+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Waiting list for grommets - SE Melbourne

Hi all,

My little girl has had ear problems since about 4 months old and after a lot of ENT visits and ruptured eardrums we are now on the wait list for grommets through Southern Health (because we don't have private health).

Can anyone give me positive/negative experiences with how long they had to wait? She's cat 2 which is meant to be within 90 days but after speaking to someone yesterday she gave me the idea the wait is a lot longer.

I've been told you can get in quicker through some doctors but just don't know! The alternative is to pay $2200 to go private -

At the moment every slight cold or sniffle turns into an ear infection and a lot of sleepless nights/pain for her and stress for everyone. Her hearing is impaired and she has fluid on both ears.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is having Adenoids removed and Grommets put in but we are going private. His operation is on the 18 July but are on the waiting list for any cancellations as his hearing is also impaired as he has fluid in both ears. This was booked in around 3 weeks ago. So for us it's not a huge wait. As for the public system I thought the wait was longer than 90 days but I could be wrong. I was told when my DD had her Tonsils and Adenoids removed that going public for either Tonsils, Adenoids or Grommets the waiting could be as long as 12 months so we also went private with her.

Maybe harrass them to get her in earlier.

Good luck, hope you don't have to wait to long.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Waiting list for grommets - SE Melbourne

Thanks for your reply, I hope your little one's surgery went smoothly. We wound up getting in quicker through a lovely doctor who operates out of Frankston hospital. To date no EI fingers crossed it stats that way! And I now have private health so will NEVER be stuck waiting again lol!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My son was the lowest category & it took over a year. It was about a year from when he actually got placed on the waiting list but that didn't happen until we'd attended a clinic at Monash which was a couple of months after the appointment with the private ENT we'd seen. His op was eventually done at Casey & they were wonderful there. Looks like he has to have it done again & I'm hoping he gets a higher category this time as he's already 10 months delayed in speech & I don't want to add to it by him having to endure such a big wait again.

By the way the private ENT had said it would take about 4 months through the public system, the Monash ENT said about 2 months. The wait list website thingy that was available at the time (not sure if it's still about) said average wait for ENT at Casey was 6 months yet we waited double that.

Your child is a different category so hard to say how long the wait will be but I would say it could be longer than what they tell you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Melameen View Post
    Thanks for your reply, I hope your little one's surgery went smoothly. We wound up getting in quicker through a lovely doctor who operates out of Frankston hospital. To date no EI fingers crossed it stats that way! And I now have private health so will NEVER be stuck waiting again lol!
    Hi Melameen,
    Just wondering about the private health insurance as we think my DS will need grommets as well but we don't have him on our private health insurance (I never use it so I forgot to add him on it when he was born, we went public). Do you know if its classed as pre-existing condition? We haven't seen a specalist yet, he had a hearing test last week and it wasn't very well and he seems to have a cold every week.
    Thanks.