+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Anyone living in a shed?

DH and I are thinking of purchasing a block of land and building a shed to live in whilst we save. We have 2 little boys also so this is a consideration! Any tips appreciated as I dont know where to start and what to research, thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was looking at doing this once and was told that the council in the area I was looking was really strict on the practice, and would only allow you to do so for a limited time and with progress towards building a house.

So you need to look into council limitations.

Rutabaga is offline Getting it together, one day at a time.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We're doing this now, it's quite a common practise around here. If you set the shed up well before hand it can be very comfortable. My main gripes are that our shed isn't insulated, so we freeze or swelter depending on the season, and the dust and cobwebs. If the shed was lined we wouldn't have a problem with the last two, but we only planned to be in it for 6 months - 3.5 years on and still waiting...

Our shed is fully to code - as a shed. If we'd nominated it as a dwelling we would have had to spend a LOT more on it, it cost us over 60 k so that would have taken the cost well over 100 k. I feel completely safe from cyclones or break ins, but without that certification insurance agencies won't give you home and contents, so we have had to go other insurance. If your not comfortable with that it would pay to look at buying a demountable.

Dp built shelving for our kitchen, but there are no cupboards. If I were doing it again I'd get a flat pack kitchen, simply to have doors to keep the dust down. We have temporary walls to separate bedrooms. Our bathroom/laundry is under our water tank, which works well for us but might be a PITA with younger kids.

Hope this is useful.

ETA - We get by quite well with a convection microwave, camp stove and

ETA, again. Money wise we got a draw down mortgage, which has been great for keeping our interest down. We had the place revalued after building, fencing, put a bore in etc and our limit was increased by enough to build an awesome house to lock up stage. Got our owner builder paperwork on Tuesday! Happy Dance!!
    Last edited by Rutabaga; 28-06-2012 at 07:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Hi i been living in one for a while now. I will write more when i get to a computer. You can pm me with and questions

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by katherinelouise View Post
    We're doing this now, it's quite a common practise around here. If you set the shed up well before hand it can be very comfortable. My main gripes are that our shed isn't insulated, so we freeze or swelter depending on the season, and the dust and cobwebs. If the shed was lined we wouldn't have a problem with the last two, but we only planned to be in it for 6 months - 3.5 years on and still waiting...

Our shed is fully to code - as a shed. If we'd nominated it as a dwelling we would have had to spend a LOT more on it, it cost us over 60 k so that would have taken the cost well over 100 k. I feel completely safe from cyclones or break ins, but without that certification insurance agencies won't give you home and contents, so we have had to go other insurance. If your not comfortable with that it would pay to look at buying a demountable.

Dp built shelving for our kitchen, but there are no cupboards. If I were doing it again I'd get a flat pack kitchen, simply to have doors to keep the dust down. We have temporary walls to separate bedrooms. Our bathroom/laundry is under our water tank, which works well for us but might be a PITA with younger kids.

Hope this is useful.

ETA - We get by quite well with a convection microwave, camp stove and

ETA, again. Money wise we got a draw down mortgage, which has been great for keeping our interest down. We had the place revalued after building, fencing, put a bore in etc and our limit was increased by enough to build an awesome house to lock up stage. Got our owner builder paperwork on Tuesday! Happy Dance!!
    Thanks for the info!
    I have lots of questions!
    How big is your shed? What size would be considered comfortable with 2-3 bedrooms for the shed? (the block will be approx 1000m2)

Would we need to insulate the whole shed?

How did you build temporary walls?

What is the exta cost involved in classing it as a shed versus a liveable shed? Who do we pay this to or is this a difference in material costs?

We are trying to decide whether we should purchase the block and build a liveable shed while we save or purchase the block and build a house straight away (was also looking at steel kit homes) We would rather go in the shed for a couple of years until we can save more though - we just dont want to overspend on the shed and want to be aware of hidden costs.

We live in a cyclone area so the materials would have to be D2 (?)rated, making the materials more expensive. DH can build the kit shed himself. We run a business from home so the shed will be used for this also eventually. Our local dealer in town is Ranbuild but Im just so unsure of what type and sizing?!

I think my best bet is to start a list of trades and cost it will take to build the shed..

Rutabaga is offline Getting it together, one day at a time.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm going to have to call dp and ask for some of these! Will reply when I can catch him.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rutabaga For This Useful Post:

SugarplumMummy  (28-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by katherinelouise View Post
    I'm going to have to call dp and ask for some of these! Will reply when I can catch him.
    Thanks you are awesome! Havent managed to tie down my DH yet and nut it out. Are you guys in cyclone area?

Thanks
    Reviews
    A shed that is certified to live in will be more expensive. It needs a heavier slab, it needs more bracing, and frame needs to be strong enough to handle the weight of the plaster. It would also need to go to a draftsmen to get an energy efficiency rating.

You can get away with getting it passed out by council as just a shed With plumbing for a toilet i think it was, although when you start putting plumbing in for toilet and shower, sink area etc the council will get sus that will be used as a livable dwelling and ask for all of that anyway. If you do choose to go the "just a shed" route make sure you get your council inspection done while it still looks like a shed.

But ask your dealer, they should be able to answer all of your questions. Keep in mind they won't actually be able to tell you to choose the "just shed" but what you do after they supply it is up to you.

Good luck - we used to own a Ranbuild dealership, they are fantastic quality.