people, and they do care a lot about the cause, but I can assure you that the primary reason they go to work each morning is to earn money - because, like everybody else, they have to pay their bills somehow!
    Last edited by DynamiteandaLazerBeam; 05-04-2017 at 20:43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    the charity gets 100%, then its split something like 80% to programs, 10% to admin, 10% to the fundraisers... which is peanuts considering how much they put up with... if you help out for a month or so then cancel, you're costing the charity more so don't waste their time... if you're too selfish to help out for long term or can't afford it then don't waste the guys effort... he'd rather you say no straight up, than waste his energy on gutless people who can't say no thank you... they work hard enough to make a big difference in this messed up world which, by the looks of it is more than you're ever going to be doing.
    What a load of cr@p! The OP has every right to refuse people who solicit business at her door. In this day and age there are so many ways to get your message out there - social media, email, radio advertising, television, hell drop a flyer in the mailbox. If people are interested they'll contact you!

Some people such as myself and the OP detest having the privacy of their home invaded. That doesn't make us awful people who aren't doing anything to make a difference in the world. You don't know anything about the OP so who are you to pass judgement?!

And people who can't say no thank you are not gutless, maybe they find it hard to respond to the disgusting hard sell tactics that many door knockers employ.

OP I'm with you. I hate door knockers and refuse out of principle to support any business or group who knocks on my door unsolicited. I got some free Do Not Knock stickers from my local council website (Brisbane). It doesn't apply to charities though but when they knock I interrupt before they can get into it and say sorry not interested then close the door on them. If they're rude enough to knock on my door uninvited then I don't mind being rude back.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

DT75  (06-04-2017),LaDiDah  (05-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    This thread has been resurrected from 2013...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't donate to door knockers but i do volunteer once a month at my local salvos as well as donate clothes, toys and food. My kids and i also volunteer at community meals 2 to 3 times a week.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Unschooling4 For This Useful Post:

DynamiteandaLazerBeam  (09-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I just point at the sign and if they attempt to guilt-trip I hold my hand up and say "You're argument would be more effective if you weren't so inconsiderate. That sign is there for a reason. You have no idea if I have a dying child or if I just don't like conversation, or if my kids are terrified of strangers. Try some respect." and close the door.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (08-04-2017),babyno1onboard  (06-04-2017),Mama Mirabelle  (06-04-2017)