+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My labour was loooong - regular contractions 6 mins apart starting at 2am on Saturday morning and bub born at 8am Monday morning! But I can honestly say that labour was not painful - uncomfortable and exhausting but not painful. My bub was also posterior, and even so, it never even crossed my mind to ask for drugs. I just took each contraction as it came, knowing I was one step closer to birthing my baby.

As for the birthing part, I had a vacuum assisted delivery so it was very quick and over in no time. Luckily, I only had a first degree tear.

We did a Hypnobirthing course which was fantastic - it educated and prepared us for a natural birth and the skills we learned got us through labour and birth. Highly recommend.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Polly6034 For This Useful Post:

backgroundnoise  (24-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thank you for your responses girls! I feel so uneducated with all this I just want to know everything!
    What's it like when your waters break? Does it keep flowing and all icky once it breaks or what? I know all waters are different and some break in bits but in some movies its dripping down the ladies legs and stuff like a horror movie

Polly6034: Did you go to Hospital on the Saturday morning? Why did you go so long? (If you don't mind me asking haha I'm so interested in knowing as much as possible)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a natural birth with no pain killers but I feel I was uneducated going through it and felt unsupported by the midwives who were with me.

I started with contractions from 8am all the way though to 10pm, ranging from 5-10 minutes. Around midnight they were 3-5mins apart so I called the hospital who told me to have a shower and get some sleep, which I did. Around 1am the contractions were definitely 3 mins apart so I went off to hospital.
    When examined I was told I had done most of the hard work at home and I was close to delivering bub and 5cm dilated.
    Contractions continued every few minutes til 10am when I delivered DH.
    Midwives swapped over at 8am and by now i was told i was 8cm dilated. The new middie examined me and said im still just 4cm! I cried at this point in despair as the pain was awful!!
    So the pain from contractions was excruciating. I was pacing the room. The fit ball just annoyed me... DH just held me tight through each contraction which was all I wanted.
    I was writhing in pain and the stupid midwife said, "oh let's have a look now". After examining me she said i was fully dilated and ready and to push with the pain. (so she was wrong with her 4cm thing at 8am!)

At this point I felt no contractions just constant pain and just wanted my baby out!! So just pushed and had bub out within 10-20 mins!!
    While I was in blinding pain she told me "oh this is nothing, wait until they are toddlers!!" wtf?? Hahhaa I can only laugh now...
    So yea I had a 2nd degree tear and that was so uncomfortable for about a week! :/

I'm sure ur experience will be much better like many of the others above. Just read as much as u can and don't rely on anyone else to take you through this.. My second will be awesome
    my sis on the other hand had a painfree, tear-free, natural home birth lucky girl..

5. The Following User Says Thank You to brownsugar For This Useful Post:

backgroundnoise  (25-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was induced (12 days over) for both DD and DS.
    DD - went to hospital on thesunday had the tape inserted waited in hospital watching movies playing games walking around etc all day (nothing) DH went home about 8 pm and I started getting a few niggles slept for a while then in the wee small hrs I was pacing the corridors again with the small niggles. 7 am taken to the birth suite checked 3 cms.
    Hooked up to the drip and waters broken at 9am - dd's heart rate had been nearly 200 bpm for a while overnight so they had me on the ctg regularly but I spent ages sitting on the loo as it was most comfy I used the gas a bit but it made me nauseous so I stopped. By then I was back in bed (on my back with the bed fairly upright) I was zoning out between contractions so the midwife cranked the drip as high as it would go cause I was "sleeping". DD was then born at 1.45 with a small tear (3 internal and 5 external stitches) I was up and showered fairly fast. 7lb 3oz.

