+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Swaddling a 3 1/2 month old

So I was told now that my baby likes to kick his legs around more, I shouldn't be swaddling him anymore when he sleeps, as it doesn't give him the freedom to move his legs around which apparently can cause weak joints & hip problems...

So I stopped wrapping him & started using one of those love to dream wraps, thinking it would be a good stepping stone towards no wrap at all, cause his arms are confined, but can still kick his legs about.

He's been in this for a week now, & none of us are getting any sleep! He's waking every 1-2 hours, & I'm having to feed to settle every time, I'm exhausted!!

I think he still needs the tightness of being fully wrapped up, legs included, in order to sleep!

But I'm worried this will cause him hip problems.

Any advice/suggestions/personal experiences? Oh, he's 3 1/2 months old, still sleeping on his back & not rolling or anything yet.

Thanks in advance. x

Thanks
    Reviews
    We still swaddle our 4mo(in a love to dream fully zipped).
    If your bub is free to move and kick when awake I don't see how swaddling them would make a difference(would they really kick that much in their sleep?)
    Do what you feel is right. If you still want to transition to no swaddle, try wrapping but making it a bit looser (or a bigger size swaddle), that way it's not such a big change.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry just to clarify -- my DS has stopped sleeping since we've moved from swaddling in a blanket, to using the love to dream swaddle -- the love to dream is what's waking him....

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd keep wrapping if that's what works! Have never heard that it can cause hip damage and my DD was wrapped tight until 7-8 months old

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd keep wrapping too. I haven't heard of it causing hip problems either only know to stop when rolling. However I'm still wrapping ny 5 month old till she rolls more efficiently.

Also my dd started waking up more at 3.5 months and did so for a while. Hopefully in your case it's just the weakest that's causing it!

Sent from my LT15i