+ Reply to Thread
    Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Ear thermometer and grommets

My dd (2yrs old) had grommets inserted a week ago. As she was quite hot last night, I wanted to check her temp so got the ear thermometer out put it in her ear, as i was doing this i remembered her grommets and took it out. I don't remember pushing it in very far, but now I am worried that it might have done some damage - she didnt cry or anything when I put it in there but of course paranoia has struck.

I called the ENT officd and the receptionist said the doctor was busy but she would try to answer the problem, she said as long as i didn't push it in too far it should be fine but just don't put anything else in there.

Anyone else know anything about this i.e. whether or not you can use ear thermometers (not that i would do it again but just to sure i havent stuffed up).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh, i never even considered this as a potential issue. DD has has grommets for 6mths or so and we always use an ear thermometer....so does our GP. It was never mentioned as being an issue in the (thorough) paperwork we received ftom the ENT either. That being said.....we never specifically checked with the ENT so will be interested to hear what yours says! I will try to remember to check with ours in a fortnight when we are there.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (22-06-2012)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The grommets are inserted far further into the ear than a thermometer could reach, don't worry!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (22-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD1 had grommets a few years ago and i never thought about not using an ear thermometer, i assume as the dr always uses one plus the similar looking thing they use to look in the ear it would be fine.

To my knowledge the grommets are a fair way in.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (22-06-2012)

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    thanks ladies….i feel so much better now. As I did it I was like "uh oh"….but now that I see others have done the same and it makes sense it would not go in that far I am going to stop worrying now.

Thanks everyone

I have an appointment with my ENT next week so I'll ask there as well and let you know, but I think it sounds as though its just me being a worrywart again.

While on the topic does anyone use ear plugs while shampooing their kids with grommets?

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    No ear plugs at all here, not even for swimming lessons. I was shocked at first as it was a big no-no when I was little, but our ENT said that ear plugs had been found to have no benefit.

The exception is dirty water, so no ponds or lakes, and no going under water once the bath water is a bit grubby.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (23-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We use blu tack if DD is washing hair in the bath but dont bother if she is having a shower as its clean running water (as opposed to dirty and soapy in the bath). Ear plugs/blu tack etc. were recommended to us if we were to take her swimming.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (23-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No earplugs but i used a 'ear banz' headband to prevent water being splashed in her ears in the bath or shower and in the pool (luckily she never liked getting her head under the water so it mostly just prevented splashes of water getting in

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (23-06-2012)