DS - went to hospital at 4.30 pm (3cms when I got there) headed to the ward for a while then to the birth suite 2 drs took 4 attempts to put the drip in decided to call an anesthetist waited until midnight before she arrived and put the drip in the crook of my elbow (worlds silliest spot as each time I bent my arm the drip slowed/stopped) they then broke my waters and left me be for a while (chatted with mum and DH napped) I ended up kneeling on the bed leaning over a beanbag I was offered the gas but told the MW about the nausea last time so she gave me an anti-nausea tablet and the gas which took the edge off until transition/pushing where it was annoying so I stopped I gave birth on all fours to DS at 5.20 am. (8lb 2 oz) the midwife said she'd never seen a cord as short and twisted it looked almost plaited she thinks it was pulling him back so with a longer cord he most likely would have arrived even faster. I was up and showered within 20 mins and would have gone home after the min 4 hrs but I was group b strep positive so they insisted on keeping us in for 72 hrs.

All in all I had 2 great births despite being induced no cascade of intervention or dramas as a result of being induced.

Good luck with your birth xxxx

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Seacretsquirrel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by backgroundnoise View Post
    Thank you for your responses girls! I feel so uneducated with all this I just want to know everything!
    What's it like when your waters break? Does it keep flowing and all icky once it breaks or what? I know all waters are different and some break in bits but in some movies its dripping down the ladies legs and stuff like a horror movie

Polly6034: Did you go to Hospital on the Saturday morning? Why did you go so long? (If you don't mind me asking haha I'm so interested in knowing as much as possible)
    We didn't go to hospital straight away. From what we learned about birth and labour, we wanted to stay home as long as possible (more comfortable, eat/drink as I pleased, no-one watching me or offering me drugs/Syntocin/breaking waters). By 3am Sunday morning, things felt different (in hindsight this is probably when bub turned around) so we went to the hospital so I could be checked out. The MW did an examination of my cervix and I was only 1cm! I'm so grateful that we requested that only my husband be told of my progress - I would have been shattered to be told that, after 24 hours of labour, my cervix was the same as 3 days earlier at my OB appt!!

My labour was probably so long because bub turned posterior. After our first hospital checkup, we went home, and then went back to hospital at 8pm on Sunday night. By then I wanted them to check that bub was ok because it had been so long. I was 4cm by that stage and slowly progressed from there. Toward the end they were worried about bub and said there was a chance of requiring a c-section if things hadn't progressed in 2 hours. With every contraction, I visualized my cervix relaxing and opening, and thankfully my body responded and I was able to have a vaginal birth.

Re: waters breaking - mine didn't break until well into labour which is quite normal. I could feel a little water during a contraction, but TBH I wasn't sure if I'd wee'd myself or if my waters had broken!! I carried a maternity pad in my handbag just in case my waters broke when I was at the shops! I did have a 'show' at the start of my labour, which was a small amount of blood stained mucous (I expected it to be a huge loss of this bloody mucousy mess, but it wasn't in my case)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Polly6034 For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Izzys Mummy's story is very similar to mine.

DD's birth was spontaneous labour, felt a bit of period type pain in the evening. Small contractions through the night, nothing to worry about, I would have been able to sleep through them only I was so big and uncomfy that I kept getting up to move around a bit.

Contractions built up during the day but were all very manageable. I did some housework, phoned my Mum and when it started to get a little uncomfy (but still nothing to worry about) I watched a movie whilst sitting on the fit ball and leaning my arms on a stool.

Started to get uncomfy about lunch time but nothing like what you see in the movies, no screaming etc. I just breathed through the contractions and counted through them. (If a contraction lasts for 30 seconds then if you count through them, by the time you get to 15 it's all down hill from there). SIL turned up at 1pm to mind DS, DF and I left for the hospital. Contractions were frequent (about every 4 to 5 mins) and woudl you believe we got stuck in a traffic jam Made it to the hospital at 1:30 when my waters broke. Went straight into a birthing room. Contractions were hard at this point but gas took the edge off enough that I could ask for music and what not. I asked for an internal and the MW's words were music to my ears "you're a good 8 cm". DD was born at 2:05. I did have a PPH but the birth was fantastic. As a PP said, if birth was like that I could do that every year. I just can't do pregnancy though.

In contrast to DS's birth which was induced using the drip, I was screaming in pain within minutes and had an epi. I had every form of intervention possible (S&S, ARM, gel, drip, vacuum, epi) and it left me feeling incompetent and (I can't think of the word right now), um, just really cr@ppy.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I ended up being induced but I had a wonderful birth so I hope you don't mind if I share my story.

I went into hospital early in the morning at 38+2 as I had started bleeding. Turns out that I was in early labour and was at 2cm. I was put on the monitor and having mild contractions - I could feel my belly tightening but there was no pain. Nothing much happened that day but later that night the bleeding changed and my hindwaters started leaking.

My Ob saw me early in the morning at 38+3 and gave me the option of being induced that day or the following day. I was pretty keen to have this baby so decided to be induced that day. She broke my waters at 11.30am, which didn't hurt at all. There was a big gush and it felt very strange - very warm! After that DH and I went for a long walk around the hospital to encourage things along. After my waters broke I would get small gushes every so often. As my Ob explained to me, the baby will be weeing and your body is still making amniotic fluid so small amounts will continue to come out every so often.

I began to feel the contractions after my waters were broken but they were very manageable and different to what I expected - I thought I would feel them across my whole belly but they were very low.

At 3.30pm I was not quite 4 cm so I was put on the synto drip. I continued walking up and down the corridor and needed to stop and lean against the walls for each contraction. We moved back into the birthing suite and I bounced on the birth ball for a bit but I needed to stop for each contraction and got pretty tired of getting up so often, so I moved onto the bed. I laboured kneeling over the head of the bed for the next two hours, until I needed to push.

At about 5.30 I found that I wasn't able to relax between the contractions any more. The pain wasn't bothering me so much, but it was really important to me that I could relax and let my body do its thing. I was given pethidine which was just what I needed.

At some point I tried the gas but gave that up pretty quickly as I needed to think about it too much. I didn't want to think at all.

I did ask for an epi just before 7pm - but when the midwife told me my baby would be here before they could organise it I forgot about it and then it was time to push! During the first push there was a massive gush of waters. I found that pushing didn't hurt at all, it felt great to be doing it. DS was born screaming at 7.36pm, straight up onto my chest

I had a small tear with two stitches - didn't even feel the tear.

I was showering by myself two hours after his birth and felt great - such a high. I can't wait to do it all again.

I hope that helps, best of luck!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamilicious For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by backgroundnoise View Post
    I highly recommend reading Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. This book absolutely gave me the confidence to have a natural drug-free birth (full of lots of great birth stories too)

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissRose1 For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (25-06-2012),backgroundnoise  (25-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My natural birth went like this.
    Woke up sat morning with mild pains that lasted most of the day. Went about the day knowing this was it. Dropped DD off at her dads, went visiting IL's and my mum.
    Rang my midwife to let her know what was going on. She said to come in and speak with her. Did that had an internal to find out I was 1cm dilated. Told me to go home and rest.
    Well I don't know what she did in that internal but as soon as we got home it was full on! The contractions were coming hard and fast and I couldn't talk or move through them.
    We hopped in the shower, we paced the house until they were totally unbearable. Rang my midwife again who told DH to come back in.
    The car ride was hell.
    Got to birthing suite dropped to my knees and stayed there.
    Started having the urge to push not long after we arrived.
    I definitely had the moment of " I can't do this" this is where I lost focus and panicked.
    But my body took over and DS was born 1 HR 45 mins after arriving at the hospital. No gas no pain relief nothing. No tearing either.
    The most fantastic experience of my life, after having an induction with DD with the drip, epidural and forceps delivery, tearing I can honestly say the second time around with spontaneous labor was awesome!!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to diesal444 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by EmyB View Post
    The best thing you can do is educate yourself beforehand. I was quite determined to have a natural labour if possible. I read various birth skills books, researched different pain management techniques including vocalisations, massage, TENS machines, water injections etc as well as other stuff in case I needed it (gas, pethidine etc). I took raspberry leaf tea tablets which I believe helped a lot too. I walked a lot in the days leading up to labour.
    Hey EmyB can you tell me if you ended up using the water injections? I have a scoliosis (bent spine) and used to suffer quite badly from back pain. Most surprisingly I have had so little pain during pregnancy, but am concerned I may have alot of back pain during labour. Also when did you start the raspberry leaf tablets? TIA x